Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2005, 03:20 AM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Nice pics Marc! Those zoos you just got, if you look you can see light spots and streaks in the disc part. Do you know what this means or what causes it? I have lots of different colored zoos in my tank and only one particular color is doing this despite having others in the same area and under the same conditions.
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/23/2005, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Marc, sounds like its time to pass the lettuce nudis on to a few other people that have algae in their tank. Getting smaller=not enough food, poss keep 1or2, you may have enough to keep a smaller population alive.

colleen
Old 03/23/2005, 02:10 PM
TRC Leader

John, I have no idea why some zoos look like they have a plasma splash in the center while others do not. I think that is one of the allures to keeping zoos because they vary so much.

Colleen, that's a good idea. I'd really like these to get back to work on what they were hired to do, but they seem distracted and wander to other areas for some reason.
Old 03/23/2005, 10:38 PM
calepa ta kala

Marc, I thought I had read several articles stating that the lettuce "nudibranchs" were more reliant on light than algea? Mine used to ride on top of my bryopsis (spelling) until I came home one day to witness the ememrald crabs fighting over the remains!
Old 03/24/2005, 12:04 AM
TRC Leader

I have no idea, honestly. I've read about them on and off for years, and when the bryopsis really started growing, I thought I'd give them a try. We had a group buy going on, so I ordered a few. Some are smaller, almost like they were perhaps divided in two by my Tunze Stream.
Old 03/24/2005, 01:00 AM
TRC Leader

Here are a couple of pictures of the Disbar Anthias. I had to stand away from the tank because they tend to dart into the rockwork when I'm too close.

I've had a large Wavy Turban (Astrea undosa) in my tank for some time now. At least 6 months, because I'm pretty sure it went in the new tank from the start.

Here are its teeth. Kinda neat to watch.

These are the large polyped zoanthids I was trying to save last week from the asterinas. As you can see, they are still in sad shape, but many of the polyps are open again.

My phytoplankton is still doing well. I split the cultures tonight, starting new bottles. For a comparison, I thought I'd show you a new bottle (2/3 saltwater, 1/3 phytoplankton from the previous batch) next to two older bottles. The phyto is dark green and doing well. I should have split this weeks ago, but I've just been too busy. I went ahead and screened the 2 darker bottles, to remove the larger particles before storing it in the fridge.

Old 03/24/2005, 01:02 AM
TRC Leader

Sweet macro picture of that snail Marc!
Old 03/24/2005, 01:38 AM
Join our OH/MI club-SMART

Seems like your reef fills in by the day Marc! Nice work.

I'm about to start culturing phytoplankton. I'm going to try to use DT's. I always wondered why you screen your culture, because your site doesn't say. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Wish me luck!
Join us and have a blast!

"Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."
Old 03/24/2005, 02:04 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks Amy. You're back!

John, I was trying to remove the larger sediment last year, and used screen (for rotifer cultures usually) or coffee filters. Since these cultures were bubbling so long, I thought I'd remove the larger bits of stuff again. No-one else does this, and I can't really prove that it makes a difference at this point. It hasn't hurt the product.
Old 03/24/2005, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

after reading the 2 thread * jaws drop* speechless!!!!!!!
Old 03/24/2005, 02:57 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks hungl3..... I think.
Old 03/24/2005, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Great pictures as always Marc. How come the tang police haven't got you yet? Is that Nibbles or Boss Hawg?
Old 03/24/2005, 05:00 PM
TRC Leader

You know, I was watching my tank today and observing the interaction of the six tangs and it really is amazing that 300g of water is small. They don't have the room to glide effortlessly, and they do go everywhere. I was trying to imagine the tank without tangs, and wondering if the smaller fish would be out far more. I bet fish waste would be reduced on a massive scale, but the new skimmer will do the job.

Today I was looking for a frag of an Acropora table, which had fallen behind the rockwork (of course). After turning off the pumps, I was able to shine a flashlight down the back area and locate the little guy. It was retrieved with a mechanical claw, and placed in a new spot. While I was working back there, I finally retrieved a tiny frag of branching hammer, and moved it to the front of the tank. I've not seen it in 5 months, but knew where it was. Maybe it will grow now.

I fed a small chunk of cyclop-eeze to the tank today while the tangs were mowing down the nori. The fish were happy to get that treat.
Old 03/24/2005, 05:04 PM
R I P we miss you...

I have a 125 and I can't imagine my tank :without" my two tangs. My smaller fish seem to be out a lot though.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 03/24/2005, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Maybe you should replace your 280 with that tank scott had marc.... did he sell the house yet? * Snicker *
Old 03/24/2005, 05:20 PM
TRC Leader

He sold the 700g Starfire to Faith and James, and it is set up over there now. They have a few pictures on their site if you want to see it. http://www.wildreef.com/fishroom.asp...20Construction
Old 03/24/2005, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

well,, darn,, you couldda had tang heaven,,, with a whoopsie doo bottom!,,LOL
Old 03/24/2005, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Marc, do you notice any agression from your hippo/regal tang towards other tankmates? We have had a hippo for about 8 months and out of nowhere she started being really aggresive towards a couple of our green chromis. She was chewing their fins off and chasing them around. She had always been a peaceful fish, except for nipping at our open brain coral. I'm pretty sure that she is going to be removed from our tank, I hate to get rid of her though, she's a beautiful fish. What has been your experience?

P.S. dont forget the pics of the new sump!
Old 03/24/2005, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juststartingout

P.S. dont forget the pics of the new sump!

And woodwork?

Oh yes, Marc is busy. (Snicker,snicker) He is way ahead of me I must admit. How's the mega skimmer skimming by the way?
Old 03/25/2005, 01:49 AM
TRC Leader

All of the fish take turns chasing another in my tank, but none look torn up. I think they have all learned when to run and duck, and when to cruise comfortably.

I'll get some pictures of the sump posted as soon as I start it. This week has not been good for sump building. The skimmers are still collecting dust over here.

Next Wave happens on Saturday, and after that I'm going to have time at last. http://www.dfwmas.com
Old 03/25/2005, 03:03 AM
Premium Member

I really wanted to come to a meeting, but going out of town this weekend. Darn

Want to make a great return on your investment? Ask me how to gain private ownership in an OIL Well. PM me.
Old 03/25/2005, 04:12 AM
TRC Leader

Our normal meetings are on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. We will be meeting at the Dallas Aquarium of Fair Park in a couple of weeks. You could attend that perhaps.
Old 03/25/2005, 05:43 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Hi Mark...just wanted to say I think your tank looks awesome. I've been quietly lurking and following your tank from its installation. You get that woodwork done yet? ;-)
Old 03/25/2005, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Mark
Any pictures of the new skimmer?
Old 03/25/2005, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crna63
Mark
Any pictures of the new skimmer?
Check back on page 2 of the split.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2