Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/11/2006, 12:59 AM
why can't i love???

naw that's ok...I am glad they came down in price though. the last part of you sentence does not make sense... I could not decipher it's meaning. maybe like me you are tired. good night.
Old 07/11/2006, 01:10 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mummra100769

wait till i post some pics of three new micros i scored. now i paid more than you would for anLPS coral but micros are still rare and hard to come by in these colors (just ask Jendub).

matter of fact i can not wait to post them. i only have the pics my buddy sent me so they are not the best but i think you can get an idea of what these are going to look like.
i was talking about the 3 acan/micros that you stated that you scored and can't wait to post them.
Old 07/11/2006, 01:12 PM
Member Registered

Re: hey

Quote:
nope just what is in my tanks...come on man why would i even want to try and scam you? i really think you are taking this personal...it's not personal on my part. this is only the internet and hostility towards people over the phone and cable lines is kinda silly. really i am kinda offened in a way as i have not lead you to believe that i was going to decieve you...i suppose it is human nature to make conclusions like that though. if i did open up the pics from the store you would be impressed. i would never do that on here though.

i did not even know that you owned a hobby related business...really speaking from experience you have to be carefull what you say and do when dealing with people who frequent hobby boards (this applies to just about any hobby business and related forum i am sure of that).

now on to the pics. it seems to me like some one has fed you info but i do assure you that not only did all these corals come from the store i work for but i also do not sell them out of my home tanks (i have proof of this as i get requests all the time to frag my personal stock). matter of fact i go out of my way NOT to use RC as a place to sell corals.

now i am going to give you close ups just as atease and when i have more time on tuesday i will give you a full tank shot. i know this is only going to fuel your doubt but i think in the end you will believe (i am just kidding here as you and i seem to be on different ends of this deal...where you seem to be actually upset i could not be farther from upset and hope you like the pics).

reeffarmers:
( here i am going to put the name of the LE instead of pulling a pic off the reeffarmers site. it does not seem right to use without reeffarmers ok. after the name i will post a pic of my coral).

reeffarmers- AQUASCENE GOLDEN EYE

reeffarmers-BRANCHING ALIEN EYE

reeffarmers-BLUE TIPPED MONTI

(i think mine looks better)

reeffarmers-THE WAR CORAL

now here are some i believe are easily LE worthy.lol

if you are getting rid of micros that look like this man you must have some amazing stuff.

i will offer up some more worthy corals on tuesday.

dude. i am done...i am tired and will post a full tank shot as you requested on tuesday.

all coral pics come from three different tanks. those tanks are as follows and all were located at my home and never available for sale.

37 gal.cube- no longer running but still have most of the corals.
60 gal. prop/QT tank-still running
dual 40 gal.-just starting to add corals to it as it is still very new.
#1 Not the Golden Eye. It is nice but the Golden Eye has a green rim and a different base color. Yours looks like it is turning into Chin Monsters' Monster Mash Echino.
#2Not the Branching Alien Eye. In fact the Branching Alien Eye is one of Tyrees worst corals anyway. I have a full colony of it and I can't sell frags for $30. But still yours is not the Branching Alien Eye. Yours is green on green. Even more common that the real one.
#3Now that is a nice Monti. I have never seen one like it come in to any of the wholesalers I deal with. This one I admit is LE worthy and possibly the Blue Tipped Monti.
#4In no case is this the War Coral. I have the parent colony of this coral and unfortunately lots of people get this one confused. The real War Coral is very different. It has teal blotches and the red is very different. You would have to see it but it is not just a red and green Favites. I have only seen one other that looked like it and that was being sold by Aquadesignz. He was selling the colony for $1200. Trust me. The real War Coral is very rare.
#5 and #6 Common Purple Haze Monti. Everyone and their mother has this one.
#7 and #8 Tri-colors come in like this all the time. Not LE worthy.

Actually I do have some amazing corals but a lot of them are Tyree corals. Some stuff I have is not LE but still nice. Not all rare corals are LE. Tyree doesn't agree with everyone on what is rare but most of them are very much worth the money (Not the branching alien eye). Another one that is outdated is the Fiji Astreopora. That one comes in all the time now. But again most of them are ones that you will not find anywhere else or at least not often.

Anyway other than the Monti and the knock off golden eye, your corals are pretty common and not LEs. Not to say your corals aren't nice but with some of them you are just seeing something that isn't there.

I think you missed my point about you working in a store. You failed to mention that before and I think that is a valid point. If you work in a store you happen to get first pics when corals come in. Same exact way I happend to get the War Coral, Juners Echino, Rainbow Monti, and some of the other corals I have. You work in a store long enough or go to wholesalers long enough and of course you will find rare corals. Someone has to get them.

Although you did just prove my point with all of your pics. Those are the ones you cherry picked from your store and those are the ones you believe to be LE worthy. In your opinion are they common? No. You kept them because you thought they were rare. So that means they don't come in all the time like you stated earlier. So where is your Watermelon colony? What about you Dragon Eye Montastrea colony?

I'm not sure why you think I am angry. Quote me to let me know how I sound angry. I am probably just as calm as you are. Sitting here staring at my LEs keeps me pretty calm.
Old 07/11/2006, 01:16 PM
Member Registered

I forgot to add that I invite you to stop by my place some time to take a look at some of these corals in person. I have reefers come by all the time to talk about tanks and do trades and such. If you are ever in the San Jose area PM me.
Old 07/11/2006, 01:50 PM
why can't i love???

dude you just seem stand off-ish. i for one have had customers give tyree corals they bought from my store to become LE so i know my stuff is good.

i don't care if mine are common or rare i just buy what i like. i also have to wait a week before i purchase any coral (my own policy) so that our customers have first crack at them so everything i posted is what is left over...being the person who runs the fish department i along with my employees always give the customer first dibs on every thing we get...no cherry picking here...i could not do that to my customers. now as soon as a week passes i am swooping down on what i like you can believe that.

here is some customer service:
i recieved 4 true blue squamosa. now i really wanted one of these bad but demand was there and so i am still waiting...and am happy to wait as long as my customers are happy.

i really was posting all that just out of sarcasm...i like them that is all that matters. LE or not LE that is the question.lol

we all have our ways of finding the sweet stuff...i wish you luck in your trips to the wholesalers.

in your reponse you demonstrate the problems with naming corals rare and LE...you have a vested interest in this area of the business and i think you are to close to be able to see both sides. at first i did not understand why you were so defensive of this type of practice but now i understand...and you are welcome to conduct yourself any way you see fit.

i knew you were going to bash my corals and i am ok with it because i do not need others approval, i do this to put out a fire like desire burning inside me...heck i have seen some leathers that were super sweet....i don't know man... i am just not hung up on the whole LE thing. once again to each his own and more power to them to pay what ever they want and buy what ever they want... my point stands that if a coral i had been waiting for on a posted list was sold to some one else before me that had not been waiting i would be ticked off.

i might take you up on your offer (although i get a feeling that i had better bring some back up.lol). i get that way a couple of times a year...maybe i could meet dieselab in person as well.
Old 07/11/2006, 02:02 PM
why can't i love???

everything i posted in the pics i have had multiple ones come in as we can not buy it if it is something we rarely see (another one of my policies). for us it's about hooking up the customer... i am happy with the leftovers.lol
Old 07/11/2006, 05:25 PM
Moved On

Quote:

i recieved 4 true blue squamosa. now i really wanted one of these bad but demand was there and so i am still waiting...and am happy to wait as long as my customers are happy.
DAMM 4 true blue squamosa at the same store at the same time. i wish i work at that fish store. were they going for under $100 each? i need to move out to cental cali. just to cherry pick at this fish store.
Old 07/11/2006, 05:33 PM
Waste Management

Yeah what's the name of the store I'll send my friend over he does service around Central. I would love to get one of those Blue Squams.
Old 07/11/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

i don't care if mine are common or rare i just buy what i like. i also have to wait a week before i purchase any coral (my own policy) so that our customers have first crack at them so everything i posted is what is left over...being the person who runs the fish department i along with my employees always give the customer first dibs on every thing we get...no cherry picking here...i could not do that to my customers. now as soon as a week passes i am swooping down on what i like you can believe that.

I think I know which store this is. I don't want to be hater because I actually like your store and your prices are outstanding, but your statements not exactly true. I come into Fresno about once a week or more for business and make it a point to swing by in the mornings. Quite frequently, I see corals (or groups of corals) marked NFS. I am told that the manager has placed the corals on hold for himself.

I notice them because they are usually the nicest corals in the display and they were not there the week prior. They are indeed nice corals and I would buy them in a second, but they are always marked NFS. There is no way any of those corals you posted in your store for more than two weeks, especially at your low prices.

Thankfully, I'm not to far away from Ming Wei and Joleen. They have good taste and get in nice corals like you. They keep the really nice pieces, but at least they are willing to sell frags. So I have access to really nice corals. Yeah I pay more per inch, but at least I know I don't have the only one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but they can do this because they are better setup for long term survival than your store. They have more space, larger tanks, and super high end equipment. They don't have to unload their super nice corals quickly. They can hold onto them for years.

Sure, colonies are nice, but selling frags of your desirable colonies instead of stocking them away in your home tank insures that they will not disappear forever if you have a catastrophe at home. Personally, I'd rather pay more for a frag of your nice corals than not being able to buy them at all.

Not being able to purchase these same corals and share in their beauty (that pink echino is hot) in effect makes them priceless like art work in a museum. Priceless is more expensive than any of Tyree's frags.

Getting back at the Tyree issue. I have noticed that those who complain about Tyree "stealing" coral from hobbyists to make a profit aren't the ones Tyree is stealing coral from.

If I'm not mistaken, the original donors of Tyree's frags aren't posting (Steve Tyree ruined my life or Steve Tyree robbed my house). Perhaps we should ask them how they feel.

Last edited by Imhotep, Imhotep; 07/11/2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07/11/2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member.

I can only speak from my experience...I have had some of my corals become Le's because I called Steve. I offered frags and still have the colonies.I am also on many of his waiting list and can vouch for recieving mass emails of le's that someone has cancled at first come first serve.Most of the time I do not buy from this list simple because I have obtained them already from people that have recieved them and grown them out.many people on the list obtain them from others also,so if nobody jumps on the canceled corals why now sell them in other venues.Most of the time it's the ones supplying the frags to steve in hopes that it will hit big so that they make the money( since They still have they colonies) So if anybody is shady it's the hobbiest! Steve won't know about you and your corals unless YOU contact him.Then he asks " how much do you sell frags for" ...setting a market value.So to all that think he's scamming everyone try looking at the whole picture and you might be surprised to find it's YOUR fellow hobbiest!
Old 07/11/2006, 08:34 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by 2x210g
DAMM 4 true blue squamosa at the same store at the same time. i wish i work at that fish store. were they going for under $100 each? i need to move out to cental cali. just to cherry pick at this fish store.
well it was three at one time...then a fourth a couple of weeks later.
thats right and two of them are on this board. pm me and i will give you the names. i do not want to publicly. they were around $70.00 if i remember correctly.

plus you live in the bay area so you could make it down if you wanted to.lol
Old 07/11/2006, 08:39 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by Imhotep, Imhotep
I think I know which store this is. I don't want to be hater because I actually like your store and your prices are outstanding, but your statements not exactly true. I come into Fresno about once a week or more for business and make it a point to swing by in the mornings. Quite frequently, I see corals (or groups of corals) marked NFS. I am told that the manager has placed the corals on hold for himself.

I notice them because they are usually the nicest corals in the display and they were not there the week prior. They are indeed nice corals and I would buy them in a second, but they are always marked NFS. There is no way any of those corals you posted in your store for more than two weeks, especially at your low prices.

Thankfully, I'm not to far away from Ming Wei and Joleen. They have good taste and get in nice corals like you. They keep the really nice pieces, but at least they are willing to sell frags. So I have access to really nice corals. Yeah I pay more per inch, but at least I know I don't have the only one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but they can do this because they are better setup for long term survival than your store. They have more space, larger tanks, and super high end equipment. They don't have to unload their super nice corals quickly. They can hold onto them for years.

Sure, colonies are nice, but selling frags of your desirable colonies instead of stocking them away in your home tank insures that they will not disappear forever if you have a catastrophe at home. Personally, I'd rather pay more for a frag of your nice corals than not being able to buy them at all.

Not being able to purchase these same corals and share in their beauty (that pink echino is hot) in effect makes them priceless like art work in a museum. Priceless is more expensive than any of Tyree's frags.

Getting back at the Tyree issue. I have noticed that those who complain about Tyree "stealing" coral from hobbyists to make a profit aren't the ones Tyree is stealing coral from.

If I'm not mistaken, the original donors of Tyree's frags aren't posting (Steve Tyree ruined my life or Steve Tyree robbed my house). Perhaps we should ask them how they feel.
ah man i wish we would have talked then i could have cleared this up...all holds must have my approval so when you see something that is NFS then 9 out of 10 times it is for a regular that has either purchased it and is coming back for it or wanted to put it on hold for a couple of days...we get this alot, people thinking that all the good stuff is going to the employees but if you are there monday morn then you can score some really sweet stuff.

i along with all other employees must...must wait one full week before we can purcahse items.sometimes our set ups are so full with corals that the good stuff gets over looked....i would like to state that i have had sps stay in our systems for more than 6 months before they sold and triple in size...i am sorry we did not clear any of this up when you were in the store as we would have loved to do so.

i don't like to talk shop on here... i stated my opinon and if anybody wants to ask more industry related questions please send me a pm and i will do it privately.

Last edited by mummra100769; 07/11/2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07/11/2006, 08:52 PM
Waste Management

And the name of your store is........? I want one of those squams.
Old 07/11/2006, 08:55 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
i don't like to talk shop on here... i stated my opinon and if anybody wants to ask more industry related questions please send me a pm and i will do it privately.
Old 07/11/2006, 09:07 PM
Waste Management

Quote:
ah man i wish we would have talked then i could have cleared this up...all holds must have my approval so when you see something that is NFS then 9 out of 10 times it is for a regular that has either purchased it and is coming back for it or wanted to put it on hold for a couple of days...we get this alot, people thinking that all the good stuff is going to the employees but if you are there monday morn then you can score some really sweet stuff.

Sorry I saw this whole paragraph of shop talk & figured you woulden't mind providing a name.
Old 07/11/2006, 09:21 PM
why can't i love???

that is really farther than i want to go on the boards but i was being called out so i felt like i had to defend myself.lol
Old 07/11/2006, 09:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
well it was three at one time...then a fourth a couple of weeks later.
thats right and two of them are on this board. pm me and i will give you the names. i do not want to publicly. they were around $70.00 if i remember correctly.

plus you live in the bay area so you could make it down if you wanted to.lol
Please, pretty please. can i have the name of the that LFS you are working at so i can camp outside when those true blue sqam's come in. they run for only $70.00, man that's cheaper then what the importer/wholesaler charge.
Old 07/11/2006, 10:23 PM
why can't i love???

you are trying to bait me into an argument and it will not work. just pm me if you have any other questions.

remember this is just the internet and i have no beef with anybody here.
Old 07/11/2006, 11:09 PM
Pappone Nerd

Did you ever get aroung to posting a FTS? I want to see if your war coral has the blue/gray marbling pattern. Few people know that is the defining point of the coral.
Old 07/12/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

i along with all other employees must...must wait one full week before we can purcahse items.sometimes our set ups are so full with corals that the good stuff gets over looked....i would like to state that i have had sps stay in our systems for more than 6 months before they sold and triple in size...i am sorry we did not clear any of this up when you were in the store as we would have loved to do so.

Oh, so you are the store. Umm, I have been there on a Monday morning and have seen the staff and overheard them personally cherry pick. Also, if LE quality corals show up all the time in your store, then why don't more people from the Fresno area post pics. You seem to be the only one.

I have asked your staff on several occassions. They all tell me the same thing. The manager is taking it home to his personal tank. If the manager really cared for his customers, he would hold the coral and frag it up among many customers so as to not play favorites.

Your tanks are indeed packed. Too packed IMO. The corals are stinging each other. I realize that in order to get the nice stuff, you need to tranship huge amount. Of course that brings up the whole ethical debate of less wasted life through captive bred sales. Let's not stray too far though.

Your tanks aren't that full that your nice corals will be missed. Trust me. I'm a Nor Cal coral hag. I have also seen some of the pics you posted in your store with NFS written in front of it.

I have respect for your taste in corals and your store. Your employees treat me well, and the prices are fair (on livestock). Still, I feel strongly about the following issues:

You are misrepresenting on this issue of "Holds"

You are downplaying the captive bred issues.

Most importantly, you are a vendor (posing as a normally hobbyist) that is slamming another specific vendor in a public place.

Isn't that against some unwritten code?
Old 07/12/2006, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jero1
I can only speak from my experience...I have had some of my corals become Le's because I called Steve. I offered frags and still have the colonies.I am also on many of his waiting list and can vouch for recieving mass emails of le's that someone has cancled at first come first serve.Most of the time I do not buy from this list simple because I have obtained them already from people that have recieved them and grown them out.many people on the list obtain them from others also,so if nobody jumps on the canceled corals why now sell them in other venues.Most of the time it's the ones supplying the frags to steve in hopes that it will hit big so that they make the money( since They still have they colonies) So if anybody is shady it's the hobbiest! Steve won't know about you and your corals unless YOU contact him.Then he asks " how much do you sell frags for" ...setting a market value.So to all that think he's scamming everyone try looking at the whole picture and you might be surprised to find it's YOUR fellow hobbiest!
This is the same story that every Reeffarmers tells me.
Old 07/12/2006, 01:33 AM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by Imhotep, Imhotep
Oh, so you are the store. Umm, I have been there on a Monday morning and have seen the staff and overheard them personally cherry pick. Also, if LE quality corals show up all the time in your store, then why don't more people from the Fresno area post pics. You seem to be the only one.

I have asked your staff on several occassions. They all tell me the same thing. The manager is taking it home to his personal tank. If the manager really cared for his customers, he would hold the coral and frag it up among many customers so as to not play favorites.

Your tanks are indeed packed. Too packed IMO. The corals are stinging each other. I realize that in order to get the nice stuff, you need to tranship huge amount. Of course that brings up the whole ethical debate of less wasted life through captive bred sales. Let's not stray too far though.

Your tanks aren't that full that your nice corals will be missed. Trust me. I'm a Nor Cal coral hag. I have also seen some of the pics you posted in your store with NFS written in front of it.

I have respect for your taste in corals and your store. Your employees treat me well, and the prices are fair (on livestock). Still, I feel strongly about the following issues:

You are misrepresenting on this issue of "Holds"

You are downplaying the captive bred issues.

Most importantly, you are a vendor (posing as a normally hobbyist) that is slamming another specific vendor in a public place.

Isn't that against some unwritten code?
well i can not tell you anything but what i know to be the truth.

i never hide the fact that i work and manage a LFS...i do not like to bring that up on the boards for 2 reasons 1:my opinions are my own and separate from my feelings and beliefs i have as a retailer.2: i would rather not get swarmed by pms asking me to sell corals. you imply i am in some way being shady about my activities...but you are wrong.

you asked about people posting pics. it seems that only a few RC members from this area ever post pics. those that do could show some mighty sweet stuff they have scored from this area. i am truly prolific when it comes to posting pics thats for sure.

like i said if you want to talk shop pm or just call the store i will be more than happy to clear up your misconceptions.

you are making assumptions and i have never spoke to you and never have you talked to me about these issues...i think you are just misinformed or just caught us on bad days...i don't know. maybe you could pm me some dates of you visits and how often because we know every body pretty well and i would like to know how well we know you.

i will point out that this area does not support rare corals as only a select few people even know what they are and never do i have but just a few people know what these corals are going for online. there is really no market here for the super rare. i hear this all the time. i can get that at the whole salers...or why is that one more than this one? most people around here are happy with the bread and butter..which we are more than happy to sell to them. but this is more shop talk and if you really have concerns then i suggest we take this to pm so i can clear this up for you.

all things aside this kind of debate sure does offer a lot of entertainment...would you agree? it just proves that we are a very diverse group of people and that our passions run deep. i think it also proves that some of us like to debate a little to much (me included).

we should start a whole new thread just to keep this going ( i am just kidding).lol

personally i would still be mad if i had to wait for something (anything) and then find out some one who just so happen to be in the right place at the right time scored it instead of me. if this is not the case cool...but i would be mad if it did go down like that.

Last edited by mummra100769; 07/12/2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07/12/2006, 01:55 AM
why can't i love???

ok i stayed up late for this

i do not think i have anything to prove but i did say i would post pics.

the first two are from the dual 40 gallons i just set up. pretty sweet but still very new.

i do not see the marble patterns on the faviites so i did call that one wrong. it's still one of my favorites (one of three that came in).

and the 37 gallon mix.more polished as it was well established when these pics were taken.

i do not have any shots of the prop tank...i might have some shots of zoatopia but we were not really talking about zoas so.
Old 07/12/2006, 05:24 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Boy you guys get off topic quick here,lol. Mummra, you have some nice stuff. I was waiting for your second set of pics. Would like closeups of the lps at the bottom here. Is this your tank.
Old 07/12/2006, 09:58 AM
why can't i love???

what..of the 37? this tank was taken down but i do have close ups (like i said before i am very prolific when it comes to pics).

instead of posting here why don't i email them or just pm them to you.