Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Lift system for canopy??

Alright I am currently working on my 90 gallon upgrade and have manage to make whole setup stand about 6.5 ft tall or more, however i am only 5'3. I have a step ladder and all of that but for ease of maintanence and getting into tank I was wondering if there is some kind of lift or pulley system I could attach the canopy to so that when I need to access tank I can just lift the canopy?? Hope someone can help me out, thanks!
Old 01/07/2008, 05:01 PM
Reefaholic

I know of several people on here that have used a bicycle pulley system for lifting their canopies. Here is an example:

Old 01/07/2008, 11:16 PM
Frag-a-holic

Sandman, do you have a link to that thing?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:38 PM
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
Sandman, do you have a link to that thing?
No i don't but if you do a google search for "bicycle pulley system" or similar you'll find alot of sellers. HTH.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:24 AM
Frag-a-holic

Yep, I did that right after I posted. Harbor freight actually has 1 for like $6! Thanks for the idea.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

That will not ensure an even lift.

You will want to use a single rope to go through the block and tackle setup and attach it to a spreader bar that then wraps over a single pulley (no mechanical advantage) to each corner of the hood. (I hope that makes sense).

You may also want to consider linear actuators. You can get them on ebay fairly cheap.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:54 AM
Brighter the better

if you tie the 2 ropes together at the pulling end they should act as one.
but linear actuators are cool to watch as they lift the hood!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

anybody with pictures of how they did this to their canopy??
Old 01/10/2008, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

I read up on the linear actuator but it seems to only lift it up a few inches, am i right? I'm also looking for something that can lift it 1-2ft in the air, but mine is for a light fixture rather than the entire canopy.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
I read up on the linear actuator but it seems to only lift it up a few inches, am i right? I'm also looking for something that can lift it 1-2ft in the air, but mine is for a light fixture rather than the entire canopy.
No they will go as high as you want within reason. Go here http://www.firgelliauto.com/ I used one to lift my lights on my last system and had it timed so it went up and down to create a dust and dawn effect. Nine went up about 2ft.

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Donw
No they will go as high as you want within reason. Go here http://www.firgelliauto.com/ I used one to lift my lights on my last system and had it timed so it went up and down to create a dust and dawn effect. Nine went up about 2ft.

Don
Thanks for the site. Doesn't seem to be a very compact solution though. I was looking at the one that can lift 12'' but at the rest position it is 18''. Is there such a thing as a reel that you can use a remote to unwind and such? Similar to the shades that you can lower and pull up via a remote. I guess i can use this and rig something up, but i was hoping to have something more elegant.

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...roducts_id=113
Old 01/10/2008, 02:47 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by jade2122
anybody with pictures of how they did this to their canopy??
I used the cable you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes that is nylon coated stainless steel. I attached a screw eye in each end and then ran the cables through a small pulley over to a central pulley and then down to a carabiner clip where I can pull it down and then I placed 2 screw eyes at the height that I wanted to be able to fasten it at. The lower one is where it is hooked when raised for maintenance and the upper one is for normal operation.

Here's a pic were you can almost see it all. Hope that helps.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:54 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Thanks for the site. Doesn't seem to be a very compact solution though. I was looking at the one that can lift 12'' but at the rest position it is 18''. Is there such a thing as a reel that you can use a remote to unwind and such? Similar to the shades that you can lower and pull up via a remote. I guess i can use this and rig something up, but i was hoping to have something more elegant.

If you use a cable system you can just run your cables through pulleys to a location that has space for a small winch. It would require a 12v adapter but you barely have any weight on it so I don't think you would have much of an amp draw. Here's one on Harbor Freight's site for $40. They also have one that is wireless remote controlled if you wanted to put your controls on the other side of the wall. You could always extend the wires on the wired remote and use some nicer looking buttons to operate it. These may also be too noisy for your tastes. I haven't tried any of them.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:59 AM
Reefaholic

Maybe you want something like this: http://www.viagrow.biz/lighthanger.html
Old 01/10/2008, 04:00 AM
Reefaholic

Or this: http://cheaphydroponics.com/cart/ind...d&productId=81
Old 01/10/2008, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Other than some sort of small winch system I cant think of one. The linear actuator is thin so it can go in your attic and be used to pull a cable. It can go behind your stand or even under the floor.

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

itZme: that's a good idea as well but i think it might be a little too noisy for my taste.

MrSandman: I like the first one you showed but doesn't look like it has the right size for me. The second one you showed me is actually what i have right now. I use it but man it is a pain to adjust since i have to go side to side to adjust it.

Donw: I see now. you can actually use it to pull as oppose to push up. For some reason in my head i was thinking of an implementation like a hydraulic lift. If i were to buy one that can do 24'', can i set it to stop at 19.5'' and would it draw anything at that in between state?

Thanks again guys.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Donw: I see now. you can actually use it to pull as oppose to push up. For some reason in my head i was thinking of an implementation like a hydraulic lift. If i were to buy one that can do 24'', can i set it to stop at 19.5'' and would it draw anything at that in between state?

Thanks again guys.
Yes, its just a screw. If you get one you can open it up take it apart and relocate the built in stop switches. Its not that hard, you will see what I mean if you get one. I had to move mine in about an inch so it would push my light through the ceiling.

The one I have now is in the attic 10 feet away and just pulls a cable through a couple of pullies since the tank is in a spot with no attic space, just the 8" between the two floors. I use the full 24" now.

Don

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I use the bicycle hoist in the first pic. It doesn't life evenly, but as long as you keep a hand on the top while you're lifting you can keep it level. After seeing the one with two cables, I may modify mine to include two as well.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Don: do you have a picture of your setup? i want to install something like that for my canopy too. what powersupply did you use for your 24"? I am thinking about uisng the 30" version to pull the canopy using a bicycle hoist mention above. I will install everything in the attic.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skype
Don: do you have a picture of your setup? i want to install something like that for my canopy too. what powersupply did you use for your 24"? I am thinking about uisng the 30" version to pull the canopy using a bicycle hoist mention above. I will install everything in the attic.
No I dont even own a camera at the moment. I use a 5a power supply that handles my whole automation system. A radio shack 1000ma will work fine. There is a pic of my old light lift here somewhere but I cant search. It used drawer tracks that pushed the lights up the wall behind a cabinet.

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

can someone explain to me how to make the bicycle lift work for a canopy to ensure a good lift. i really only need to life the canopy about 6 inches to get a good area to work with. doesn't need to be fancy at all.