Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/02/2005, 02:32 PM
Guardian of Little People

Speedos? Please speedon't.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...eedo-ban_x.htm

Interesting article When I was on vacation, the boys and I were down at Waikiki Beach, and we walked by an area frequented by speedo fans. There were about a hundred speedo-wearing fat old men, and it was all I could do to keep us from being shot or attacked as the boys continually burst out laughing. I would tell them to knock it off, and they would say "they don't know why we are laughing". Right. Like it is any mystery.

New Jersey beach town repeals ban on Speedos

CAPE MAY, N.J. (AP) — Come on in, Speedo wearers, the water's fine: Your skimpy little swimsuits are legal now.
For more than 30 years, this quaint little Victorian-themed resort at the southern tip of New Jersey said no to "skintight, formfitting or bikini type" bathing attire on males over the age of 12.

For an ocean resort that once required men and women to swim at different times of day, wearing heavy woolen, cover-everything swimsuits, it made sense to modernize.

"It's a beach town, for God's sake," said Police Chief Diane Sorantino. The town also agreed to lift a rule that stopped bare-chested men from strolling along the beachfront promenade.

Not that everyone's cheering. It's often the older guys — the ones with beer guts, or wrinkly skin, or unsightly tufts of hair — who wear the tiny swimsuits.

"The people you want to see in the Speedos, you don't," said Maggie Creighton, 19, who works in a downtown lingerie store.

Locals who share the beaches with tourists said that despite the ban, the itsy bitsy suits have been a common sight in summer, even though most surf shops and beachwear retailers here don't sell them.

"A lot of people do come in and say 'Do you carry Speedos?' said Becky Fitzgerald, sales clerk at Della's General Store. "It's the 40- to 50-year-old group who ask. And it's funny, their bodies aren't the shape for Speedos."

The swimsuit ban was enacted in the 1960s in response to complaints about gay men who wore the suits on the beach, according to former mayor Robert Elwell, who writes a Cape May history column for a local newspaper.

But the ban was rarely if ever enforced, according to the city, which voted to amend its beach regulations last week.

City Administrator Luciano Corea Jr. said the skimpy swimsuit ban was largely unknown. There was no push to eliminate it, but doing so made sense, he said.

"We had no complaints, and we've never issued a summons for it, to my knowledge," said Corea. "Technically, we could've left it on the books. It was never enforced anyway."

Vince Grimm, executive director of GABLES of Cape May County, a gay advocacy organization, said the ban was outdated and holds no particular significance for gays.

"We're no different than anyone else. If they (the suits) are in style, we wear them," said Grimm.

Charlotte Beheler, owner of Sports 'n Stuff, which sells Speedos for $25.95, said they're not among her top sellers.

She doesn't expect any big boom in sales this summer — or an explosion of skin on the beaches. Neither does Speedo, which says the men's brief-style suits make up only 1% of the Los Angeles-based company's sales.

"I could see that people may buy more, but I don't think it'll be a huge dramatic change," said Speedo marketing manager Lesley Benko.

Still, some people will be watching the beaches this year just to see who's wearing what.

"I haven't been to the beach in years, but now I'm thinking I'll go down there this year," said Joann Quinn, of North Cape May. "The beach ought to be interesting this year."

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 05/02/2005, 02:38 PM
Sponsor

Brian,

You forgot to copy the last lines:

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 05/02/2005, 02:40 PM
Guardian of Little People

Habib, I am going to find out if I can ban another staff member. Say your prayers.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 05/02/2005, 02:41 PM
Moved In

LOL, some people should know what makes them look rediculous. I would'nt be caught dead outside my house with sweats on.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 05/02/2005, 03:03 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I would'nt be caught dead outside my house with sweats on.
You go out nude!?!!

Kevin
Old 05/02/2005, 03:04 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
You go out nude!?!!

Kevin
Probably look better than sweats! Well maybe not.

Old 05/02/2005, 03:59 PM
no pig 2 big

said no to "skintight, formfitting or bikini type" bathing attire on males over the age of 12.

Sounds like a place MJ would like to visit!
Old 05/02/2005, 04:17 PM
in the bathtub

AHEM!

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 05/02/2005, 04:31 PM
Rubberman

I think sweets are the required uniform for walmart shoppers in our city.
Speedo's are a good reason not to go to the public pools and spas in Palm Springs.
SteveU
Old 05/02/2005, 04:43 PM
cubed

People wear sweets? I usually eat them.
Old 05/02/2005, 04:59 PM
Moved In

Me too!

Old 05/02/2005, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
LOL, some people should know what makes them look rediculous. I would'nt be caught dead outside my house with sweats on.
Debi,
Do I get a pardon if I am at the bus stop on my way to a run or the gym? Pretty please??????
-Molly

Old 05/02/2005, 05:34 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by ACKBlues
Debi,
Do I get a pardon if I am at the bus stop on my way to a run or the gym? Pretty please??????
-Molly

LOL, I'm talking about overweight people like myself wearing them shopping, etc, they're not flattering to heavy people. While I wear them at home, even I try to never pass the mirror!

Old 05/02/2005, 05:44 PM
Rubberman

Just because my "A" finger is lazy, don't make fun of my "E" finger.... it's mean.

SteveU
Old 05/02/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Phew.....

Speedos are for well built men who swim A LOT. And then it is only for the pool and they are completely shaved or wearing a swim cap. Deep breath.

BTW, as a young bride, I ventured on to a red sand beach in Hawaii, and was visually accosted by a LARGE, HAIRY, NUDE MAN striding across the beach to go for a swim.

A speedo whould have been appreciated in that instance.

blech!

Old 05/02/2005, 05:50 PM
Rubberman

Not your husband I presume.
SteveU
Old 05/02/2005, 05:51 PM
Moved In

Some clothes are just not appropriate for some people! Poor baby, were you scarred for life?

Old 05/02/2005, 07:30 PM
Medieval French Monkey

Quote:
Phew.....

Speedos are for well built men who swim A LOT. And then it is only for the pool and they are completely shaved or wearing a swim cap. Deep breath.
Amen sister!!!! I LOVE the speedo...on the right person. As Debi says, you have to know what works for you.

I'm reminded of my time combing the beaches in France where most women opt to go topless. While I found the whole experience traumatic (ok, not really, I don't care...I was focusing on the speedos), it's not as nice as you might imagine. Just picture some old Louis Vuitton leather luggage that have seen too many luggage carrousels. Not pretty.
Old 05/02/2005, 08:09 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Reminds me of something an old friend of mine (who was also a nudist) would say.....

"You don't have to spend much time at the nudist colony to realize most people look better with their clothes on."
Old 05/02/2005, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I just put on my trusty thong. Legal, and scandulous. I like the ones the the change holder in the front, the little pocket. People always wonder what I am doing when I diggin for a penny.

Theres an image for ya.

--Dan
Old 05/02/2005, 08:47 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

My girlfriend and I took her black lab to one of the beaches in Scripps Ranch, CA We were checking out the tidal pools and din't think much about it until we realized it was nude beach, frequented by all guys and they didn't appreciate being goosed by her lab! We laughed all the way home!

Again, Speedos would have been greatly appreciated that day!
Old 05/02/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I knew I shouldn't have clicked into this thread!
Old 05/02/2005, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Or to put it another way, "The only person who should wear a speedo should be swimming for a medal of some kind."
Old 05/02/2005, 10:32 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Unome
Or to put it another way, "The only person who should wear a speedo should be swimming for a medal of some kind."
That's a fair statement!

Old 05/02/2005, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Phew.....

BTW, as a young bride, I ventured on to a red sand beach in Hawaii, and was visually accosted by a LARGE, HAIRY, NUDE MAN striding across the beach to go for a swim.

A speedo whould have been appreciated in that instance.

blech!