Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

pink bubble tip question...

I have a pink bubble tip similar to this one...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...e_clownsSM.jpg

Its similar to a rose bubble's structure and shape but its alot lighter pink rather than red like a rose bubble is... its similar to the picture shown... anyway, which clown is best to try and pair this anemone up with. So far a clarkii, ocilarus and a maroon did not take to it. Should I try a gold bar maroon or a black clown?

Thanks
Old 12/26/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Are you sure it's a BTA? I would think a maroon would dive right in.

You could try a tomatoe, but I'm skeptical that it would work.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

If a clarkii wouldn't go to it, then all bets are off.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Uhh it depends on the specific clown. My percs will host ANYTHING they can. But of course I have seen percs who are very picky about what they host.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Just wait. Everything takes time. Do they see the anemone? In the past when i bought a TR clarkii for my old BTA it went straight in when i just put it in the tank. It depends on the clownfish whether to host or not.
Old 12/26/2007, 05:08 PM
RC Mod

Re: pink bubble tip question...

Quote:
Originally posted by brittlestar08
I have a pink bubble tip similar to this one...
More then likely you have an Atlantic Anemone, likely Condylactis species. It is rare for a Maroon or a Clark's clown to reject a BTA.

Post a picture to see about an anemone ID.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:42 PM
Moved On

Give it some time.... they will eventually go in.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

the picture I posted in the OP is just like mine. Its a hot light pink tip with a clear body. I wish I could say that the clowns are still around. I have a yellow mantis shrimp in the tank and if they don't take refuge in the anemony quick they are toast

and, They may not have seen it... Its also not fully grown... its about 2-3" at best. should I let the anemony grow a bit before I intro another fish? perhaps take the anem. out with the rock its on and place it into another tank so the clown can get aquainted first? anyone ever try it?
Old 12/27/2007, 10:22 AM
No, I can't ID!

It seems very irresponsible to introduce clownfish to your tank knowing that you have a predator in there that will make a snack out of them. It doesn't matter what you do to try and get the clowns into your anemone you still have to remove that mantis.

The only question I have for you is in regards to that anemone protecting the clownfish from attack. Who told you that they would be safe from a mantis in the anemone?
Old 12/27/2007, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Agree with ficklefins.

Also, what you're describing ("hot light pink tip with a clear body") is a very bleached specimen. It also sounds like it's too small to host any clownfish.

Bottom line - feed the anemone to bring it back to health, but please don't put any more clowns in until you've removed the mantis.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

no I like the mantis... and if you know anything about yellow mantis shrimps. is a specie that only grows to 2". so I just have to get fish that are larger...besides, I don't think it was the shrimp at all. I had other issues that have since been taken care of. so thanks... but the mantis stays. and, I highly doubt that the anemony is bleached.

anyway, I'm going to wait a bit until the anemony gets a bit bigger as I think that may be the reson that no anemony is hosting it.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

I'm sure I'm going to regret pursuing this, but why do you doubt that the anemone is bleached? No part of a healthy BTA should be clear. A BTA that is transparent is missing zooxanthallae. The one in the picture you linked to is bleached.

By the way, you're the one who suggested that the clowns had been killed by the mantis:

"I wish I could say that the clowns are still around. I have a yellow mantis shrimp in the tank and if they don't take refuge in the anemony quick they are toast."
Old 12/27/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

if the one in the picture is bleached than I would like to have a bleached anemony. thanks

uuuuuhhh after that sentence about the mantis you left out the biggest clue that I implied... remember this symbol

anyway, I can't take advice seriously from two people who don't even equal my years of expierience in SW hobby combined...
Old 12/28/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by littleshark
Just wait. Everything takes time. Do they see the anemone? In the past when i bought a TR clarkii for my old BTA it went straight in when i just put it in the tank. It depends on the clownfish whether to host or not.
i agree 100%...like everything else...wait it out
Old 12/28/2007, 01:24 AM
No, I can't ID!

Quote:
Originally posted by brittlestar08
anyway, I can't take advice seriously from two people who don't even equal my years of expierience in SW hobby combined...
That is a good point. I don't have as much experience as you so apologize for the comment above. I would love to hear what you have done and kept, and how the hobby has changed in your ten years experience.

BTW... I really did not mean for my post above to sound rude. I started off in 2002 and I love to hear about how things have developed.

Last edited by ficklefins; 12/28/2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12/28/2007, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ficklefins
That is a good point. I don't have as much experience as you so apologize for the comment above. I would love to hear what you have done and kept, and how the hobby has changed in your ten years experience.

BTW... I really did not mean for my post above to sound rude. I started off in 2002 and I love to hear about how things have developed.
ok, I started out 30+ years ago in fresh water.... started with goldfish bread those and moved on. kept everything from discus to african ciclids to arowana and pecock bass. started really about 12 years ago in saltwater. it all started with a couple of blue damsels and two zebra damsels (which I still have, unfortunatly ) than went onto corals from LPS to softies to SPS.

the bigest thing that changed in the 12+ years in saltwater and 30+ years overall in the hobby is the equipment options. I remember the days of the whisper filters (big thing back than) and undergravel filters... I still have the first fluval canister filter that I cant get any parts to anymore. I remember that the only place to buy anything was at petland discount (don't know if they are even in buiz anymore) The other thing that changed is the coral selection at the stores. price also went up exponentially.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:19 AM
No, I can't ID!

I don't know how many times I have thought about throwing in the towel with this hobby and switching to discus. Amazing fish!

Thanks for the info. Personally I can't keep up with all the new gadgets coming out in this hobby. Way too much out there!

Good luck with your anemone, and try and take a picture or two so we can see how it looks.

Take care
Old 12/28/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

I have one just like it. So it must be a pink bubble tip. Check my thread in here.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Achapman
I have one just like it. So it must be a pink bubble tip. Check my thread in here.
where is the thread??? please link it...
Old 12/28/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

ok I found it... here it is:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4#post11468534
and yes it looks like that just smaller. so this is just a rose bubble anemony???
Old 12/28/2007, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Well its def a BTA becuase mine bubbles, then deflates and so forth. But mine is def bright pink.

I guess only time will tell if they keep their pink color, but I have done some searching and found that people have pink BTA's that remain pink and don't color up to the red.

But otherwise, yes its a RBTA. At least from everything I have read.
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-equadricolor.htm
Old 12/28/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

I have a pink BTA like yours and I have an interesting story. When I bought mine it was in a tank with two RBTAs. One of which was hosted by a true perc. When I bought the pink BTA I bought that clown thinking he would already be "used to" hosting a BTA.However when I put them in the tank he treated the anemone like the plague.And has still not gone near it in almost two months. And come to think of it I have never seen the pink variety either in real life or pictures being hosted by clownfish.So does anyone out there have one that has clowns in it? just curious.