Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/14/2007, 10:26 AM
I am a super nose picker

Its a 24000 BTU Sanyo.Sanyo has a 6 year warranty on all parts and labor.You can get yourself a cheaper brand.You will pay a lot less for a cheaper china model.Most of these units are made in China or Korea anyways.You can get a cheap 12 000 BTU unit for as low as $1100.Probably less in the U.S.Here in Canada we seem to want to pay more for things!My buddy bought like 50 cheap units and had problems with a few of them but you will save money in the end.If you have someone that will install for you at a good price then you are fine.If you find them at HD try to get them to install if the price is good.This way you will get them to warranty the unit or get someone who knows what he is doing.Its not something that you can do yourself.Pipes have to be silver solder and the unit must be filled with refrigerant.Its not a DIY project like a window unit.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:53 AM
no time for spell check!

by the way i forgot to add in my last post.

thank you for what you are doing for our country.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
Here's a pic of my Battery
Old 12/14/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Harleyguy, on your stand, consider this, do you like bending down to see the tank?...NO

I dont thats why I had my stand made 47" tall, add 24" of tank and the fish swims in front of me as I am standing in front of the tank, BTW I am 6'2", it may be difficult to clean, but you are going to use a small ladder anyway.

thanks for your tour, steel rain baby

Jose
Old 12/14/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Hope you have long arms. Mine was going to be same size and I changed it from 36" to 30" and glad I did.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Scuba gear will do.....
Old 12/14/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
by the way not to burst your bubble but I had a 30" tall tank and it was nice to look at but a pain in the *** to get my hand down to the bottom.Your tank will be 5 ft wide.You will need to get a long pair of tongs or get wet if you have to move any corals.My tank was 150 gal joke.
My last tank was 32" deep with a 2-3" sand bed and I didn't have any problem. I understand the extra 4" is a lot, but I really don't mind getting wet.

Quote:
the big question i have it wat kind of tank will this be? comunity fish and sps tank or soofties/lps tank? alot depends on what you want to house in the tank. then you need to match the equiptment to those animals and bio load.
The depth will, I think, help me because I want a mixed reef and plan on running 8-10 400w MH 14K. I figure I should be able to keep everything from SPS and LPS to softies.

I will keep typical reef safe fish. I plan on computer system for control (haven't decided which one yet). I will have a large refugium, and probably 2 large sumps, QT tank, and grow-out tank. I think I'm going to jump on the band-wagon and build my own skimmer, but I will buy a GEO reactor. I'm not going to run Ozone, but I will have a couple of media chambers. I had a 300 Gpd ro/di, and it was really overkill. I will most likely go with a 100 Gpd and a 50 Gpd as a back-up. I will also have a mixing tank set-up. I am thinking around 3 pumps right now 1 CL and 2 returns. Skimmer will be gravity fed. I am ordering the tank with 6 drains 3x2" and 3x1.5" (better to much than not enough).

I'm not sure exactly how much flow I am going to need and welcome suggestions.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
now if you don't mind the look of the tunze will you save money in the end?Yes you will.The tunze aren't cheap but if you can get the large ones they push a lot of water and use less wattage.Plumbing part for the cl are expensive.So you won't save money on that.I got good prices for my plumbing and it still cost me a small fortune.Tank your size $1000 easy for plumbing and thats a very fair estimate(it will probably cost more. the sequence pumps will use more wattage than the tunze or the ecotech (if they don't burn a hole in the tank) Plus your tank will be to thick.
Personally I think the Tunze's are hideous. I would use them if I could hide them, but that's the only way. I'm not sure I fallow the last part... What will burn a hole in my tank? And will the tank be too thick for Tunze? My tank will only be 3/4" Euro top and bottom with cross braces.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar74
If it's not been mentioned, I'd suggest an AGE Aquarium. They have a PVC bottom and any type of combination of acrylics and plastics, and glass. They can be drilled through the bottom without any compromise on strength. It's where it's at for flow patterns.

But $$$$$ Good luck! Can't wait to see the build.
I'm fairly sure I have my builder picked, but I'll look at anything, got a website for me?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy One
I'd go with a larger tank over a Viper any day for half that you can get a 03-04 cobra with some mods and make just as much power. (It's such a disgrace that Chryler and Ford even united together anyway.
BTW my 850+ horspower car can keep sitting in the trailer untill I get that new 300 gallon I've been looking at!

Harleyguy don't get discouraged over someone elses opinion do what you think is best.
I agree, my last car was an 06 C6 Vette, I loved it, but I'll love the tank more....
Old 12/14/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
I'm looking for a wife... Do they always come with a large reef????
NO, I had to work mine into it. I started with a 10g Nano and here I am. She dosn't mind as long as she dosn't have to do anything with it but sit back and enjoy (kind of how I feel about the lawn... )
Old 12/14/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
by the way i forgot to add in my last post.

thank you for what you are doing for our country.
Thanks spazz. I love what I do.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

12 x 60 x 36 will require at least 1" if not 1.25" acrylic. As far as depth, go with at least 36". That's how deep my 500 is and the tall SPS look stunning. I have some colonies from frags to over 24' tall, before I had a pruning party. I think you will need a way to move your lights off the tank. So you can get across the top to help reach the bottom. I used heavy duty roller guides to slide the light rack back off the tank. This gives me 30" to the ceiling....
Old 12/14/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seamonkey2
Harleyguy, on your stand, consider this, do you like bending down to see the tank?...NO

I dont thats why I had my stand made 47" tall, add 24" of tank and the fish swims in front of me as I am standing in front of the tank, BTW I am 6'2", it may be difficult to clean, but you are going to use a small ladder anyway.

thanks for your tour, steel rain baby

Jose
Let's see, my wife is 5'7" so if she is looking center mass (not including DSB), then the stand should be 47" tall That's just too tall. I think eye level should be just below the water line. I'm 5'9" so that would make the stand 35" (sounds good to me). I would rather it be a little lower so everone (even my kids) can enjoy it, rather than too high so that short people have to use a step stool... lol

And thanks for the kind words

"King of Battle"

We Hear and Strike
Old 12/14/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
Scuba gear will do.....
I think just a good mask and snorkel will do
Old 12/14/2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

I would make the inside stand clearance 36" Don't know why, but even numbers always seem to work...

My .2 cents
Old 12/14/2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
12 x 60 x 36 will require at least 1" if not 1.25" acrylic. As far as depth, go with at least 36". That's how deep my 500 is and the tall SPS look stunning. I have some colonies from frags to over 24' tall, before I had a pruning party. I think you will need a way to move your lights off the tank. So you can get across the top to help reach the bottom. I used heavy duty roller guides to slide the light rack back off the tank. This gives me 30" to the ceiling....
The tank will be glass. Low iron on the front and one viewable side. It will be 3/4" thick with euro bracing top and bottom and cross braces. As for the lights I will rise and lower the light rack for access.

What lights are you using on you tank? 400MH? How's the light down deep?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

ricks, sounds good 36" it is... That was easy...
Old 12/14/2007, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

My bad... I was absent that day, glass it is. My tank is 96 x 36 x 36 I run (6) 400 watt on HQI , (4) 160 watt VHO's and (4) 96 watt PC's. I Have grown SPS frags at the bottom of the tank. I think as long as you go no deeper than 36" 400's will work just fine. With good reflectors you might get by with (8) for SPS...
Old 12/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Why did you need the PC's and VHO’s wasn’t the MH enough? Or are they for off hours viewing? I wasn't planning on PC or VHO should I? I didn't have either on my last tank?

What would you recommend for reflectors?
Old 12/14/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

BTW tank builder said it would weigh about 1200 lbs... anyone want to help me move it???
Old 12/14/2007, 07:13 PM
I am a super nose picker

jnarowe had a problem with the ecotech(power heads).They crazed his tank due to the heat of the motor.I don't like the look of powerheads either.I bought a wave box.I know its and eye sore but at least its a box
Old 12/14/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattsfishes84
[B
@Harleyguy - Where abouts are you in Georgia? I wanna come see this monster when its done! [/B]
North Georgia, Habersham area, and when I get home and I need help everyone is invited
Old 12/14/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I get it now Steve, I can be slow at times...
Old 12/14/2007, 07:23 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
BTW tank builder said it would weigh about 1200 lbs... anyone want to help me move it???
been there!

done that!

dont want to do it again!

good luck with the instillation of that bad boy. its going to cost you a lot of pizza and beer!
Old 12/14/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Pizza and beer I can do...
And I'll be happy if that's all it takes.. lol