Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2005, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Lawn mowing Blenny HELP PLEASE!!!!

My blenny seems very pale compared to what he normally looks like. I've noticed this for the past 2 days. We've had him for over 2 weeks, and up until now he's been fine and eating a ton! I think he is stressed but I'm not sure. We moved around the rock in the tank (38g) 2 days ago and have been messing with the bubble filtration. These are the final tests.

pH 7.8 and I know it is low but it's been like this since we've had him and if he doesn't improve I'm gonna go buy the chemical to improve it.

Ammonia is .25 and it is higher than normal but we just fed them, a little more than we have been feeding them hoping to see if he eats the shrimp but he hasn't.

Nitrate and Nitrite are at 0 right now....please help me...oh yeah and his breathing is normal so this is the real factor as to why i am confused...thanks

10g with a blue demsal (thinking of cleaning it out, giving the demsal away, and using it as a hospital tank)
Old 09/10/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

mine changes colors sometimes too. Sometimes it's light grey, and others its all black, but he's doing fine, still eating algae like crazy and very active. I think they're just like that
Old 09/10/2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I don't think changing color itself is a bad indication. As mentioned above, they can change color - mine used to turn white when it was on the sand and be dark gray when it was on the rocks.

Not eating is a sign that the LMB isn't doing well. So if he's eating well and acting normal (aside from the color change), I think he'll be fine.

However, your ammonia shouldn't be that high. If you had good filtration and bacteria working for you, your nitrate level would be up if you overfeed not your ammonia. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 in a cycled tank with good filtration. How long did you wait to add the fish from when you set up the tank? I am wondering if it isn't cycled yet or maybe the filtration isn't working. That could definitely be cause for stress to a fish.
Old 09/10/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

We waited a good month before we added him. The fish store we shop at know us well for we are always in there....They tell us when our water is safe and when it isn't...The color is slowly returning. I think he's stressed about the movement of what we have been doing. I'm gonna check the Ammonia sometime tomorrow. He's breathing well, but he hasn't moved from where he is purched for over an hour now...Right now since he is breathing right, I'm not too concerned but when his breathing gets wacked out that is when I think I will get VERY concerned...he's my salt water baby to tell you guys the truth

10g with a blue demsal (thinking of cleaning it out, giving the demsal away, and using it as a hospital tank)
Old 09/10/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure lawnmower blennys are herbavores so they wouldn't eat the shrimp. And as long as you KNOW FOR SURE that your fish store is honest all the time, then I wouldn't trust them, they're all after money! lol
Old 09/11/2005, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I am positive my fish store is honest. Blenny is still breathing just fine, color is still pale. He isn't eating much...anyone know whether or not he is stressed from all the movement in the tank or what? We also don't have a skimmer yet but we have one on the way...could this cause him to look funny after 2-3 weeks? It is ordered and on the way so just to let everyone know...thanks

Old 09/11/2005, 04:26 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

My LMBs eats mysis, cyclopeeze and herbivore food. I have 3 and they do change colors. They like hiding places to dive into when they get spooked, so maybe when you rearranged the rock you closed off his hidey hole? If feeding problems continue, you might try some mysis shrimp mixed with a bit of garlic...mine eats it right out of the feeding tube. GL, hope all works out. Marcye
Old 09/11/2005, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

I just got one today actulley. He has changed colors lots of time. When I added him after acclimating him from teh white bucket into my tank he was very pale white, but after being on the rocks for a while he darkened up very quickly and within 5 minutes of being in the tank he is cruising around eating my hair algae, this weird cup algae, and this leafy algae.
Old 09/11/2005, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

I came home about an hour ago and his front end was changing again. to more normal which is good. thanks for everything...maybe he will do better.....It'll make me feel better too!!!!

Old 09/12/2005, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

he's eating like crazy again and his color is back to almost normal....i think he was stressed and we did close up one of his favorite places to hide...i looked today. thanks 4 everything guys