Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

wrasse jumping question

I've never owned a wrasse before but i'm think about getting
some kind of wrasse for my 120. The top is open but my question is can a wrasse clear eurobracing, its about 3-4 inches wide. Also are there any species that are less likely to jump than others?
Thanks
Old 12/01/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I have been it the hobby for 3 years and I have never had a wrasse jump out. On my current setup, I have no lids on the tank and no back on the canopy. I have lost no fish. The only fish that has jumped out on me and died was a Diamond Goby and I had a lit on the tank then. But he found a small hole. My Lawnmower tried as well but kept hitting the glass tops. But as for the wrasse, they will swim to the top, but never had one jump.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

With all do respect SH, I lost a beautiful Twin spot Hogfish (Yellow Candy Hogfish) when he jumped out of the tank while I was cleaning it and had the lid off. I can say after loosing this Twin Spot, a male Lyretail Anthias, and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, NEVER trust your fish to stay in their tank! Get a lid! Most any fish can jump, even healthy fish that are not chased or frightened.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:42 PM
Insane Reefer

Yes just about any fish can jump, but lets discuss why they would. An eel will escape (not exactly jump) because it's searching for new crevices and food, but the majority of fish kept in the hobby jump in self defense. If a fish can't get to a protected crevice or hideaway, then it jumps out of the water at an angle to confuse its attacker. In the wild it has room to exit at one point and enter from another point, but as we know in our tanks this often leads to carpet surfing.

Having non-compatible species will stress the lesser to jump, but many other factors of an aquarium can have the affect. Fish can "sense" another fish through their lateral line which detects electricity. Stray voltage from a pump or your lights can give off the illusion of a large predatory intruder. Bright lights turning on or off suddenly can spook your livestock as well as sudden movement from outside the tank. A dawn to dusk effect is best to gradually bring light and dark to your fish. If you don't normally have a lot of activity outside the tank, be sure to tell whomever not to startle your fish. If you do have regular activity, the fish will acclimate to the traffic. Most of what we need for a successful system is common sense if you know what to look for.
Old 12/02/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

i've had 3 wrasses clear my eurobracing and somehow get through all my lighting which has very few openings within the canopy. they are escape artists
Old 12/02/2007, 01:44 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Of all the years of fish keeping this is the only time I've had a handfull of wrasses jump... So I made a net covering that dosnt block light as is made out of real fish net so it dosn't really injure the fish plus can take the environment of the aquarium. they just bounce off it and back to the tank if they try.

easy to make.. roughly 20-30 mins to make the first time.

" Charles V "

Last edited by delsol650; 12/02/2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

i went to ACE hardware (or any local hardware store) got the white egg crate material and cut it to my tank took like 15 minutes to make and my wrasse hasnt even tried to escape.
Old 12/02/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Well wrasses jump and eggcrate will not contain them. There is no perfect solution other than acrylic covers but there are some that are 95% solutions. Probably the best is plastic screen mounted on a frame.

~Steve~
Old 12/02/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I'll lost four, with eggcrate on top of tank.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
Well wrasses jump and eggcrate will not contain them. There is no perfect solution other than acrylic covers but there are some that are 95% solutions. Probably the best is plastic screen mounted on a frame.
I agree. I doubled up the mesh and haven't lost one for quite awhile. Very easy to take off when working in the tank also.

Old 12/04/2007, 10:25 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Egg crates block too much light and can harm the fish as the jump up and hit the egg crate. the fish nets are best, and don't block out light.

" Charles V "
Old 12/04/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

I have netting, just like bradleyj on my 120g. i left the top open for a while with my flame wrasse, but after i lost my first blue dot jaw to jumping i decided to cover it when i got my new blue dot. I also just had to retrieve my buddies wrasse from the overflow box of his tank tonite, alive luckily, but they will jump even if not being threatened, they r easily spooked sometimes even by the lights kicking on or off.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

It is true they spook very easily. I have lost 3 so far to jumping,I have kids and I think they spook them sometimes or when the lights come on or off or absolutely no reason at all. Two of them made it through eggcrate the radiant really broke my heart,if only Id been home maybe... Im going with the net or mesh before I add another,good luck.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

All fish can jump. I've lost three Green Chromis because they jumped out of the tank and I had two of my wrasses jump into my overflow (McCosker's and Leopard).

Old 12/05/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I have lost eight fish to jumping, five of them wrasses. The first three were without a top, the rest were with egg crate. It's amazing how they can get through the egg crate. I now have netting like delsol650 and have not lost any to jumping. It does not cut down on light like egg crate and is much easier onthe fish if they try to jump. i should have gone to netting much sooner.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Where are you guys getting the "fish net"? Ive got quite a few "adult" stores here at the beach, but I fear I would not be able to explain the purpose of going in there to get fish net
Old 12/05/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I bought mine at Lowe's. It's in the gardening section, 1/2" wide holes.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

I bought a $15 cast net from Cabellas.com and cut it up to fit frames I made. Its clear 3/8" netting, so pretty hard for fish to fit through and doesn't block light.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Are we talking about the same thing- egg crate and light diffusers? The light diffuser that I have has vertical slats spaced 1/2" apart. It seems highly unikely that a small fish could jump and lift the egg-crate off, and escape, or be lucky enough to make it through the slats (most are too large to fit). If its too light for your fish, just brace the corners with strong rubberbands. however, all said, I do like the netting ideas.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

The fish actualy jump through the spaces in the eggcrate (light diffuser). I watched a longnose hawkfish do it while I was sitting in front of the tank. Luckily I was there to save him. I don't know how fish that look much larger than the 1/2" holes do it. I'm sure there are many people here who will tell you the same thing.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:19 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I actually watched my lubbocks fairy once simply pause in the water column, looking up, aim, and shoot through the gap between the light and the back of the tank/canopy. IMO there is something more to it than simple spooking. Too many times have I read about a fish finding that one tiny hole in the canopy. The odds of that happening by chance are so low...and the fish would have to be flopping against the top constantly to finally hit that hole...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/05/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Mine jumped and cleared my euro brace in the 2 month I had him. Scooped him up, put him back in the tank, still swimmin!
Old 12/05/2007, 04:47 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

3/8" is most recommeded.

" Charles V "
Old 12/05/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

the netting at lowes and depot are realy ment for birds not fish , they keep it with the weed block material. its used to keep birds away from fruits and berry bushes. I don't use it but have seen it used ,and it looks great.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:12 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I used real fish net to catch achovies, bait fish and smaller similar type fish.

" Charles V "