Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/04/2008, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Nice to see some "sisters," posting and handling large tanks. I love this hobby and am so happy that my husband is very willing to help with the more technical aspects of reefkeeping.
Enjoying your build thread!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

I agree. More women are needed in this hobby. I have convinced my husband we need to upgrade and will take a whole year of planning before I fill the new one with water. I have been following your thread and your tank is awsome. I am having a 220g custom made for me in the near future and can't wait!
Old 01/06/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by summer6
Nice to see some "sisters," posting and handling large tanks. I love this hobby and am so happy that my husband is very willing to help with the more technical aspects of reefkeeping.
Enjoying your build thread!
Great to hear from you & the other ladies as well! You should see how my girl family members look at me---like I'm insane. They think I'm suppose to spend all my money shopping for clothes. (LOL)

In any case, I'm sorry everyone for the delay. I installed my phosphate reactor and it's helping. I purchased the TLF (Two Little Fishes) brand. I followed everyone's advice via RC on purchasing this product & how to install it correctly and took a chance on the product. I am really pleased, thus far. Although, algae in a new 265g tank is something to deal with. It did look much worse.

Sadly, I noticed that my sump is leaking again from the point where it is plumbed via a bulkhead from the sump to pvc leading to my pump for the closed loop. I've tightened it and cracked the bulkhead straight down the middle of the threads.

This was my very first acrylic sump that was sealed by myself. Obviously, I goofed and I did not install it very well. I thought I fixed it completely by using aquarium silicone sealant like crazy. Well it held for months, and now I'm paying for it. The leak is not too bad, but I do have to place newspaper underneath the connection to catch the steady drip.

To fix this correctly, I'm going to have to disconnect only the pvc leading to the sump from the pump. Good thing I have shut-off valves. Next, I'm going to need to remove all the silicone gunk piled around the sump and bulkhead area. Clean the entire area and replace the new sump bulkhead correctly as well as the pvc pipe leading to the pump------(I have extra pvc for this already)--- all while underneath the stand, as the sump was too big that it had to be placed inside the stand from the back where there are no additional braces like those located on the front of the tank.

Also, I really can not move the tank since it is extra heavy, already in place and I do not want to risk the damage. Luckily, the stand's area is long and tall enough to completely access the sump area.

I really wish I could have someone to come over and help me. This is all new to me. Thus far, I've done everything else well. If anyone is proficient in this area and local here in Charlotte, I could use a helping hand.

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 01/06/2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Would love to help but I'm too far away.

There are lots of reefers in Charlotte, I'm sure someone will be willing to help. Have you thought about posting on the local forum? I believe it's called RASOC. Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

For what its worth, no silicone on the bulkhead. Reading your post I was not sure if you used silicone on the gasket from the beginning. I have tanks with a total of 6 bulkheads and not one has ever leaked, it should have a rubber gasket that goes on the inside of the tank and you should be able to tighten it enough to not leak. Also a little teflon tape on the threads of the pvc fitting, not on the bukhead threads. Hopefully this helps.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
Would love to help but I'm too far away.

There are lots of reefers in Charlotte, I'm sure someone will be willing to help. Have you thought about posting on the local forum? I believe it's called RASOC. Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte.
Gary,

I'm probably going to have to try it. I am hoping someone from RC will help asap, though. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by huskerreef
For what its worth, no silicone on the bulkhead. Reading your post I was not sure if you used silicone on the gasket from the beginning. I have tanks with a total of 6 bulkheads and not one has ever leaked, it should have a rubber gasket that goes on the inside of the tank and you should be able to tighten it enough to not leak. Also a little teflon tape on the threads of the pvc fitting, not on the bukhead threads. Hopefully this helps.
Jim,

I am sure you are correct, as I thought about the advice to add the silicone to the area given by the LFS after I had the system up and running. This is my second drilled system and I too never needed silicone for the bulkheads on the tanks. A little turning always does the trick. So, I'm sure I will be scraping away to remove the silicone from the sump. It does have a gasket, which is also on the insode of the tank. I just want this nightmare to end. I've worked hard to get this sytem up and running. My corals are doing well and so are the snails and my sweet coral banded shrimp.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

After rereading your previous post, I think that the bulkhead may have been cracked already. I have had this happen before especially between the pump and bulkhead. Vibration or cheap bulkhead.

Why don't you try a new bulkhead, heavy duty. And maybe a piece of flex pipe from it to pump.

Hope all this makes sense.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
After rereading your previous post, I think that the bulkhead may have been cracked already. I have had this happen before especially between the pump and bulkhead. Vibration or cheap bulkhead.

Why don't you try a new bulkhead, heavy duty. And maybe a piece of flex pipe from it to pump.

Hope all this makes sense.
Thanks Gary! I do plan on purchasing a heavy duty bulkhead.