Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Two spot hogfish or Canary wrasse?

I need help deciding, because I am torn between these two fish. I have a 90g reef, with a neon goby, yellowheaded jawfish, lubbocks fairy wrasse, striped bristletooth tang, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a firefish. I know that both of these fish may bully my firefish, and that my large cleaner shrimp, and large feather dusters may be in danger with those two fish.

Which one should I get?
Old 12/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

It is not good to mix Warasses. The hog will not get long with either.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

wraase compatability

I have the following wrasses in my 125 gal with no problem between them
1 each of the following:
Radiant
Blue sided
Lubbocks (Tri-color)
Christmas
Solar Fairy
Candy Spot Hog (Two spotted)
Old 12/28/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with another wrasse in my tank. Many people, just like micromount, have more than one wrasse in a tank with no problems. But I stilll don't know which one I should get.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Canary Wrasse is good for bristleworms but they are lousy shippers. LFS has about 50 % survival rate when they com in
Here is quote from Marine Depot Live:

RESTRICTED SPECIES: This species is very difficult to keep and should only be attempted by expert aquarists, or is a 'delicate shipper.' Our Arrive Alive guarantee is not available on this item.

Candy Spot is very colorful. If you get one try to get one over an inch long.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by micromount
Yellow Canary Wrasse is good for bristleworms but they are lousy shippers. LFS has about 50 % survival rate when they com in
Here is quote from Marine Depot Live:

RESTRICTED SPECIES: This species is very difficult to keep and should only be attempted by expert aquarists, or is a 'delicate shipper.' Our Arrive Alive guarantee is not available on this item.
A lfs is shutting down one of their display tanks, which has a canary wrasse in it. They said that I can take it when they shut down the tank and catch it.

Also, another lfs has a very healthy twopot hogfish, which is just over 2 inches.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:17 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Hog fish seems to be the less aggresive one of the two. A bit less common as well.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

You can mix most wrasse's. Make sure you know their eating habits and make sure you have a cover for your tank. I wouldn't add two males of the same species of wrasse.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I have had big problems with a Bodianus bimaculatus that chased and killed some of my fairy wrases that were introduced after the hogfish.
I would not recomend that fish at all since IME it can be a terror in a tank with wrases and fishes with similar apperance.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

My Twin-Spot is a beautiful 2.5-3" specimen, constantly cruising the reef, not overly shy, and not abusive It is one of my favorites.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help. I think I will get the hog, but I'll wait untill all of my other smaller fish are well established in my tank( I plan on getting a male mccoskers flasher wrasse, and a female if possible.