Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 09/15/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Update: After numerous posts and therads, i changed few things with this setup:

Tank, Stand & Canopy
-> 90G Standard AGA Tank
-> 90G Sedona Stand
-> DIY Canopy

Flow
-> Two Seio 1100 Power Heads
-> Aqua Clear 110 DIY Refugium
-> Aqua Clear 70 Power Filter

Lighting
-> Tek 4x54W HO T5 READY Retro Lights (2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Aqua blue 12k)
-> 20Watt 6500K CF lighting from Lowes for Refugium Lighting

Refugium
-> Aqua Clear 110 DIY Refugium

Filtration
-> Aqua Clear 110 power filter with sponge, carbon & poly filter
-> 2-3” Shallow sand bed
-> Around 120 lb of Live Rock & Dry Rock
-> Aqua Clear surface skimmer

Fish
-> Pair Green Chromis
-> Pearl Jaw fish
-> Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
-> Orange/Red Spotted Blenny
-> Royal Gramma
-> Pair Fire fish
-> Pair of Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 09/15/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

all those fish and no skimmer what about the ammonia
Old 09/15/2006, 11:30 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

I was checking up on the rumored Seio controller and it looks like they are now available on a limited basis. I would consider using at least one to vary the flow. Given the fact that the controller doesn't work with 820's and 620's, I would go with 1100's to keep the controller option open.

With that much rock and a shallow sandbed, I don't think ammonia will be a problem based on the fish load. If anything you may have to work on nitrates with more frequent water changes. You can consider some macro algae in tank as well. Bet that opens up a discussion!

Looking at your fish list you might need to rethink the yellow tail damsels. I'm a little concerned how the firefish will fair.

After surfing the topoff solutions for a couple of hours and chatting with some of our club members I think I will go with one of Autotopoff.coms double switches for an in sump setup controlling a powerhead in a 14 gallon drum I have that will hold Kalk solution. At my current consumption rate that should last about 3 weeks.

I think we're all bozos on this bus!
Old 09/16/2006, 12:21 AM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by SMS76

So you think one 1100 and possibly one 620 or 820 will do the trick?
That's my vote, but I already voted But just to add thats what I currently have in my 55 right now, and I do have euphyllia,acanthastrea,calaustrea,favia,blastomussa wellsi,echinophyllia,and leptastrea. And all are doing splended, and appreciate the food the currents carry. Definately the most sensitive is the euphyllia in my opinion but I solved that by just having the pump over it so it never recieves the frontal force only the return from the circular motion I got. I think grouping LPS to low flow gets suggested too much sometimes, and alot of people would be surprised to see how much flow these guys get naturally in the wild.
Am I up to four cents now?

-Justin
Old 09/16/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damitchsta
all those fish and no skimmer what about the ammonia

Well, i am planning to add these fish very slowly. Also most of the fishes are small and doesn't have specific food requirement (like feeding 4 times a day etc...) Will see how it goes.
Old 09/16/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I was checking up on the rumored Seio controller and it looks like they are now available on a limited basis. I would consider using at least one to vary the flow. Given the fact that the controller doesn't work with 820's and 620's, I would go with 1100's to keep the controller option open.

Good point, will look in to controller

With that much rock and a shallow sandbed, I don't think ammonia will be a problem based on the fish load. If anything you may have to work on nitrates with more frequent water changes. You can consider some macro algae in tank as well. Bet that opens up a discussion!

I am planning to do water changes every other week. I will have cheato in the refugium. I am not planning to put other algae in the tank as of now

Looking at your fish list you might need to rethink the yellow tail damsels. I'm a little concerned how the firefish will fair.

I am planning to add them last, possibly after few months after i add firefish but if it's a big concern, i might not add them.

After surfing the topoff solutions for a couple of hours and chatting with some of our club members I think I will go with one of Autotopoff.coms double switches for an in sump setup controlling a powerhead in a 14 gallon drum I have that will hold Kalk solution. At my current consumption rate that should last about 3 weeks.

I had very similar diy setup that i did in my previous tank and it worked pretty good for couple years. Key is to keep the sensor (floats) clean and it should work just fine. If you have an extra power head, put it in the timer and have it in the 14 g drum so it will mix your kalk solution pretty well. Have it come on once or twice a day for few minutes if you like.
Old 09/16/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin74
That's my vote, but I already voted But just to add thats what I currently have in my 55 right now, and I do have euphyllia,acanthastrea,calaustrea,favia,blastomussa wellsi,echinophyllia,and leptastrea. And all are doing splended, and appreciate the food the currents carry. Definately the most sensitive is the euphyllia in my opinion but I solved that by just having the pump over it so it never recieves the frontal force only the return from the circular motion I got. I think grouping LPS to low flow gets suggested too much sometimes, and alot of people would be surprised to see how much flow these guys get naturally in the wild.

-Justin

I remember, that indeed was your suggetion. So you think LPS also appreciate high flow, may be not as much high flow as SPS but good amount of flow.

I think my HOB filters will help with the flow but having two seio 1100's will really help with flow through out the tank. May be i should do poll here on LPS forum as i am still not sure.
Old 09/16/2006, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

I have no problem if it even goes to dollar or more
Old 09/17/2006, 12:09 AM
Moving Along

Quote:

I have no problem if it even goes to dollar or more

Not so much that they like high flow, although some indeed are found along nooks and flats near SPS and near turbulent waters. Although in general theyre more common in deeper waters, but thats not to say there isnt good current there as well. Its all about laminar flow if your indeed going to give it to em. Plus my rockscape sounds like it may be similar although I have 2 big islands in the back and 2 small ones infront I also have a arcing tonga connecting a smaller island in the corner to the big one in back so it does slow the flow down pretty significantly. I do get a strong current towards the top, but thats in part because of the angle of my 620, I bank the flow off the front glass at a 30 degree angle with my 1100 . I still have dead pockets in places, there not important places but just gives you an idea if I can get em in my 55g, you definately wont have too much flow for you 90 Start off with just one 1100 if your still apprehensive, you may be just happy with that and not need another. Speaking of stream pumps you may even want to hold out for the new stream pumps by Tunze, there flow ratings/sizes are virtually identicle as well as economical, and definately sleaker in design. Or you can buy my Seios in the FS threads when the new Tunze's come out

-Justin
Old 09/17/2006, 10:09 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Quote:
[B]
I had very similar diy setup that i did in my previous tank and it worked pretty good for couple years. Key is to keep the sensor (floats) clean and it should work just fine. If you have an extra power head, put it in the timer and have it in the 14 g drum so it will mix your kalk solution pretty well. Have it come on once or twice a day for few minutes if you like.
Good advice, I'll remember to add the mixer powerhead. Given the fact that I misadjusted the drip on my Aquadose today and dumped an extra 2 gallons into the sump today, I'll be doing this soon!

I think we're all bozos on this bus!
Old 09/18/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Have it come on once or twice a day for few minutes if you like. [/B]
You don't want to mix the Kalk daily in the big ole bucket method, All you do is mix it once when you refill the bucket to stir it up then you just let it sit. CO2 is the enemy to Kalk so you don't want to stir it so it will stay more potent for longer. In a Kalk reactor type scenerio stirring it daily is no big deal because it is closed system where it is not in open air. I personally don't shoot for more than a 5-7 days worth to limit just how much can be added in a topoff failure. I probably wouldn't go more than 2 weeks worth at a time just to be sure it doesn't loose potency for that long of storage.

Even though you mention using double float switch, I still don't consider that to be good redundancy as float switches are probably the least reliable top off method due to failures. The last thing you want it up to 14g of Kalk to end up in your 90g tank. I would still combine both the float switch and timer based so if something goes wrong with the switches then you would be only dumping in X amount per day/hour based on how long you set the timer for.

With kalk you can never be too safe so think through the worst case scenerios very good to avoid a potential disaster.