Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Dialing in an EV-240 w/ Mag 18

A quick question about the EV-240

I am running an EV-240 with a Mag 18 and water overflows through the collection cup. Is a Mag 18 too large of a pump for an EV-240? Do I need to use a ball valve on the Mag 18 to decrease the pump's output and if so, why does AquaC even recommend using a Mag 18 if it's too powerful?

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Old 01/01/2008, 09:34 PM
Frugal Reefer

Is the gate valve on the EV-240 all the way open? If so you will need to add a gate valve to the output side of the pump. I would go with a gate valve over a ball valve because they are more precise/easier to adjust.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Is the gate valve on the EV-240 all the way open? If so you will need to add a gate valve to the output side of the pump. I would go with a gate valve over a ball valve because they are more precise/easier to adjust.
Thanks for your response.

The gate valve is all the way open. I will add a gate valve to the Mag 18.

Rick
Old 01/01/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I think a mag 18 is a recommended pump.
Is it a new skimmer? Has it broken it?
I wouldn't put a gate valve on the pump side. It will make it run hotter, and waste electricity.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefergeorge
I think a mag 18 is a recommended pump.
Is it a new skimmer? Has it broken it?
I wouldn't put a gate valve on the pump side. It will make it run hotter, and waste electricity.

The skimmer is new. I'm unable to get the water level in the grey box high enough. All efforts result in foam flowing at ungodly speeds to the top and out of the collection cup.

My adjustments consist of tinkering with the gate valve (on the skimmer's output) and the air valve on the skimmer as the directions instruct.

Please help me!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:34 PM
Frugal Reefer

OH!! You just need to let it run for a week or so and it should straighten itself out. I thought you meant the water level was in the cup. Just let it overflow (assuming it is in the sump) and it will get better day by day.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!