Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

imnotsure, i can't be sure without seeing it inperson and looking at the skeleton but i looks like G. burgosi. I do well with those. They are very eager feeders.
Old 10/09/2005, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

As far as phytoplankton, only one kind showed a reaction which was an unusual green G. burgosi. People who do get there coral to eat Phytoplankton say they just spit it back up. However it would be of a benefit to zooplankton population in the tank which your corals would then eat.
Old 10/11/2005, 04:23 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Here are some updated pics of my Goniopora. Tentacle extension is about 1" to 1 1/4" now. I cant show it in the pic, but it has already begun to overgrow the rock it was on and any small dead areas that were on it, as well. So far, I am very pleased with it and hope it continues to do this well in the future. Any positive IDs from photo now?

Old 10/12/2005, 10:18 PM
Member Registered

I have had a red Goni stutchberyi (sp) for over two years now. It has encrusted like crazy and I have sold at least 10 frags of it. Most of the frags have done fine. I'm not sure what I attribute my success with this one to. I do feed a lot to my tank though. Lots of cyclops, daphnia, rotifers, mysis, brine, oyster eggs, etc... I usually feed at least three times a day. The colony is in a weird place. Half of it is getting a ton of light from 400 watt XM 20,000K bulbs and the other half is totally shaded under a rock ledge. I think Goni survival is mostly based on shipping conditions and feeding.
Old 10/12/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, I hope you end up w/a long lived goni. Keep the pics coming, keep us updated. I know you think it's too early to celebrate, but I'm not a patient person so I'm celebrating for you
Old 10/13/2005, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I am considering getting a goni. How do you feed cyclopeze? Everytime I put it in my tank, the flow carries it away. Do I have too much flow? I think I'll stick to sps right now, but I wonder how you guys feed these corals and not have it carried away. Sorry for the dumb question. I guess you can tell I'm a newbie.
Old 10/13/2005, 07:43 AM
Psuedo Member

Jana-
Turn off the power heads and use a turkey baster to target feed the coral. There are many different type of goni...many have differing environmental conditions. Read JCs article and see if there is a specific species that would thrive in your tanks conditions. Good luck!

Amp-
I recently picked up a frag of that exact coral from JC at fin/feathers. Its taking some time to aclimate to my system but ive noticed that over the last few days the polyps are starting to extend. Its a beautiful coral and Im very happy to hear that your frag is doing well and looking great.
Old 10/13/2005, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Janakay, cyclopeze on its own has the tendency to "bounce off" corals for whatever reason. Jen and Kerry are doing great with Liquid Life with cyclop-eeze. Something about the liquid life form makes it stick to the coral. I highly recommend oyster eggs and frozen rotifers also.

I find G. stutchburyi to be quite hardy when shipped correctly. Imagine an encrusting Porites with 24 tentacles, that would be G. stutchburyi and we all can keep Porites alive.
Old 10/13/2005, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Al G blenny good work with the fragging. Now if more people would share their other long term colonies then we could have many established captive strains of Goniopora. I have fragged over 12 species successfuly. Please, please share your long term GOniopora.
Old 10/23/2005, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone had success/experience with the purple color variety? I recently saw one for the first time, and was considering getting it.
Old 10/23/2005, 11:00 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

i love goni's and alveo's.
Old 10/23/2005, 02:29 PM
Go Sooners!

Me too
Old 10/23/2005, 03:07 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by podeater
Has anyone had success/experience with the purple color variety? I recently saw one for the first time, and was considering getting it.
I have mine in a moderate-to-low water flow area. The polyps on my species are fairly long, but the tentacles are shorter and the mouths are smaller. The water flow it sits in makes it's polyps sway back and forth about 1/2 inch; it also makes it easier to feed. I mostly feed mine mashed frozen cyclopeeze.
HTH
Old 10/23/2005, 04:07 PM
Go Sooners!

Here's a few pics of our purple goni:

Old 10/24/2005, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
Here's a few pics of our purple goni:

Wow. Beautiful!
Old 10/24/2005, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know of a good online source for the red goniopora?
I think it's stuchberi. sp? I have read that it does better than the green/yellow varieties in a metal halide/poor nutrient tank.

Of course I'm going to feed it and I think I have a shady area. I would like to try one. Does anyone know where I could get one? I haven't seen any in my local LFS stores.

Jana
Old 10/25/2005, 11:49 AM
I have wet shirt sleeves

janakaybravo,

I got mine pictured above from www.phishybusiness.com

Norm
Old 10/27/2005, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

janakaybravo i would recommend a med to high light location for G. stutchburyi. Think of it like a Porites.
Old 10/27/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

podeater most purples nowadays are G. tenuidens. They have rounder tentacle tips and often don't extend much when first imported. They perfer lower flow, med to high light, and food, food, food. Cyclop-eeze works great with these guys. Liquid Life form realy sticks to them, or thaw out frozen cyclop-eeze but don't strain it or water it down and then direct feed that.