Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Will this be safe enough????

Ok so I am in process of getting my 90 gallon ready which will be replacing my 65. My issue with the new tank is that it came with the standard all glass pine stand, which isn't very tall at all. What I want to do it lift the setup by about 12 inches so it is more eye level and don't have to bend down to look at my corals. Question is what is the best way to do this? Was thinking I could just make another base that is 12 inches tall and same footprint as stand. Will that be strong enough? Any pointers? Thanks a ton!
Old 12/31/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

IMO, if I were going to do this, I'd make a box that matched the footprint of the stand, make sure it's not wobbly, and that it's level. More than likely I'd feel safter using the same kind of plan used for making a full stand, with a ring of 2x4's on top and one on bottom, with 10" screw boards in every corner and 5" 2x4s supporting in between the two rings. Then just skin it w/ some ply or whatever to match and use 3/4 plywood on top of the box. That's just how I'd do it. Plus I'd somehow screw the stand to the box just for piece of mind.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks, good plan. any others?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

i was a house framer. now i'm a commerical building maintenance mechanic foreman. i would first consider if the floor can hold the weight of this tank once filled. if it goes on a concrete slab thats fine.

next, i would never put a tank stand on anything in order to raise to the desired height... i'd build a new stand. if you're not a qualified woodworker, i'd recommend you then buy a well made wood or steel stand. who can risk a collapse ?!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Building a framed box like in this thread would be more than adaquate to support a few hundred gallons of water, let alone 90+ stand:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...and+calculator

Jade, if you're worried about it, make the box a little bigger all the way around, it'd be like having it on your floor. Or you can use the thread above to help you build a new stand. The cost of 2x4's isn't much, and you can build it to whatever dimensions you want to accomodate your needs. If you have a crawl space/basement, if your tank rests on 2 or more floor joists, you should be plenty fine, especially if you're near a load bearing wall. Just make sure you do whatever you feel is in your comfort range.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:28 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

I think that a well re-enforced base will be fine but put MANY MANY cross braces, remember to not make it too tall unless you do not mind using a step stool to get to the tank!
Old 12/31/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

When you say "pine", are you referring to pine boards or pine 2x4's? Big difference. I wouldn't put a 90g tank on a stand made of pine boards designed for a 65g. There's a 300lb difference. The stand might fold like a house of cards.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

oh definately 2x4's. it is a strong stand..just short..i like the idea of putting it on something a little wider. ok, you guys have given me lots to think of. thanks!!
Old 12/31/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

If you're thinking about building a platform why not just build a new stand? and if you don't feel you have the skill to build the stand, for your own safety I wouldn't build the platform.

just my .02
Old 12/31/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

if i make the platform with the same technique as a new stand why would it not be strong enough? will have same exact structure and supports just shorter....
Old 12/31/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Personally I think the platform will be strong enough but it's a lot of wasted space and you all know how nice it would be to have a few square feet more plus I think having a platform will look like @$$
Old 12/31/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

with some skills a person could build a base that had a couple drawers in it....
Old 12/31/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I would think if you didnt want to build a totally new stand it would work to raise your stand, I would try to tie the two parts together and essentially make it one.. It should be safer that way. try to get the main vertical supports solid, and run all the way from the bottom of the tank to the floor.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

There is no reason you can't build a "safe" platform for your existing stand. You are getting a lot of very conservative advice, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

i know it is not the preferred method but really don't need to build another stand, waste of wood in my perfectly good stand. my only problem with it is the height. i am going to go ahead with my idea and just make it as solid as can be. thanks to everyone! once it is painted black like other stand you shouldn't even be able to tell
Old 12/31/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

I built a 6" platform in about 40 minutes with 2X6s and Johnson connectors in each corner ( I think that's what theyre called, got em at HD in the framing dept. ).

If you do it right you might be able to make that platform from one 2X12. ( 2X runners 3X cross braces )

I didnt even use a cover plate, I just set the 75 Gal stand right on top of the open frame. Just make sure you build it someplace flat.

Stu
Old 12/31/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

You could also use concrete blocks around the parimeter.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:28 PM
T5 Reefer

I helped a friend build a box with a bottom made out of 2x12s and 3/4" plywood under the entire thing to give him more room under his 210g AGA tank. I has no bracing inside other than thestrips we used to screw the existing stand to the box we built. Then we skinned it with oak to match the stand and used some small trim to make it look like it always belonged there. This 210g system has a Tunze wavebox and has never moved, not even one millimeter so those telling you to build it with stringers and crossbraces are doing so to be sure to cover all the bases but it is most definitely overkill in your situation. I would just use 2x12 on edge around the perimeter and it would almost raise your tank right up where you would like it.