Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Dwarf Angelfish and Reefs?

i have seen many tank with flames and coral beautys regardless of them being semi-reef compatible. is this non-compatability over exaggerated or does it widely vary depending on the fish?
Old 12/02/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

It widely varies fish to fish. You basically have a 50/50 chance of a coral beauty or flame being a coral eater or safe. Some of the safe ones become coral munchers after a few years, too. However, as far as dwarf angels, the coral beauty and flame are some of your safer bets. Some dwarfs are more prone to being nippers than others.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

i just had to tear down my tank to remove a flame angel
Old 12/03/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dadonoflaw

how long did you have it in there?
Old 12/03/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I had a clam die almost a year ago, spewed something for a couple of days and then faded away. I ran carban and such and did water changes, everything looked OK. Shortly after, I added my Flame Angel. I started to notice my SPS polyps not extending fully, then shortly there after they stated to die. I never saw the Flame nip, so I assumed it was from the clam. Now I now longer have any SPS left, but I have witnessed my Flame Angel nipping at the SPS skeletons and pick at my Xenia. I suspect it may have been him. All of my LPS, Softies, Zoas have been doing fine.

The SPS were my least favorite corals and I love the Flame, so he is definitely here to stay. If you are considering a dwarf, you may have to choose the fish or the coral. Just keep in mind that they are very hard to get out.

If you really like corals and angels, why not try a Genicanthius Angel. They are complety reef safe. None of the Watanbei's or my Black Spot ever bothered a coral or clam and most don't get bigger than 6". They are just active swimmers, but slow growers, so depending on the length of your tank, you might be able to add one. HTH
Old 12/03/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Falconut. Look at the male Wantanabe or Female Bellus angels. They are relatively small, attractive, and should have no interest in corals. If you've got to have a Flame or Coral Beauty, you have a fair chance of success, just be sure you have a place to put it if he's into corals.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I, too, just had to tear my entire tank down to remove mine. I LOVED my flame - it was by far the most beautiful fish in my tank. However, after all my corals started to look withered, I started to wonder if he was the problem. I caught him in the act a few times. I replaced him with firefish (wonderful fish), and re-did ALL my rockwork.

But then there are some who say these fish are model citizens. Good luck!
Old 12/03/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

i guess im lucky. in my 75g the flame wont go near any of my sps or clam mantles. if it picks at the clam it is just on the shell and not the mantle.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 12/03/2007, 06:54 PM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by opiumpipez
i guess im lucky. in my 75g the flame wont go near any of my sps or clam mantles. if it picks at the clam it is just on the shell and not the mantle.
They can change. I've had my Flame for two years. Only in the past few months has it started nippng. I will have to remove him at some point
Old 12/03/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
it also took me nearly a week and a half to catch my flame angel. he loved to eat montipora and would nip my frogspawn so much it rarely would come out all the way. I have a coral beauty that doesn't seem to touch anything. I think they are a bit less prone to damage corals from what i've seen, but with angels it is always questionable and they are super hard to catch if they do become a problem