Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

fish can't find anemone??

I bought a clown fish (percula) and bubble anemone at the same time...about 2 weeks ago. seems like the anemone has found it's spot but the clown fish still hangs out at the top of the water near the corner... is there anything I can do?
Old 12/11/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

it will find it when its ready.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

If it a tank raised clown it may take a while before he will go to the anemone..... Then again it may never go to it..... They don't have to have a host to survive.. Good Luck
Old 12/12/2007, 06:57 PM
CMAS Member!

I have not seen a problem with tank raised fish hosting in anem.s...I have a rtba that was on the left side of a 120 gal and a pair of clowns on the right side. It stayed that was for over a year then, after a vacation, the nem. started moving./..low and behold the nem moved right in-between the two tile the clowns were spawning on and the clowns started hosting in the nem. Interesting that the nem traveled across the whole tank and fallowed the clowns. I tried feeding the nem well to have it stay put, but of course my god playing role didn't work. the nem started moving back to the right and this time the clowns followed. anyway, just thought I would share that neat story. BTW the clowns have since too a break on the spawning, probably due the the change.
Carl
Old 12/12/2007, 06:59 PM
CMAS Member!

Is that one clown you got....I would suggest a mate.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

It took 18 months for my tank-raised Perculas to find the BTA in a 25 gallon nano!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

18 months!?

Mine took 3 weeks. Before the rbta came along, they hosted the water surface for nearly a year.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:28 PM
Moved On

My ocellaris took one day to find the RBTA. My trick is to scare them to the side where the anemone is at night and turn off the lights. They end up sleeping and naturally find an anemone around a certain radius. I woke up finding it in the RBTA being all happy only to find out I turn the lights on and it wakes up and moves up to the corner again. After day 2 it just naturally started going there after waking up in it for few days. And I've had this work 3x or Im either really lucky LOL. But thats what I do anyhow, couldnt hurt to try.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:43 AM
CMAS Member!

Sometimes the fish have to acclimate to the stinging cells of the nem. Especially when they are small. So just try not to rush tings too much.
Hope this helps.
Carl