Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 09/21/2004, 08:07 AM
How YOU doin?

Ok, they sound a lot like freshwater plants as far as husbandry goes.

"The only differences are that my water changes probably aren't occurring with the same frequency that you should siphon out these settling tanks" My siphoning doesn't happen as frequently as it should, either.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 03/14/2005, 10:57 AM
PKSN

Ron speaks a little:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=548275

Whaddya all think?
Old 08/12/2005, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Would I be correct in saying that a DSB without plants can never finish the cycle?
Dont plants remove the P and N and complete the life cycle?

I started a 65 gallon tank last Oct. Its lightly stocked with 3 fish lawmower,flame angel and saddleback.
Lighting is 2 175 14k hamiltons and 2 vho actinics.
Flow was moderate 900gph split between a upper and lower return on the closed loop and 900gph on the overflow.

I run a mud refugium with caluerpa no skimmer. Maintence was nothing I mean no water change or anything. Till june everything was fine. Then i started getting hair algae on the rocks and cyno on the thin layer of sand in my tank.

So I figured it was time for a water change I also added alot of flow.

After reading about BB I got to thinking that since my water readings for P and N where zero that their must have been P and N bound up in the sand and live rock. sure enough when i took a turkey baster to the rock i was shocked at how much detrus was on the rock. same in the cyno covered sand.

So i added flow....alot of flow. enough to keep the detrus in suspension. 1200 gph to the lower return behind the rocks on the bottom and 900 to the top thru a seaswirl. needless to say i had a sand storm in mins so i removed alot of the sand and im now down to enough to just cover the bottom. if moves around a little but no problem.

For a week i would come home and blow off the rocks with the turkey baster till i no longer got much detrus.

Well amasing in one week the hair algea is gone as is the cyno. The only problem is that i have LPS and softies not SPS
So what to do.
I run the high flow at night when they are retracked and go low flow during the day.
This has made a hugh difference in the tank.

I also do weekly water changes now. I remove any detrus that collects in the bare chambers in the refugium. during these water changes.

So to recap I have a intermittant high flow area in the main tank with little to no sand and low flow in the refugium.

I belive that i can stay problem free this way becasue the caleurpa grows like crazy in the fug removing the P and N from the cycle.

Be gentle im a n00b
Old 08/12/2005, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=648360