Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2005, 05:04 PM
Will work 4 corals

I was planning on using about 30 gallons of the old water. I was also going to fill a rubbermaid half full of old water and move all livestock into it. Then slowly start adding water from the new tank to acclimate. Then just move the whole thing into the new tank to minimize shock. I guess I will get new sand. Anybody know a cheap place to get some? It's a little over a $1 a lb here.

So shoot me!
Old 12/03/2005, 05:17 PM
R I P we miss you...

I probbly used 30 gallons or more for the move. As I said, I used as much as I could. I did use a little to keep the fish and coral in a cooler. The rock sat in a dry cooler unless there was an amenone or coral attached. Are you going to start adding new water to the rubbermaid container? If so, I don't think it's needed. If you add enough of your old water to the tank, it really is just like a large water change.

I got sugarfine aragonite at a LFS. I didn't use the "live" stuff, it's more expensive and not needed.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 12/03/2005, 05:33 PM
Will work 4 corals

Yeah, I was planning on using dead sand, but I can't find a decent price on it. I can actually get a 20lb bag of live aragonite for $25 here which is almost the same as the dead.

So shoot me!
Old 12/05/2005, 03:48 PM
Will work 4 corals

Well one of the LFS here had Aragonite on sale and I got a 40lb bag for $35. Not great but OK. I added that to the 30-40lbs I already had in there and I think that is enough. It's about 1 1/2 inches deep. I added 70 gallons of water and mixed with IO salt. I got the salt for $31.99 by printing the price off Petsmart's website and taking it in to the store. I also added 2 cups of surface sand from the 55 and a small piece of live rock to get things seeded. I have 2 power heads running to mix everything up and it is still a little cloudy. Today I am going to get the external overflow box built.
I am going to have to wait for the next pay check to get the rest of the plumbing supplies, a new heater, and hopefully the lights. So it will still be a couple of weeks until I do the transfer.
One pic for now:

So shoot me!
Old 12/05/2005, 04:09 PM
R I P we miss you...

gkarshens, I take it you will be waiting until this water cycles before adding the contents of the 55?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/05/2005, 04:16 PM
Will work 4 corals

There really shouldn't be a cycle I don't think. Unless there was something in the sand to cause one. Do you think there would be?

So shoot me!
Old 12/05/2005, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Your not painting the back of the tank?
Old 12/05/2005, 05:59 PM
Will work 4 corals

Nope. I am going to get some of that Chloroplast(?). It's the plastic cardboard stuff they make signs out of. You can get it in any color. I am going to get dark blue and spray paint black on the sides and bottom of it to make it look like you are looking into the sea at a distance.

So shoot me!
Old 12/05/2005, 06:06 PM
The Clown of the Fish

Looks nice. I like your setup. Do you have some pics of underneath the stand?

"Sometimes if you do the job badly enough, you won't get asked to do it again" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12/05/2005, 06:28 PM
Will work 4 corals

Thanks!
Ask and you shall recieve:

So shoot me!
Old 12/05/2005, 10:22 PM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
Originally posted by gkarshens
There really shouldn't be a cycle I don't think. Unless there was something in the sand to cause one. Do you think there would be?
Well, you added new water with rock. There is no old water in the tank yet correct? So there wouldn't be a substancial amount of bacteria built up. I would wonder about a cycle. It's kind of like when you start out a new tank with new water. There is always a cycle. That's why I did the move in one day with all my live stock, rock and as much old water as I could use. JMHO.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/05/2005, 11:37 PM
Will work 4 corals

Huh. I thought the cycle came from ammonia causing material like poop or food and no bacteria to process it. That's why I added some sand from my old tank and a small piece of live rock. That way the bacteria get's a head start on the new sand before any ammonia producing material get's in there. Is this incorrect?

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 12:44 AM
R I P we miss you...

People cycle their tanks with no live stock in them. I started a 20 gallon a few years ago. Sand water and LR only. Had to let it cycle before I could add anything to the tank. I certainly could be wrong and hopefully I am.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/06/2005, 12:45 AM
Will work 4 corals

I guess I will check parameters regularly and let you know what I find out.

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 12:46 AM
R I P we miss you...

Yes, I would be curious to see what you get.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/06/2005, 11:30 AM
Will work 4 corals

Well I just did water tests. This is at 10 in the AM.
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

So far everything looks good. I will continue to do tests throught the week and see if there is any spikes.

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 02:18 PM
R I P we miss you...

gkarshens, That's GREAT! I hope you prove me wrong!!!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/06/2005, 03:03 PM
Will work 4 corals

Me too!

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 05:57 PM
Will work 4 corals

Today I got the acrylic for the overflow. I got black so it won't grow algea. I also got a sheet of Coroplast for the background. This stuff is great!

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Lookin good!!
There is hardly any of the good bacteria in the water column almost all of it it in the live sand and live rock. I would never use your old water at all as you're just putting dirty water into a new tank.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:08 PM
Will work 4 corals

Thanks!
I've been thinking about that today. I think I will go with all new water. I need to test my overflow and return once I get it built anyway, and I don't want to do that with my livestock sitting in a rubbermaid. If something needed fixing they may end up in there too long.

I think I may need to start a donation drive to get my lights. Everytime I think I will have the money something else comes up. I was going to get them out of my next check, but just got an unexpected $300 bill. Damn!

So shoot me!
Old 12/06/2005, 08:15 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
You really need to build the overflow out of glass. The acrylic just won't stick to the glass tank well enough.

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 12/06/2005, 08:47 PM
Memium Prember

Hi gk - nice thread. Your floor looks good! Are you concerned about putting all of that water over it? We have some wood flooring and the project manager will not let me put a fish tank anywhere near it!!! Of course, I do have a few floods in my history

I also have read several places that it is very difficult to attach acrylic to glass because silicone doesn't stick to acrylic. You could pick up some pieces of glass cut to order at a local glass or window shop I bet.
Old 12/06/2005, 09:46 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Rdmpe and gkarshens,

That is exactly what I did, called up the glass store and bought 4 pieces cut to size for about $30. But my overflow is 5"x6"x22"!!

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 12/06/2005, 10:39 PM
Will work 4 corals

Actually I did a lot of research on that. If you sand the edge of the acrylic and use Aquarium grade silicone it will stick just fine. I consulted with the guy at the LFS that does a lot of acrylic, the guy at the plastics place, and the manager of another LFS that has done it. If it doesn't work I am sure I will post it.

I am a little worried about the wood floor. I waterproofed the inside of the stand. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

So shoot me!