Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Fire Worms

During feeding time, I see a few red worms (fire worms I think), coming out of the holes in the rock. I've heard different opinions about these guys...some say they are beneficial while others say they will sting your fish. Should I get rid of them...and if so...how? I try to pull them out with tweasers, but i'm not very successful at doing so. They contract very fast back into their holes!!! Quick little buggers
Old 07/06/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Bristol worms can be a pesky intruder, but are generally reef safe. Get a dottyback and he'll probably eat up some of those.

You said you think their fireworms, but generally fireworms are larger; they are also reef safe. Fireworms can be identified by their white main body and red outline; bristol worms are much smaller (1") and are solid in colour.
Old 07/06/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

They are definitely fireworms than....they are at least 1 inch in length

http://14gallonbiocube.blogspot.com
Old 07/06/2007, 03:33 PM
Where the future begins!

There are many many different types of bristleworms, and not all of them are a solid colour like a previous person posted. Most of the ones in my tank are pink on the ends with a solid blue center stripe. I have several in my tank that are at least 5 inches long.

You need to do some research on the different types of worms in our tanks. Generally, most of them are reef safe. The ones you really have to worry about are the ones that grow to several feet in length. Most of those are predators towards something in your tank whether it be your corals, inverts, or fish.

What you probably have are fine, don't worry about them just yet. If they become large or you notice things disappearing in your tank, or your corals not doing well... then I would worry. For right now, though, you're fine.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 07/06/2007, 04:27 PM
RC Mod

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

That article might be useful. Most of the time, the worms that come with live rock are good to have.
Old 07/06/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

I'd leave them alone unless you can somehow positively identify them as harmful. I have more bristle worms in my tank then I can possibly count and have never had trouble with them. They are generally good sand stirers and an imprtant portion of your clean up crew