Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2006, 11:44 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mjdlonghorn

I will soon be starting my own business on ebay selling MJD Limited Edition "electric brown" zoos. I am sure some sucker will buy them.
sorry my friend, it's not that easy like you say. if that was the case we would have alot of "TYREE" out there. you should give it a try and tell us how much you profit from the MJD LE electric brown zoos. just put it this way, there are lots of shoes out there but why would people camp over night/long lines/ high prices and even kill each other over a pair of jordans?
Old 07/15/2006, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mjdlonghorn
I was the one who posted the original topic. I have experience with fish aquariums, but not with coral. I was interested in why so many people spend so much energy talking about LE coral.

I have since decided that this steve tyree guy is a con and this whole Limited edition thing is a SHAKEDOWN.

Some people say that his corals are worht it because they dont have to wonder about which corals are spectacular and which are just average. This doesnt make sense, you mean you have to have someone tell you which corals are special?

I have been doing some digging and decided to buy my corals from places like reefermadness. The prices are cheaper and you actually get an entire colony not just a frag. Plus you get the corals sent overnight, not your name placed on some stupid waitlist.

I will soon be starting my own business on ebay selling MJD Limited Edition "electric brown" zoos. I am sure some sucker will buy them.
If it brings you satisfaction doing this, then that is all that matters.
Old 07/15/2006, 02:03 AM
why can't i love???

shoes? i knew an ebayer who sold shoes. hmmm.

i thought this was interesting.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=883182
Old 07/15/2006, 04:35 AM
Moved On

found this shop with pretty nice RARE corals and cheap price? maybe they would have some true blue sqam for $70.

Last edited by mhurley; 07/15/2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07/15/2006, 04:45 AM
ren and stimpy

Quote:
I was the one who posted the original topic. I have experience with fish aquariums, but not with coral. I was interested in why so many people spend so much energy talking about LE coral. I have since decided that this steve tyree guy is a con and this whole Limited edition thing is a SHAKEDOWN.

Some people say that his corals are worht it because they dont have to wonder about which corals are spectacular and which are just average. This doesnt make sense, you mean you have to have someone tell you which corals are special?

I have been doing some digging and decided to buy my corals from places like reefermadness. The prices are cheaper and you actually get an entire colony not just a frag. Plus you get the corals sent overnight, not your name placed on some stupid waitlist.

Interesting you call him a con considering how much impact he has had on this hobby, easy to say things like that over the internet, behind a computer monitor, with little knowledge of how much he has contributed to the hobby. Once again I stand behind my statement that if you don't like them, then don't buy them, but please don't bash those who do, and by all means, don't bash a pioneer like Tyree, just because you don't agree with what he does, doesn't mean he is a con, the man has done more for the reef hobby than you know, as far as I can tell, so calling him a con is way out of line in my opinion. He is a business man, earning money off of the frags that he sells, quite frankly, he would have to be an idiot to lower his prices when people are willing to spend the cash to get frags from him, there isn't a single business man in the world that would lower their prices if they were successful doing what they do. This whole topic has gotten out of hand, bashing people like Tyree is way out of line in my opinion, and there is no need for it, like I said, if you don't like LE's then don't buy them, but by all means don't bash others who do, or those who provide these frags.

Last edited by kozmo02; 07/15/2006 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07/15/2006, 05:09 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by kozmo02
slightly suspicious.......
Old 07/15/2006, 10:51 AM
Waste Management

Calling the man a con thats just F@#ked up. You made your opinion you don't need to come on the board & bash someones name you don't even know. Good luck with the brown zoo endevor hope that works out for you.
Old 07/15/2006, 12:05 PM
why can't i love???

yeah...i hope i did not bash him directly...if i did i would like to retract that and make clear that my statements are related to the whole LE thing as a whole. Tyree is a well known name and as such becomes a lightning rod for both opinions. i myself worded a couple of lines saying it seems dirty and such...looking at where this thread has gone i should have worded that better and in more general terms....although if that type of selling frags behind waiting lists is true i would be real upset to hear that.
Old 07/15/2006, 12:25 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by 2x210g
found this shop with pretty nice RARE corals and cheap price? maybe they would have some true blue sqam for $70.
http://whitiespets.com/newpets.php
do you think they have one of these?

or maybe one of these?

or maybe this two tone acan?

haha it's all good man. is that the store you said your uncle owns in the pm you sent me? if so should you be making fun of your uncles store? if it's not...what store does your uncle own here in town 2x210 (you said it's right next to a circuit city right)?
Old 07/15/2006, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Everyone open up your Reef Aquarium Vol. 1 and look in the back at all of the "spectacular reef aquariums from around the world" check out Tyree's tank compared to others.
Old 07/15/2006, 01:16 PM
Moved On

sorry that's not the store, but i just found out where to cherry pick when those rare coral comes in and maybe have a chance to buy it before the worker get it( 1week policy for worker).
maybe i might get lucky and find a whole colony of watermelon chalice like someone.
Old 07/15/2006, 01:26 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by 2x210g
sorry that's not the store, but i just found out where to cherry pick when those rare coral comes in and maybe have a chance to buy it before the worker get it( 1week policy for worker).
maybe i might get lucky and find a whole colony of watermelon chalice like someone.
which store is it then? you said your uncles name was john...right? you said that it was located next to a circuit city (there is only one in fresno)...i think you posted your uncles store...man thats pretty harsh, no love in that family. i bet he is going to be mad at you. i would never do that to family...but thats just me.
Old 07/15/2006, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Interesting you call him a con considering how much impact he has had on this hobby, easy to say things like that over the internet, behind a computer monitor, with little knowledge of how much he has contributed to the hobby. Once again I stand behind my statement that if you don't like them, then don't buy them, but please don't bash those who do, and by all means, don't bash a pioneer like Tyree, just because you don't agree with what he does, doesn't mean he is a con, the man has done more for the reef hobby than you know, as far as I can tell, so calling him a con is way out of line in my opinion. He is a business man, earning money off of the frags that he sells, quite frankly, he would have to be an idiot to lower his prices when people are willing to spend the cash to get frags from him, there isn't a single business man in the world that would lower their prices if they were successful doing what they do. This whole topic has gotten out of hand, bashing people like Tyree is way out of line in my opinion, and there is no need for it, like I said, if you don't like LE's then don't buy them, but by all means don't bash others who do, or those who provide these frags.
Excellent post, my thoughts to the T Now if only this thread would die with it as an ending
Old 07/16/2006, 12:41 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by duec22
I don't even know how to respond to that other than to ask how far up you had to reach for that line of BS....
Yes, some of the corals that he has had for several years that are still on the LE list produce far more than the 1 frag a month...However, anything that is new he is starting for a frag and he is not takeing multipule frags from it...which is the time that the waiting list is formed, and his production is limited. For example the watermellon chalice..how many extra frags of that did he have at that meeting?
He had 4 frags that had been purchased before the meeting. He set a list to the club of stuff we could buy. 2 more were sold at the meeting, and 3 were donated to be auctioned off.

So 9 frags of something thats got a multi year waiting list. That makes me think the list is a joke.
Old 07/16/2006, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NorthernCF

I am still looking for the conflict of interest here. Perhaps selling to the clubs is is joy and priority. I have not re-scrutinized the site. Is there indeed a place where Tyree says he only sells product through the INTERNET site? Please quote and post if it does, that would be worthy information.

Old 07/16/2006, 11:28 AM
why can't i love???

if he sells every where else then what is the multi year waiting list for? just attempting to understand as it seems like a marketing tool instead of a real list of hobbyists waiting for a rare coral in high demand.
Old 07/16/2006, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

It is a marketing tool, though certianly not, "just". I don't see the injustice of a marketing tool though. I know some folks on that waiting list. I have seen corals they have purchaced from that list too. The corals look good and his customers seem satisfied.
Old 07/16/2006, 02:38 PM
ren and stimpy

if he didn't have a list then some people would never get a chance to get certain pieces. if it was just a free for all then people could just go in and buy as many frags as they want and it would be very sloppy. the list keeps things organized and guarantees people a frag when their time comes, it may be a marketing tool but it also just helps make running the business smoother because he knows who is getting a frag and how to contact them, nothing wrong with having a list.

i keep reptiles too and i know of several breeders that have wait lists for their animals, its just a way of keeping things organized and making sure the customers are happy.

people dont seem to realize there are wait lists for everything, there are people that sit on wait lists for years just to get cars and put down huge deposits to hold that place in line, people get on wait lists for the new gaming consoles like xbox, wait lists are used all over the place and nobody seems to complain except when Tyree has a wait list for corals that aren't at all common, then suddenly it becomes a problem...........marketing tool or not, its a good way to run a business and keeps customers aware of where they stand and i see no issues in having one in use.
Old 07/16/2006, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Are the people at Petco "visonaries" for imagining a tank in every house? Could you say that Petco is a "pioneer" for spreading interest in the hobby? Of course not. I got interested in the hobby while shopping at petco, but they have not "done so much for the hobby" that you cant criticism them when they deserve it.

I know you people like to think of this Tyree guy as a saint. I heard he reads to blind children and works with lepers and stuff. But I am going to have to come down on him. He is trying to scam people by making them believe perceive a difference between his coral and the stuff you can buy on other sites.

Some of you compare his waitlist to similar sales tactics like waitlist on cars. Yeah you can be on a waitlist for a SL600 and pay $10 G overr sticker price. That is a shakedown and that is contemptable. Tyree is making suckers out of people, how is that helping the hobby?
Old 07/16/2006, 04:04 PM
why can't i love???

i think the problem if there is one with the waiting list is that it is really not being used as most lists for not so common items are used for. the reason for the list is to be certain you get one of these items...if i was on a waiting list for more than six months (like for the xbox 360) and then found out that a gaming club was able to buy a 360 from the very same company before me i would be mad...using it as a marketing tool is fine...i am just used to a waiting list like that being used to ensure that every customer is helped in the order that they signed up,and maybe it is enough that we have publicly worked out what the waiting list is really in place for...marketing product and keeping interest high.
Old 07/16/2006, 04:08 PM
ren and stimpy

How is it a shakedown? if people are WILLING to pay it, then it isn't a shakedown, when you shake someone down you are making them pay against their will.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy an SL600, a 599GTB, a F430, they are bought by choice and their owners pay a premium to own the car first off the waiting lists.........you know why..........because they WANT TO AND BECAUSE THEY CAN, nobody put a gun to their head.

Nobody said Tyree is a saint, but he has done a lot for the hobby that you guys don't seem to be giving him credit for, and considering how many online retailers make money off the latest "trend" corals and charge insane prices for the hottest coral of the week, I don't see why you guys act like Tyree is some guy trying to get rich by "shaking down" people, he doesn't shake down anyone, he provides frags of corals for people that want them, those people dont mind spending the money, and they don't mind sitting on a list, so if they dont mind.........why should you?
Old 07/16/2006, 04:11 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
How is it a shakedown? if people are WILLING to pay it, then it isn't a shakedown, when you shake someone down you are making them pay against their will.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy an SL600, a 599GTB, a F430, they are bought by choice and their owners pay a premium to own the car first off the waiting lists.........you know why..........because they WANT TO AND BECAUSE THEY CAN, nobody put a gun to their head.

Seriously think about what you are saying, if you don't like the corals then don't buy them but he is certainly not shaking anyone down when people are buying these corals on their own free will with their own money.

Nobody said Tyree is a saint, but he has done a lot for the hobby that you guys don't seem to be giving him credit for, and considering how many online retailers make money off the latest "trend" corals and charge insane prices for the hottest coral of the week, I don't see why you guys act like Tyree is some guy trying to get rich by "shaking down" people, he doesn't shake down anyone, he provides frags of corals for people that want them, those people dont mind spending the money, and they don't mind sitting on a list, so if they dont mind.........why should you?

one more post for the big five-tizzle.
Old 07/16/2006, 04:19 PM
ren and stimpy

For the record, I will say that I have never personally witnessed any deviation from the list, I know when they came through Fresno it was Frank selling corals, I don't think it was Tyree if I remember right. I could be wrong. Even then, there was never any proof that he deviated from the list and sold frags to people here before he sold to anyone on any lists, I think that is just being assumed. I think for the most part the list is stuck too pretty well because I have seen numerous people here on the boards get their frags right when they were supposed to.

I've never personally dealt with Tyree or his business before, I just don't see what all the fuss is with everyone being so anti-Tyree, it seem the simple solution to that would be to just not buy from him if you don't like it, I seriously doubt anyones personal feelings here would ever make him decide to change his business tactics, and on top of that, I'd be willing to bet he doesn't even read this stuff.....seems like a waste to complain in my opinion.
Old 07/17/2006, 09:55 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
For the record, I will say that I have never personally witnessed any deviation from the list, I know when they came through Fresno it was Frank selling corals, I don't think it was Tyree if I remember right. I could be wrong. Even then, there was never any proof that he deviated from the list and sold frags to people here before he sold to anyone on any lists, I think that is just being assumed. I think for the most part the list is stuck too pretty well because I have seen numerous people here on the boards get their frags right when they were supposed to.
It is not assumed. Tyree was at MY club meeting last month, and was selling TONS of LE corals.

Thats the thing, most waiting lists are for things you can't get any other way. Theres a waiting list because the item is unavailable. Thats not true with Tyree, hes selling them at a pretty brisk pace. The waiting list is NOTHING but a marketing tool. I feel bad for any sad sap on one of his lists.
Old 07/17/2006, 10:42 AM
why can't i love???

that sounds definitive. so the "list" is just simply used to build excitement...and draw a crowd...thats what lines and waiting lists do...they catch peoples interest. like i said if he is using it to market his product then that makes him a pretty savvy business man and we were able to define what the list is being used primarily for that makes us smart consumers.