Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 11:23 AM
Male Gigolo

Flooded: Drywall Experts???

Tank in my loft flooded last night (my own fault) and now all my drywall on the first floor needs to be replaced. Hopefully my floor is fine, time will tell. And hopefully thats all I have to replace is the drywall.

Anyone recommend anyone?
Old 01/02/2008, 11:33 AM
Male Gigolo

Here are some pictures.

There are several other water spots pretty far from that initial hole. The door is the door into the garage which is through the kitchen on the right.

Lots of drywall needs to be replaced. I don't want to even think about mold. Above the garage its still dripping for some reason.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:37 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I dont know of any drywall guys that go out to Plainfield but in the mean time while you are looking for one think about pointing a fan at the damage so that the wood rafters can dry before new drywall goes on.
Sorry about the mishap but it could have been worse

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/02/2008, 11:41 AM
Male Gigolo

Yeah, I'm lucky I had enough sense to make sure all my electrical chords were off the ground in my stand. The stand had 2" of water and the entire loft had .5" of it. The water dripped into our garage where we have an animal room with ceramic heater that was sitting in a puddle along with two extension chords.

I turned water on at 7pm and woke up at 4am. It was a lot of water coming out of a 100gpd unit.

I am going to rip all the drywall off the wall today and get a few fans up there. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:45 AM

Drywall work is very very easy to do. Why not save a few $$$ and do it yourself?
Old 01/02/2008, 11:48 AM
Male Gigolo

I can put it up, not so sure about mud and taping. Was also think about getting a professional opinion on the damage.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:17 PM
Tank Collector

Mudding and taping isnt hard at all, just remember its easier to do a bunch of thin coats than to put on a really thick coat and spending hours sanding....

Even if you put it up yourself you can usually find a local person to do the mudding and taping for some quick side work....
Old 01/02/2008, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Dry it out as fast as possible. your floor will probably creak but be ok.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Mudding and taping isnt hard at all, just remember its easier to do a bunch of thin coats than to put on a really thick coat and spending hours sanding....

Even if you put it up yourself you can usually find a local person to do the mudding and taping for some quick side work....
I agree... doing drywall work is much easier now, ever since we ripped down those walls at my house so the walls could be properly insulated.

Next time that I have that much drywall work to do, I will more than likely try hiring someone to do the mudding & taping work... they'd most likely do a better job than I did in the first place.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

ask around if anyone you know is friends with a general contractor, or ask guys buying mud at home depot if they're interested.

do the demo and drywall installation yourself and find someone else to tape. remember, cash talks and the trades are slow right now.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

I'm not slow...I'm booked thru april...I don't do drywall work either. I've never been slow in 15 years. Leads me to question why some get slow and others never do....?
Old 01/02/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Location: Holiday Inn Express or my AVIS Rental Car (Algonquin on the weekends)
Quote:
Originally posted by taylor t
I'm not slow...I'm booked thru april...I don't do drywall work either. I've never been slow in 15 years. Leads me to question why some get slow and others never do....?

Thats all relative to the trade that you work for. Electricians are almost never slow as they can do commercial or residential. HVAC are pretty much always busy AC in the summer and Heat in the winter then theres always new construction or commercial.

Now drywall is a little different. Not too many builders are building in the winter.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:15 AM
The Puppy Mill Police

From my personal and recent experience check with a drywall contractor prior to putting any sheetrock up. Every one I spoke with prefers to start with a clean canvas. From the contractors I spoke to after firing the lousy hump that started my drywall project it was as much to come in and finish as it was to hang, tape, and mud.

Try Craigslist. There is a drywall contractor that said in their ad that they were in Northern Illinois and they were in Ottawa. He might work for you.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:21 AM
The Puppy Mill Police

A different one but they are in plainfield. Try http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sks/526290354.html
Old 01/03/2008, 01:56 AM
Male Gigolo

I tend to worry quite a bit when hiring someone like that. No guarantee's and no storefront to actually contact if something actually goes wrong.

Know what I mean?
Old 01/03/2008, 07:49 AM
The Puppy Mill Police

I know exactly what you mean. Typically if you find someone bonded and insured you will be okay. Personal knowledge of someones work is best but sometimes you can't find that. I posted on three different boards when I needed a drywall guy and the rsponse was lesss then overwhelming. Matt at ShoTank hooked me up with a guy he knows that did a bunch of work for him. I can give you his digits but he lives and works up here close to the cheddar curtain so i don't imagine he'd go that far down south.

Adam