Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/23/2004, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

estimating is a strong word The hand test. My 3/4" outlets are putting out allot more preasure than my 1/2" 300pgh powerheads.

So if the diameter is larger yet the preasure is still stronger that means allot more flow.

I guess I could perform a bucket test with the OM switched off while at it's peak output through the outlets being measured... (Not real high on my priorities at the moment)
Old 12/23/2004, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

hehe... I was just wondering... no biggie. Glad you are getting lots o' flow out of those things.

Peace,
John H.
Old 01/20/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Looks like there hasn't been a post on here for a long time. I'll try to start it up with some questions...
I just got my Squirt for x-mas and have been delaying the install because I'm not sure if I should go with a closed loop or just integrate the Squirt with my current return system.
My current return set up goes like this:
MAG 12 returning to a 3/4" Seaswirl, my tank is a 60 gallon cube, 24"x24"x24". Plus I also have a cheeseball Maxi jet to help with the flow. (i hate the look of powerheads) So my dilema is if I should purchase an external pump and create a closed loop system, (which I have never done) or purchase a MAG 24 and use that for my return to the Squirt, plus I'll "T" that off with a ball valve to my chiller. Does anyone have suggestions, ideas, or comments?
Old 01/20/2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

here are some pics of what it currently looks like...

Old 01/20/2005, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

IMO closed loop is the way to go. Check out Melev's web site for an easy closed loop diy. You can get max flow out of the pump because you don't have head pressure to worry about.
Old 01/20/2005, 06:04 PM
Voice of Reason

OK, since this thread has been revived I'll ask a question:

I've got 8 (yes, 8) return holes in my tank drilled for closed loop returns. 4 are drilled in one side end of the tank, and another 4 are drilled in the opposite side end. The four holes on each end are roughyl located in separate corners (spaced away from the edges and top/bottom). Both the front and back of the tank will be viewable and will not have rock against them.

4 of these returns will be connected to a OM HD 4-way with a Sequence 3200SEQ21 (this is phase 1) and the other 4 returns plumbed to a Squirt with a 1000 GPH pump (this is the phase 2 closed loop).

So my question is: should I plumb the HD 4-way and Sequence to the upper 4 return holes, or the bottom 4 return holes. Stated another way: more flow near the top, or more flow near the bottom?

BTW, this will be a BB/SPS tank.

- Jason
Old 03/11/2006, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Tried a search and cant seem to find the source. Would someone please post the link to the source of the Ocean Motion wavemaker?
Thanks
Dave
Old 03/11/2006, 02:45 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=797945