Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Need some Lighting input.

I don't have much room to work with and am becoming frustrated with all the input I've been reading. I have sat down and twiddled my thumbs over and over about how many watts/lumen/PAR I would need to keep a minimul amount of sps growing in my tank. I am currently contemplating over some heat issues as well, I don't want a big ugly chiller sitting next sexy stand not to mention the energy part. Below are some pictures/measurements I have to work with. I have been eyeballing some PFO mini pendents [url]http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_metal_halide_pfo_hqi_mini_pendant.html
Long story short I need some help with my decisions, can someone please shine some light on this subject.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Last edited by reefkingdom; 01/01/2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

not enough height in the canopy for a MH if you only have 5.5". That tank is gonna be difficult to light with that canopy. Why not just get a nice MH fixture/pendant and hang it above the tank w/o the canopy? That will help with your heat by not trapping it in the canopy. You could even hang a nice T5 fixture if you wanted too. Just a thought.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

That would be a waste of an expensive canopy, pluse there are plenty of pendents to fit a (16.5 L X 16.5 W X 5.5 H)
IE
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...i_pendant.html

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/...66374306837e7e

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=547
Old 01/01/2008, 09:40 PM
Frugal Reefer

You could also just cut the top open and put a pendant on top.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm not going to put a hang on pendent above the canopy. I can easily install some fans on the back of it without a problem. You can't cut a hole in the middle if you wanted too, look at where the top flips open and where the water opening is.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Heat will definitely be an issue if you stick an MH in there. But, you might want to take a look at the JBJ K2 Viper. It wouldn't take up a lot of space inside the canopy, which would allow you to you access the tank without removing the canopy/lighting fixture. Put a couple of fans on the back and you should be good to go.

Good luck and nice looking setup!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

As a Civil Engineer with alot of study in materials science, I wouldn't recommend putting the halide in that short canopy due to the acrylic. The material under that kind of heat will warp and unless you but a turbo blower fan in the back of the canopy it isn't going to work. Just bust out the DIY skills and make the canopy high enough so the bulb will be 12" from the water line and then you can get a cheaper retro that will fit or build one.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saboral
As a Civil Engineer with alot of study in materials science, I wouldn't recommend putting the halide in that short canopy due to the acrylic. The material under that kind of heat will warp and unless you but a turbo blower fan in the back of the canopy it isn't going to work. Just bust out the DIY skills and make the canopy high enough so the bulb will be 12" from the water line and then you can get a cheaper retro that will fit or build one.
I really doubt that
Old 01/01/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Iwould agree that with so little clearance and space that a halide would be way too hot. Good luck with your seach though!
Old 01/02/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

what about the 14" solaris I4 that would be sufficient enough?