Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2005, 05:54 PM
Ocean God

Quote:
Originally posted by anthworks
Your not buying a cheaper well built tank because he told that guy to build his own??
Nope...I'm not necessarily buying a cheaper tank...just not HIS.
Old 04/30/2005, 07:23 PM
New Hope

You can see mine and other comments here.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...71#post4855571
Old 08/06/2005, 01:57 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by Alarmguy66

I wouldnt want to deal with you people either, especially if I didnt have to, which, ironically, he doesnt.

Interesting........ Sounds like you and Tom share many views and have much in common.....

These days good customer service and respect to your customers is a prerequisite for companies to stay in business.......

Interesting...........
Old 08/06/2005, 03:08 PM
New Hope

Wish that was true (Wal-Mart and Krogers come to mind), but now days people do not stand up for themselves.
Old 08/07/2005, 01:47 AM
See if you can pingaso it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by foob
[B]I own one. I have posted before how bad their work was.

Basically deep scratches were covered with plastic so when I picked it up I could not inspect completely. I left the plastic on because I wanted it protected until I reached my home. When they purposely hide such flaws how can I still trust them?
QUOTE]

I had the same problem with the tank i purchased from him.
Old 08/07/2005, 02:21 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Like my dad told me: "son, be nice to people; it don't cost nothing." - Sparky Anderson
Old 08/07/2005, 04:36 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

I probably paid twice the price for my tank, but I think in the process I purchased a little bit of piece of mind. At the time GC was not using and 3/4" low iron glass, and that limited them considerably upon the type of constuction they could do for large tanks (required much more cross tank bracing because only had 1/2" low iron). My tank was 8'x3'by 30" high.

I went with Aquariums for You in NJ. Customer service there was also slightly questionable, but their garantee was for many years (was it 9? cannot remember).
Old 08/07/2005, 07:03 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

I have seen their work first hand on a tank purchased by a buddy. I won't be using them based on the poor and sloppy workmanship. I have seen better workmanship by DIY armatures. JMO based on what I witnessed first hand.

Join the New Revolution: Howard 100 & 101

Hey, detritus happens.
Old 08/16/2005, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Here's some help for some of you who apparently are a little confused about this customer thing. You gripe because Tom doesn't kiss your thought process control center. That just tells me that you have never been there to see his operation. For those of us that are serious enough to take the time and trouble to visit his operation, the overall impression is excellent. Not only did I meet Tom, I saw his facility with him being the tour guide. I also met his wife and several of the folks that work for them. Why? Because I was interested enough in where my money is going to check things out first hand. While there the phone rang countless times and was answered repeatedly by Tom and his wife, etc; Most of these calls were from "tire kickers". GC is very busy and has a decent backlog year round. If he were to deal with all the phone calls as some of you think should be the case, he would have to hire more help. Then his prices would have to go up and some of you would gripe about that. Tom is not new to this business as he was dealing with fish stuff in a large city up north years before some of you were born. He's been there and done that and has molded his business to HIS liking. If some of you won't buy his product because of a perceived "attitude" he probably doesn't want you for a customer anyway. If you are serious about all this , go see him. Will your negative comments in any board hurt him? I doubt it. I really doubt it.
Old 08/16/2005, 09:31 AM
Moved On

I would not buy from this guy because he makes THE ULGLIEST TANKS, I have ever seen. Just look at the pics on his site

http://glasscages.com/prodpics/240-6T.JPG
Old 08/16/2005, 09:34 AM
Moved On

Quote:
[iWill your negative comments in any board hurt him? I doubt it. I really doubt it. [/B]
It might not hurt him but it will discourage people from shopping there and that may prevent his "small buisness" from becoming a major manufacturer.
Old 08/16/2005, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

To know Tom is to understand that he has no interest in being a major manufacturer. He enjoys what he is doing because he is doing it the way he wants. Been there, done that. Good for him.
Old 08/16/2005, 10:44 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by king bubba
To know Tom is to understand that he has no interest in being a major manufacturer. He enjoys what he is doing because he is doing it the way he wants. Been there, done that. Good for him.
Yup he is taking bulk rate glass and jerrry riging it into a crappy looking tank. I sure he is making so much $$ selling crappy tanks it is no even funny. Like I said just look at the pics on HIS site. You would think the ones HE posts on his site are the "nicer" ones. I would be scared to see what you might actually get if you ordered something.
Old 08/16/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yourreeftank
Yup he is taking bulk rate glass and jerrry riging it into a crappy looking tank. I sure he is making so much $$ selling crappy tanks it is no even funny. Like I said just look at the pics on HIS site. You would think the ones HE posts on his site are the "nicer" ones. I would be scared to see what you might actually get if you ordered something.
Ya know, I wasn't gonna comment on this thread, but ya touched a nerve.
Get this through your skull: TOM (AND THE VAST MAJORITY OF HIS CUSTOMERS) DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK.
You don't like the man's merchandise (or him) SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE ON. You simply don't have to buy it.
It seems you have a personal vendetta against a man that has done nothing to harm you.
Now, grow up and move on.
Old 08/16/2005, 01:36 PM
Moved On

Actually I thought the oint of these forums was so we could share our opinions. WE are in AMERICA, welcome to the home of the Free. We all have a right to voice our opinions and if you don't like it "SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE ON".

It is not so nice once the script has been flipped on you.. HUH?
Maybe you should go tell everyone that had a Rio melt in their tank to "SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE ON".

Ohh and if Tom and the people at glasscages don't like it, they too can "SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE ON"
Old 08/16/2005, 02:00 PM
Monkey

Guys maybe both of you better shut it or you'll both be "moved on"
Old 08/16/2005, 02:04 PM
Moved On

Hey I got ripped for voiceing my opinion... Nothing more, some people just can't bear to hear things about companies they like and get very upset. I ,however, get very upset when I am told to keep my opinions to myself.
Old 08/16/2005, 02:26 PM
Monkey

Understood - but biting back is not the way to handle it.
Old 08/16/2005, 03:39 PM
RC Mod

This forum is for first hand experiences only.

Some folks might want to step away from the keyboard and cool down a bit so they don't further jeopardize their posting privileges on this private bulletin board.

Scott
RC Moderator
Old 08/16/2005, 03:55 PM
Moved On

No problem. I did go to see his tanks when he came to the area with a truckload. I went because he told me he would have some extras for sale. I personally seen the ULGY tanks with my own eyes. I looked at several tanks and could find nothing that I would put in my home.
Old 08/16/2005, 06:33 PM

yourreeftank:

I saw alot of his tanks when he brought them to the Orlando FIRE show a few months ago. All the tanks I saw looked very nice. I didn't see one tank that i would call ugly. I've also got a GC tank that is in my living room. It is not setup because I will be returing the setup to Tom. My biggest problem with his company was the way he handled a problem I had with his product. So I'm returing it.
Old 08/16/2005, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I have a 135g from him and it looks great!!!!!!!
Old 08/16/2005, 08:56 PM
RC Sponsor

Agreed I had a custom 48x30x13 made and it looks great and I would buy it again
Old 08/16/2005, 09:56 PM

48x30x13 ....those are interesting dimensions... you have any pics of the tank ?
Old 08/16/2005, 10:01 PM
RC Sponsor

sadly enough no as it is sitting in storage.... i had planned to setit up months ago but have been very delayed. hopefully i will have it done for my "winter project"