Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/09/2005, 03:18 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Dudester - i set the set point on my pH controller lower so it wouldn't shut off my co2 at 6.6 it shuts off now at 6.5

melev - LOL...hope this split goes quicker!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/09/2005, 03:19 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

OH 36 pages and counting!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/09/2005, 03:19 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

OH 36 pages and counting!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/10/2005, 08:39 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

got me new RO/DI unit. its from Water Treatment USA. it's a 100gpd system. here are somespecs.

Stage 1: 1 micron sediment filter Clear carbon filter housing
Stage 2: 1 micron solid carbon block Our new clear membrane housing!
Stage 3: 75 gpd RO element Faucet or hosebib adaptor
Stage 4 : 10 inch Deionization chamber

also this thing has a sweet flush/flow meter. way cooler then my other DIY one that they sell different places. clear RO housing...pretty sweet! definatly check these guys out. very great CS and fast shipping

i'm off to run some RO through it for about 15min and then the DI. then i can have zero ppm water once again.

oh i'm installing my current auto shut off valve, my ro selenoid for float shut off, and my inline TDS meter. i had all those things so i didn't need them.

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/10/2005, 08:44 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

sorry forgot the pic

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/10/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Awesome! Nice upgrade Lunch..

Lunch when you get chance can you go over your auto shutoff for your RO/DI?

I really need to set this up on my system. I currently play Russian Roulette. I keep the water running into my 50 gal drums. I know the day will come where I forget to turn the water off.
Old 11/10/2005, 09:48 PM
Ehhhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
PSA:

Just 37 more pages until the next split.

END PSA.
Oooohhhhh, I gotta get to work if I'm going to catch up to you.

Don't worry, that'll NEVER happen, unless you get banned for a good 40 years and I keep up my same rate.
Old 11/10/2005, 10:14 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

arconom - i found my shut off in the DIY forum a LONG time ago. i'll see if i can dig it up

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/10/2005, 11:24 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

ok found it

that took QUITE a while you owe me big time

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/10/2005, 11:28 PM
TRC Leader

I remember that thread.
Old 11/11/2005, 12:55 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

well where the heck where you when i needed you to post the link for me yeah quite old it is

ok i'm loving 1ppm tds water out of my RO membrane. that 30+ crap on my old shot membrane was just crap.

i have diatoms in my tank now...i'm thinking due to the RO/DI water being crappy.

hope this new system (1ppm after ro, 0ppm after di) will get my tank back in check ASAP. i'm gonna do a 15gal water change this weekend to help out also

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/11/2005, 12:57 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

oh forgot to post that at 0.20L/min at 6.5pH i have lost some alkalinity and am now at about 9.0 or so i think...can't remember right now and too tire to look

i have lowered the pH and the final resting place will be 6.4 or so. i will then up the effluent about 0.1L/min until i stay stable. nice to have the effluent meter..makes upping it a little bit a breeze

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/13/2005, 07:59 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

UPDATE:

got the RO/DI unit on thurday and started using that water ASAP. by about Saturday ALL my diatoms were gone YIPPIE!! must have been like i thought...the RO/DI water i was using (due to the shot membrane) was causing the problems

Today - i broke down and got a Yellow Eye Kole Tang again this was my fav fish but he started nipping my clams right before i moved to my new apt (July??) so i took him out at that time. i have heard that this was VERY uncommon so i planned to get another yellow eye after i found a good on at the LFS. my wife has sort of had a HUGE part is this. she hates all the fish i have in there now (2 clowns, royal gramma, bangaii) and she loved out old "Mr. Tang" as we call him so i called the LFS and asked if htey still had the yellow eye that has been there for 4wks or so. they did so we made the drive 60miles to the LFS and picked him up. he ate well and looked good. after acclimating i left the lights off for about 2-3hrs and then turned the halides on. well...he looked..ok. tail was bit up from "Ms Bizitch" (my female clown). she is terribly aggressive lately. but he has been standing his ground and she is not doing anything to him anymore. i guess Mr. Tang is the boss of the tank now. his skin looks a little funky but i think that is from being chased around in the LFS for about 5min and being netting twice in about 3 hrs. no signs of ICH and any other disseases...skin just looks different.

good news he is swimming around the tank and has started picking at the back glass and a little on the rock. i have a little hair algae and i hope he demolishes it.

i hope i haven't made a mistake and added too much bioload to my tank. i know i had a tang before w/ great results but i just get paranoid that i will get phosphates like i had before. nevermind i think that was from my oceanic salt and not siphoning the sand. i have switched to RC and siphone the sand every other week...so i should be ok

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/13/2005, 08:02 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

ok now i'm seriously excited. my cleaner shrimp just decided to start sanitizing Mr. Tang. that is good news to me!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/13/2005, 08:13 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

oh i forgot to post that the corals i got 2wks ago are all doing great!!! only problem is that my PM decided to bleach and receed on me. i know have a 5 polyp PM the flesh looks deep purple and there are 5 green polyps. i'm sure it will make a great recovery but it will be a slow process

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/13/2005, 11:22 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

man no love. got bumped down to the 3rd page w/ no reply

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/14/2005, 12:15 AM
SPS Freak

lol. I usually give up on my threads when they do that. I find it funny how my cleaner shrimp nail every fish when I add them and then rarely ever again. I have a blood shrimp who likes to clean my copperband. It's odd because the whole is so small and somehow the fish squeezes in there and somehow gets out the backside.
Old 11/14/2005, 12:18 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
man no love. got bumped down to the 3rd page w/ no reply

Lunchbucket

How's that for ya?
Old 11/14/2005, 12:22 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
oh i forgot to post that the corals i got 2wks ago are all doing great!!! only problem is that my PM decided to bleach and receed on me. i know have a 5 polyp PM the flesh looks deep purple and there are 5 green polyps. i'm sure it will make a great recovery but it will be a slow process

Lunchbucket
Glad to hear they're all doing well! That's a good sign that the pm has a few polyps out on it. Keep giving it some TLC and you'll have a mini colony in no time.
Old 11/14/2005, 12:28 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Hurry up and respond so I can go to bed. haha
Old 11/14/2005, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Lunch, don't worry, I don't think you have too much of a bio-load in there. I would say you are "just right" with the bio-load you have right now.
Old 11/14/2005, 08:39 AM
Personna Non Grata

Great, I hope the Kole does well. Very nice fish. I was thinking of adding a Pearlscale Butterfly for some aiptasia. BTW, here's a pic of my Kole Tang. He is not around any longer though.

Old 11/14/2005, 03:42 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

jay24k - my cleaner shrimp always cleaned my old tang...that is the only fish i ever see him clean.

otolith - yeah 5 polyps is good..but 15 would be better. i thought these corals grow slow? so 1yr i'll have 15 polyps oh well for a cool coral i'll wait. it has nice colors on the flesh and polyps that are on there

Travis - thanks for the vote of confidence. i just didn't want to overload it

MyMonkey - i liked my old Kole...just too bad he liked my clams what did you think of yours? they are plain but very cool looking IMO. how did yours die?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/14/2005, 04:12 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by arconom
I really need to set this up on my system. I currently play Russian Roulette. I keep the water running into my 50 gal drums. I know the day will come where I forget to turn the water off.
Not to steal anything away Lunch... but I figured I would share my experience(s) with this. I was making 30g of fresh RODI water Saturday started around 2PM in the afternoon. Well I forgot, we went out to eat and for some drinks, got home at 2AM and needless to say it was a little wet. I filled up the wetvac 8 TIMES getting up all the water. Atleast it was in my basement and its all tile...

Auto shutoffs are a great idea!
Old 11/14/2005, 07:15 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

elephen - i flooded my apt one time w/ only 1/2-1gal..then i got a shut off selenoid and the auto shut of on my ro unit. problem solved

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-