Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

recommended pumps for chillers

What do you guys think for a 60gallon tank and a 1/10hp chiller? External/Internal? as cheap as a MJ1200 to as expensive as an external pump?
Old 12/25/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

i would go with a mag 5 or small ehiem. something around 500-800 gph i guess.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

what kind of return pump do you have? Since your chiller doesn't need alot of flow you can tee off and line to the chiller. Add an internal pump to your sum only add more heat and therefore your chiller will have to work more and cost more to run.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

I run a 1/10 on my 100 with 2X 250 MH, and it works like a champ, rarely runs. I use a rio 1700 or my return 642 gph, 418GPH @ 3' of head @ 32 watts (return pumps can be a bigger source of heat in a tank than halide) $35 anyway super efficient, nothing gets even close to it for in tank flow, I use a korelia 3 and a few 6045s at ~ 9 watts each, cut's way down on heat
Old 12/25/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ycnibrc
what kind of return pump do you have? Since your chiller doesn't need alot of flow you can tee off and line to the chiller. Add an internal pump to your sum only add more heat and therefore your chiller will have to work more and cost more to run.
HRM...very interesting point here. I have two ViaAqua Powerhead VA2600 returns rated as follows:

Dimensions: L 7" x W 3" x H 3-5/8"
Minimum Flow: 34 GPH
Maximum Flow: 740 GPH

So instead of pumping into the tank it can pump into the chiller and that water can in turn get returned back into the tank...nice way of saving on a pump and extra heat....

Think this pump is sufficient?

Also do you think there are any problems w/ the water from one side of the return being cooler vs the other one being of regular temperature? Returning water to the tank vs through the sump?

Last edited by kusanagiz; 12/25/2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

yea, i actually used that pump for a while. it worked fine but is not as efficient as the Rio, IIRC it used more watts and gave less flow. the water coming out is only slightly cooler and mixes quickly.

in the graph below, you can see where early on the morning of July 5, my velocity T-4 external pump failed, it used around 140 watts and was replaced with my Rio 1700

that event is circled in blue. in red you can see how my temp dipped every night since then down to 78.5, circled in red (where the heater kicks in) on the far left you can see where i bumped the tank up 1/2 degree to try to save money, other than that, the trend is clear, the chiller was on and off all night long, that is why the temp was always above the set-point,

remember this, a watt is a watt is a watt, 100 watts of "pump heat" is almost exactly the same as taking a 100 watt heater and cranking it up all the way in your tank

Last edited by five.five-six; 12/26/2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

i am using a maxi-jet 1200 that i just picked up for my 1/10 chiller. works great... i have it running in my 28g jbj hqi tank. i really don't think these put out any more heat into this tank than what my stock pumps are running. i was told that if i ran anything with more flow, the water shooting through my chiller wouldn't cool as easily since the water would be passing too fast. kinda makes sense. just my opinion though. but like i said, it is working great on my system without breaking the bank. i think marine depot has them for under $20. good luck!
Old 12/26/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

johng723 has 2 maxijet 1200 for $10 each. might be worth it to pick em up. can't really go wrong with that. check out his thread.