Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Crocea clam fot trade

I got this clam but he is just unhappy where ever I place him. I don't want him to be stressed out so I figured i'd give him away, but I'd rather have some nice Zoa's since they are my fav.

Any takes?

Old 01/03/2008, 02:05 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I'll trade ricordias, palys and/or zoas fro him/her.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/03/2008, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Location: Holiday Inn Express or my AVIS Rental Car (Algonquin on the weekends)
Are you running GFO on your tank? Because thats a big no no with clams. I had one in my nano cube that was doing great. Then I added some GFO and lost the clam within a week. I went away for work and came home to an empty shell.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Your nem also looks badly bleached.
What kind of lighting do you have over the tank?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:13 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I never heard that about GFO. I run a 150 grams at a time in my 220.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/03/2008, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

I have same clam in my tank and I run carbon, no problem... I find those clams to very strong, heck I neglected mine for a while I had to perform surgery to removed several xeinia that grew on him.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:22 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

GFO=Granular Ferric Oxide
Phosphate remover.

Old 01/03/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I am still trying to find the page that suggested removing the GFO if you have clams. I leads to PM. The page suggested that if you do run GFO that you should pump the effuluent through another reactor full of carbon to remove the GFO dust. I dont have a lot of room behind my tank and it has no sump so Im a little limited on space to add another reactor.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

I agree Sarah, The nem looks pretty bleached to mua also.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

No GFO, 2nd the nem was bleached when I got him, He has been in there about 1.5 weeks. 150 MH qhi 14k. He will recover becuase he gets fed every day.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:33 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Quote:
Originally posted by aaronpentz
Are you running GFO on your tank? Because thats a big no no with clams.
Sshh. Don't tell that to those of us, including past TOTM winners, who run GFO 24/7 and have no problems keeping clams.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/03/2008, 03:44 PM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Sshh. Don't tell that to those of us, including past TOTM winners, who run GFO 24/7 and have no problems keeping clams.
You know that those of us violating the rule do not speak of it. It's like Fight Club!

Now that it is out, my clam has been subjected to GFO 24/7 for months now and is healthier looking than when I purchased him. He must be a freak specimen.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 01/03/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow

Maybe I should have re-worded it. You have to be careful when running GFO with clams. I had my clam for three months and as soon as I added the GFO it caused problems with the clam. I was not home to remdy the problem so I lot the clam. I then googled it and found a lot of people that are having the same problems.

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/vie...7700190a4e26e2

Last edited by aaronpentz; 01/03/2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:59 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Ahh, the GFO dust is the problem. I am pretty sure that all the GFO products say to rinse the dust before using. I am going to be really careful.

Old 01/03/2008, 07:15 PM
Missing in Action???

I ran GFO 24/7 for over a year without issue
But to get this back on topic I will trade you some purple/pink Ricordias for it
Old 01/03/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I rinsed my GFO until it was clear it ended being about 3 gallons of tank water then hooked it up to the tank. You also have to be careful while your using it not just when you first refill your reactor. I know that phosban says that the flow should be enough to "vibrate" the top layer of GFO. Not to tumble it. even that minor movement causes the GFO to grind itself and release dust into the tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aaronpentz
Are you running GFO on your tank? Because thats a big no no with clams. I had one in my nano cube that was doing great. Then I added some GFO and lost the clam within a week. I went away for work and came home to an empty shell.
while there is no empirical evidence, there have been quite a few experienced and well respected reefers that have experienced alkalinity problems with initial use of GFO, others have had major losses due to a rapid decline on Po4, which the corrals had become accustomed to if you were to read the directions on your GFO, it would probably tell you this