Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
Older homes probaby used black iron pipe I think. the best thing would probably be stainless steel or titanium

For now I'm thinking that a small bank of fans across the open top of the tank will do the trick. The LFS sells a slick setup similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7773897352 but for a better price. Right now my lights are sitting on some 2x4s that are in the way, but that is the eventual plan...
whoops, I editted my post just before you clicked submit! But, yes, stainless might be the option.
Old 06/14/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkb
whoops, I editted my post just before you clicked submit! But, yes, stainless might be the option.
Well, I'm an IT guy who works with servers and heat is constantly a concern.

I remember a situation where there was a heat problem. A new air conditioning system was purchased. It made absolutely no change to the problem. But, a simple household fan was placed behind the server racks and instantly the room started dropping in temperature, in fact, it came down about 8 degrees. I'm not entirely sure why it worked, but all I know is it helped the lingering heat in the back of the servers make it's way up to the exhaust fan.

So, I think the fact you are using 2x4's is a good idea, you are preventing more heat transfer.

Now let's talk about computer CPU's. Computers run hot nowadays, everything is so small. All these CPU's have these huge heat syncs attached to them, kind of like metal fins that the air flow can make there way through. Maybe something like that could work for you.

I bet you see a noticable heat reduction by simply blowing fans across the top of your light fixtures. You might see a larger reduction if the fixtures had more metal attached to them to radiate the heat away with a fan, kind of like a cars radiator.
Old 06/14/2006, 02:11 PM
Memium Prember

I was kicking around some ideas a while back and contacted a couple of vendors that sell water cooling kits for overclocked computer cpu's (I used to be into that...) but all of their radiators are aluminum...
Old 06/14/2006, 02:14 PM
Memium Prember

The biggest drop in water temp comes from the evaporation though. The phase change to vapor takes a lot of heat out of the tank. So blowing the fan across the water surface really works well. I think that it also helps that there is fresh air moving between the hot halides and the water surface too. But I think evap is the ticket.

My light fixture has fans built in that move a decent amount of heat out of the fixture - although the housing still gets really hot. And the glass covering the halides - that is REALLY hot stuff!!!
Old 06/14/2006, 02:16 PM
Memium Prember

As a matter of fact, I melted part of a plastic bag against the glass right under the halide bulb last weekend when putting the RBTA in the tank! Oops! I scraped most of it off, but there is still some there, it has turned somewhat brown. I know I need to razor it off when the glass is cool one of these mornings...
Old 06/14/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Interesting stainless links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-4-3...74208186QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06/14/2006, 05:20 PM
TRC Leader

I think you'd need to use something that is saltwater safe, and it should be titanium rather than stainless steel.
Old 06/15/2006, 05:54 PM
Memium Prember

Today when I got home from work, my RBTA looked bad. It hasn't retracted all the way into it's crevice, but the tentacles are totally deflated and the mouth looks wierd and swollen, sort of has a volcano look to it... The foot still looks like it is attached in the back of the crevice. So I'm not sure if there is a problem or what. It looked fine last night. I'd post some pictures but the camera is out with the wife...
Old 06/15/2006, 10:22 PM
Memium Prember

Well, now it is back to normal again. Not sure what was up with that thing! It looks great now!
Old 06/15/2006, 11:23 PM
Will work 4 corals

My anemone would do that every once and awhile when I first got it.

So shoot me!
Old 06/16/2006, 07:00 AM
Memium Prember

Yeah they are very strange creatures. Hard for me to tell if it's doing well or not - seems back to normal. Looking great this morning.
Old 06/18/2006, 09:52 PM
Memium Prember

Happy Father's Day

Well I hope everyone had a good Father's Day and a nice weekend. Mine was great. The first thing I got done, Saturday Morning, was to get up in the attic and crawl around in the fiberglass. I got the brace put in so that I could hang my light. Then later, after a shower (and still itchy) I actually got the light hung. No More 2x4's

After that, I peeled off the black plastic trim from around the top edge of the tank. I love that "glass box" look, so I really like it much better without the trim. It's not as clean as a cube or something with no bracing, but it is still a big improvement IMO. The hanging light and no trim really made a big change to me.

Then we headed to the LFS where my wife had reserved a super nice crocea clam. It's currently on a small frag rack in my tank, I don't have any pictures yet. But here is a picture from when it was at the LFS... It is taken from above so the water surface has made it distorted but you can get an idea. It's approx. 2.5" across.

I also got a frag each of Orange, Green and Purple Cap. The purple looks like dark brown to me, but I just wanted to make sure to get three or more colors that I can get to grow and swirl around each other (hopefully)... And I got a very small frag of ORA green birds nest.

All of the fish and the anemone, linckias, urchin etc. all seem to be doing really well.

Tested the water this evening before the nightly dose...
CA = 405
ALK = 3.15/8.8
MG = 1365

That's it for now, hopefully some pictures soon.
Old 06/18/2006, 10:15 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Happy Fathers Day to you too!

Nice Clam, I have had one for almost two years and it is one of my favorite animals in the tank.

I got seven different frags the other day from a local reefer.

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 06/19/2006, 12:02 PM
Memium Prember

Do you have anything that you use to look at the clam from above? I saw that melev once made an acrylic tray that could sit on the tank surface to provide good viewing from above. I'm thinking of making something like that.

The problem is that every time I heat bend acrylic, it causes it to warp in the other direction pretty bad due to the uneven expansion of the heated portion. So for instance if I bend a long "L" or "U" shape, it will end up being curved in the long direction too. It will not sit flat on a table. I'm not sure if I could clamp it better (which tears the surface up) or if I should try to heat the whole piece in an over first to help even out the expansion.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:08 PM
Proud father!

Randy, couldn't you just cut a square of acrylic and then some rectangular pieces to make the edges and glue it together? It'd save you from having to bend the pieces...

Tyler
Old 06/19/2006, 12:15 PM
TRC Leader

I don't bend it. It looks like this:

Well, I bend the top, but you could glue that part together as well.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:26 PM
Memium Prember

Ah - I can handle bending the top. Thanks for the picture. That says, like, 1000 words!
Gives me some good ideas...
Is that a suction cup mounted to it?
Old 06/19/2006, 01:23 PM
TRC Leader

No, it is a plastic 1/4" x 20 screw. They fit in the threads of the camera perfectly. I have a clear piece of plastic (from a 2-liter bottle) to keep the screw from falling out.
Old 06/19/2006, 10:34 PM
Memium Prember

OK, so how about some more pictures.

I couldn't get a good picture of the clam. It is sitting on the sand righ tnow. It has angled itself slightly away from the glass (toward the lights). So it looks darker blue from that angle.

I did get some nice shots of the RBTA

The Coco Worm is getting pretty big.

MeNoNemo gave me this Red Lobo a while back. It was sitting in the sand for the longest time but I finally mounted it to the rock in a spot that I liked. I'm really happy with how it looks. Once the coraline covers the epoxy I think it will look great.

And finally, here's a shot of a tiny frag of ORA Green Birds Nest coral and the Orange, Green and Purple Monti Caps....

Old 06/19/2006, 10:46 PM
Memium Prember

And a full tank shot from several angles...

Old 06/19/2006, 10:48 PM
Proud father!

Lookin' sweet Randy..

Gorgeous clam! I definitely have to get one myself one day... Everything else is looking great too.

You should post a few full tank shots. Edit.. You beat me to it! Lol. Great to see another overview! I like the trimless look! When I had my canopy off to install the halides I liked the look of the open tank with no trim over it.

Later,
Tyler
Old 06/19/2006, 10:50 PM
Memium Prember

Quote:
Originally posted by tgunn
.... You should post a few full tank shots. ....
LOL Tyler, look up!
(gotcha)
Old 06/19/2006, 10:51 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
LOL Tyler, look up!
(gotcha)
You beat me to it. Lol. I posted my reply before the full tank shot. Heh..

Tyler
Old 06/19/2006, 10:54 PM
Will work 4 corals

Looks way better with the light hanging and the top done!

So shoot me!
Old 06/19/2006, 10:54 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=869432