Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/19/2003, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

Wow how did I miss this thread. I absolutly love frogfish. I have a painted named Cow. When I got him he was all black with the white fingernails that Cherie has. I wonder if that is a common coloration. In the past three months, Cow has gone from all black to a yellow greenish color. He looks like the tips of caulerpa. I added some to his tank and I think thats what hes trying to mimic. He stands out a lot against the coraline though. He has also grown some little frilly things and some red and cream patches. His "cheek bones" look like hes wearing blush. I dont have a camera, but ill see if i can bring it up here after thanksgiving. He eats live mollies and ghose shrimp. I have tried frozen, but he rarely takes it. I will try again soon, I just have to find a good frozen food supplier around here.
Here is a picture of him from a while back, when I first got him.
Old 11/19/2003, 07:16 AM
VILP

I love seeing that there are more frogfish keepers out there then I'd originally thought! Here are a couple of pictures of Fuggly, while he was still black. Now that he's literally hanging out in the orange/red tree sponge all day, every day, he's turning redish again!

Cheri
Old 11/19/2003, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Hey BlennyBabe,
When you talk about get frozen food what kind of frozen food. I have been trying to feed my anglers frozen krill but they won't go for it. I was thinking if I can find a place that sells small whole frozen fish. Maybe that would get them to eat, since they see a whole fish instead of something else they are not familar with. I was think a fish market might sell something like that. Any ideas from any frog owners.
Old 11/19/2003, 07:59 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by Bio-Mass
Hey BlennyBabe,
When you talk about get frozen food what kind of frozen food. I have been trying to feed my anglers frozen krill but they won't go for it. I was thinking if I can find a place that sells small whole frozen fish. Maybe that would get them to eat, since they see a whole fish instead of something else they are not familar with. I was think a fish market might sell something like that. Any ideas from any frog owners.
I get packages of frozen silversides from my LFS to feed my RBTA. So far my frogfish are unimpressed with them though. They are skinny, whole fish, but they are too long not to cut up unless you have a large frogfish (most are ~2" long). They seem to be seasonal in availability. If you don't have a local LFS that carries them, you could try an online vendor - if you can find one that doesn't have a large minimum order size. I just looked and found one that requires 10lbs - at 4oz a package, you'd be swimming in frozen fish for years!

Cheri
Old 11/19/2003, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I feed Dudley frozen silversides cut into pieces about an inch long. I also feed him pieces of frozen krill and squid. He'll eat just about anything on the feeding stick. I got him moved into his new home (29 gallon) and he seems to really like the addtional room. I was reading in Scott Michaels book Reef Fishes vol. 1 about suitable tankmates for him. Most of the suitable ones listed require 100 gallon tanks. The arc-eye hawkfish was listed as a fish that wouldn't pick on Dudley and because of his size wouldn't be eaten either. I purchased one last night, and have it in quarantine.....a really pretty one I call "Archy." Hopefully I'll be able to right in about a month that he was a successful addtion.......Here are some pics of Dudley and his new home:
Old 11/19/2003, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

2nd one....
Old 11/19/2003, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

last one.....
Old 11/19/2003, 09:42 AM
VILP

Nice new digs for Dudley! Good luck with the Hawkfish!

Cheri
Old 11/20/2003, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Cherie, your frog looks just like mine did. I cant wait to get a camera up here so I can take some pictures of him. He looks just like the red one, spots, saddle thing over tail fin. Looks identical except that he is red and Cow is greenish yellow brownish...
Old 11/20/2003, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Here, I took the picture of the red frog that looks like mine and I changed it to the color that Cow is. Lets see if I can get this to work..
Old 11/20/2003, 03:27 PM
VILP

Very cool! I've never seen a green frogfish, but it makes sense. They are like chameleons and camouflage is pretty much their only defense!

Cheri
Old 11/20/2003, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

All red angler owners, I just bought some awesome red macro from this guy, and it's beautiful stuff. Fortunately my guy has stayed red without anything red in his tank, but I bought some anyway just to be on the safe side. Well worth it if you're looking for some live natural red to add to your tank...http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...68#post2018668
Chris
Old 11/20/2003, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Red macro is the way to go.......glad you got some Chris

Here's Dudley in his new 29 gallon home resting on his red bed
Old 12/01/2003, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Can't let this thread die yet...
Old 12/01/2003, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/01/2003, 06:56 PM
VILP

Oh my! That is the first GREEN frogfish I've ever seen! That is totally cool!

Cheri
Old 12/01/2003, 06:57 PM
Bored Reefer

Those are some great angers, criccio. I love the last one.
Old 12/01/2003, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Here's my black one that is starting to turn a little green due to the algea, and yellow leather it sits on. I do need a tripod, these pics are far to blurry.
Old 12/01/2003, 07:19 PM
VILP

My black frogfish has gone completely orange (he sits on orange sponges) and it happened in less than a week's time.

The fun thing about frogfish is that they are totally photogenic! They sit there like complete stumps while you fiddle with the tripod, get the camera setup, go for coffee... unless you put some live food in the tank! Then they reach the awesome speed of... very slow!

Cheri
Old 12/01/2003, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Cheri, is that the same black one that was originally red...and now it's orange? I'm so lucky that my red one is still as red as the day I bought it, and I have only a little red macro in the tank.
Old 12/02/2003, 12:25 AM
VILP

The very same one! He seems to be amazingly adaptable. When he is sitting in his orange sponge, he looks just like the sponge, but when he comes down to go after a fish or just go for a slow stroll, his color darkens a couple of shades.

Cheri
Old 12/02/2003, 03:03 AM
Club Euroreef

I got mine to take frozen silversides twice so far. I have been feeding every other day how often would be ideal? He starts luring and i feed him but not sure if i should just figured if he is luring he was hungry. The silversides are his length and mabey a 1/4 inch wide and a 1/4 high, but he snaps them up with no problems. -Dave-

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 12/02/2003, 03:09 AM
Club Euroreef

Oops almost forgot he is currently in my fuge in the stand of my 75 would a ten gallon be good for him? I want to have him out were i can watch him but can't do a very big tank. This is what i have in the garage. Sorry about the flash and fingerprints.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 12/02/2003, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I feed my froggie every other day.....small pieces of silverside (about 1 to 1 1/2inches long) or two small frozen krill. It keeps him happy If they are eating live food (small chromis) I'd feed them 3 to 4 times a week. Be sure you never feed them pieces of food longer than 1/2 of there body length.....they can consume them but not good for them as they digest things slowly and it can start to decompose faster than they can digest it, causing death sometimes. I had my red froggie in a 6 gallon eclipse for a while until he grew to 3 inches in length.....then he moved into a 10 gallon. He's now 4 inches long and I just moved him into a 29 gallon. Scott Michael says they can do well in a small tank and I read that he himself keeps one on his desk. HTH

Janey
Old 12/05/2003, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

I haven't posted it in the selling forum yet, but if anyone is interested in the Sargassum Fish/Histrio histrio that I have pictured (the green/yellow one), it's for sale. PM me if interested.
Chris