Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society (SCMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2005, 02:42 AM
Moved On

Moving to Colorado Springs

So I apparently posted in the wrong forum. I introduced myself in the Rocky Mountain forum but got directed here. I'm actually moving to the Springs area in Feb/March when my parter comes home from deployment and is stationed at Ft. Carson. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here and hopefully get a feel for the area before I move. I'm moving a few tanks w/ me when I come (it'll be kind of broken up because we have to find a place first and get things set up, then I'll have to go back to Boise for my seahorses and the likes after I have a tank set up for them in CO unless there's someone there that also does seahorses), and AJ has been sucked into the hobby so when he gets back from Iraq he wants to set up a tank too. I've convinced him that we need to start w/ a 150 or 200 until we finally get our own place and then we'll get bigger

I was down in the area about a month ago and got to visit several of the LFS and found a few that have really grown on me already. Anyhow, I'd love to get to know everyone in the club here so if you want to post and introduce yourselves also that'd be great.
Old 11/18/2005, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Get in touch with AnAnemone, he's a good friend of mine that moved from Pensacola to Manitou, which is right outside of Colorado Springs. Smart guy and a dedicated reefer!
Old 11/18/2005, 02:56 AM
Moved On

I'll do that. i'll look him up. appreciate it
Old 11/18/2005, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

I'm kind of a newbie to the colorado springs reefin scene myself. I moved her less than a year ago from san diego. I gotta say I have been beyond impressed with everyone I have met out here. Everytime I've needed a helping hand... I didnt have to reach far. Very very cool pack of reefers out here!
Old 11/18/2005, 10:02 AM
SCMAS Member

Welcome to the area. Our club is informal, but resourceful. Most of the members are always willing to help either with knowledge or manpower. We have monthly meetings that are like social get togethers where we discuss our hobby, and maybe eat a little food. We hope you can attend some when you get here. Time and location are posted on this site. Good luck with your move.
Old 11/21/2005, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum and to Colorado Springs. I retired out of Ft Carson and now live on the north end of town. i have a 125 reef and a Seahorse tank. I work shifts for USNORTHCOM so if I am available, I'd be glad to help anyway I can.
Old 11/21/2005, 08:29 PM
Moved On

thank you guys. I haven't been able to frequent the Co Springs forum that often lately (or RC for that matter) just because of working so much and holidays coming up, but I definitely hope to get to know more people here very soon. Does the Springs club have their own website at all? How big are meetings, ie. how many usually attend? How old is the club?

murfman, how long ago did you retire out of the army? I've been looking for places in the Springs area to live because hopefully we'll be getting a place early Feb. when I'm down there to see AJ at reception and the 48 hr pass they're getting before inprocessing. What do you think of Fountain? I found some nice places in that area but I know nothing about the town.
Old 11/21/2005, 08:31 PM
Moved On

oh, also wanted to ask, murfman, what species of seahorses do you keep? I have H. Comes right now, but when I move I wasn't sure how I was going to transport him since I'm going to have to tear his tank apart and reset it up (and i'm afraid of having to go through a tank cycle again and/or mixing up all the nitrates in the sand) so I won't have a place to keep him.
Old 11/23/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to the area. I'm in the middle of converting to a 125 w/overflows from a 120 with siphon box. Did you say work upward from a 200???? You must not be married, LOL.
Old 11/23/2005, 09:28 PM
Moved On

not married yet. he's working on me though "threatening" to pop the question one day hehe. He really liked the looks of this 150 we saw when we were down in CO last month when he was on leave so we might try to find something comparable. It'll def. be at least 120 because I want to be able to do a lot w/ our system. I just told him we need to find one that's affordable so we'll probably end up buying used. (so if anyone knows of any nice used systems w/ built in overflows for sale let me know)

I just told him when we finally get our own house I want a custom tank of at least 200+ (I've got to compete w/ my father's 300gal tank and 200gal sumproom ya know ) I'm thinking in-wall, wrapping around one corner, 3 sides exposed... hehe Guess it all depends on where the army moves us to over the next several years.
Old 11/24/2005, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Check out Exotic Tropicals, Fillmore and Wood. Trey can get you the best deal in town on new equipment, supplies and fish, and he gets a lot of consignment systems too.
Old 11/24/2005, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

i retired in 02. Fountain is nice, cheaper than the springs proper and closer to post.

I have H. redii, two of them and waiting on a yellow.
Old 11/24/2005, 04:07 PM
Moved On

you know they change colors right? My experience has been that the more brightly colored items you put in your tank the more likelyhood of them changing to brighter colors. If you've got 2 blacks already, there's a very good chance though that a yellow will change it's colors to black.
Old 11/24/2005, 04:08 PM
Moved On

how long had you been in murfman?