Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 02/17/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I'm still confused. What causes them to spin backwards?
Old 02/17/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rufio173
If you want wider flow... stop butchering your tunze nano and get a hydor koralia.

Cheers,
John
if you don't mind 2x the size of a nanostream

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 02/17/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
if you don't mind 2x the size of a nanostream
If size is that big of an issue. In large tanks, I can't see the Nanostreams being much more aesthetically pleasing or space saving than the hydor koralias even at two times the length. I wouldn't say it is 2x the size. It's just longer, not really wider, so when you say 2x, I would be more specific and mention that it is really the length of the pump and a lot of that is due to the stem of the pump.

For the most part, I'm super pleased by both nanostream and hydor koralia. I was a little disappointed to find out that some user tests had only shown the tunze nanostream 6045 to yield roughly 930-950gph, which is far below their estimated gph via the manufacturer. I expect that the hydor koralias (at least the 4 is actually above the 1200gph rating that is stated by hydor, although harder to test due to its very dispersed flow vs. the steams).

The test seemed to be a decent one, but prone to user bias, as it depends on the person to pull up on the tub as it is emptied. Still, he did take like 9 measurements and averaged it all out. The test seems to be precise, although accuracy is always debatable.

Cheers,
John
Old 02/17/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

2x the length @ same body size...if the korallia is as small of body = 2x as big

You mean 'V' flow from Korallia and cone chaped of tunze products

And the 6025 is actually 730gph and not the reported 660gph, so one is stronger and one is weaker than reported.

*Oh, and i believe this is the tunze nano mod thread, not the korallia thread

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 02/17/2007, 11:35 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
If size is that big of an issue. In large tanks, I can't see the Nanostreams being much more aesthetically pleasing or space saving than the hydor koralias even at two times the length. I wouldn't say it is 2x the size. It's just longer, not really wider, so when you say 2x, I would be more specific and mention that it is really the length of the pump and a lot of that is due to the stem of the pump.

For the most part, I'm super pleased by both nanostream and hydor koralia. I was a little disappointed to find out that some user tests had only shown the tunze nanostream 6045 to yield roughly 930-950gph, which is far below their estimated gph via the manufacturer. I expect that the hydor koralias (at least the 4 is actually above the 1200gph rating that is stated by hydor, although harder to test due to its very dispersed flow vs. the steams).

The test seemed to be a decent one, but prone to user bias, as it depends on the person to pull up on the tub as it is emptied. Still, he did take like 9 measurements and averaged it all out. The test seems to be precise, although accuracy is always debatable.

Cheers,
John
the people who bother with these pumps in a large tank are wasting their time
Old 02/17/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

But I love koralias and I want to spread the love!!!

Tunze nanostreams are good too (I have both), but koralias still provide best bang for the buck IMO in a well thought out package....

As for the V shaped flow. I personally haven't experienced this problem and honestly, let's think about this logically, how is a prop going to produce V shaped flow spinning at thousands of rpms? Those crazy kids at Hydor must have discovered ways to bend the law of physics.

I think it's completely ridiculous, however I guess crazier things have happened You think that if this were the case, everyone would be having this problem, but only very few have reported this and I think it is based on the other flow in the tank or just misperceptions. It could be a manufacturing defect in their props, but it's really hard for me to swallow that a normally functioning one would cause this effect.

In short tanks I would go with hydors over the nanostreams due to the much, much better dispersed flow. In long tanks, either would be a good choice.

I just wanted to state that instead of continuing to further alter your pump and void the warranty, then maybe you should think of other pumps that would deliver the kind of flow that you wanted at a lower price. Not a stab at Tunze, but more of a call for reason... however, what respectable DIYer would listen to reason. Hahahaha.

Mod on brothers and let us all know what the next mod yields.

Peace,
John
Old 02/17/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

I must admit even the Tunze nano is too large for my taste, but it is the smallest so I will have to settle with that.

The 6025 mod reported to produce 200gph more flow, which basically makes it a 6045. The mod is only a five minute job so not that bad. The mod only void the warranty on the cover which is a $10 part. The rest two-year warranty stands. And of course there is this unparalleled Tunze customer service reputation.

Take all the above into consideration the Tunze is in fact a great deal, the 6025 at least.
Old 02/17/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by victor_c3
I was not aware of these powerheads having this "reverse spin" problem.

If this problem is as widespread as it sounds, how would you use them with a wavemaker?

Do other pumps have this problem?
My two 6025s still starts in reverse 75% of the time so I can not put them on a wavetimer.

One unintended benefit is when the pump is in reverse, it self-cleans so I do that on purpose, turn the pumps on and off once a while to wash away the junk accumulated on the screen.

BTW, you don't have to put the hand in front of the pump to correct it, just turn it on and off a few times you will get the right flow.
Old 02/17/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
I must admit even the Tunze nano is too large for my taste, but it is the smallest so I will have to settle with that.

The 6025 mod reported to produce 200gph more flow, which basically makes it a 6045. The mod is only a five minute job so not that bad. The mod only void the warranty on the cover which is a $10 part. The rest two-year warranty stands. And of course there is this unparalleled Tunze customer service reputation.

Take all the above into consideration the Tunze is in fact a great deal, the 6025 at least.
I totally disagree with your statement... I wouldn't mention to the customer service rep that you did the mod since that does affect the performance of the pump. After all, it wasn't DESIGNED to push 1000+ gph. The engineers designed it to push only 660-730gph.

It's like this, you can take the radiator fan off of your car and run your engine. It won't run long that way and you'll do a lot of damage to your car. I don't think you could then put the fan back on and say that you didn't void the warranty by doing that. It's the same with this product. Another good analogy is overclocking/overdriving CPUs on your computer or graphics cards. By messing around with the setting and not adequately placing better cooling measure in place, you basically are screwed if the thing breaks. Whether you confess this to the manufacturer is up to you... but what you did is you voided the warranty once you started trying to modify the original design.

So, if you mod it and break it, I would buy a new face screen and then report it as broken without mentioning the mod. It's dishonest, but hey at least you didn't "void" the warranty.

Peace,
John
Old 02/17/2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I totally disagree with your statement... I wouldn't mention to the customer service rep that you did the mod since that does affect the performance of the pump. After all, it wasn't DESIGNED to push 1000+ gph. The engineers designed it to push only 660-730gph.

It's like this, you can take the radiator fan off of your car and run your engine. It won't run long that way and you'll do a lot of damage to your car. I don't think you could then put the fan back on and say that you didn't void the warranty by doing that. It's the same with this product. Another good analogy is overclocking/overdriving CPUs on your computer or graphics cards. By messing around with the setting and not adequately placing better cooling measure in place, you basically are screwed if the thing breaks. Whether you confess this to the manufacturer is up to you... but what you did is you voided the warranty once you started trying to modify the original design.

So, if you mod it and break it, I would buy a new face screen and then report it as broken without mentioning the mod. It's dishonest, but hey at least you didn't "void" the warranty.

Peace,
John
Except Roger at Tunze already confirmed the only warranty voided on this mod would be the screen. Wonder why I called it good service.

As far as intended use as designed, my feeling is there is little if any difference in the drive units between a 6025 and a 6045. In fact Roger described the differences between the two, the only visible differences are a shorter inside tube (which the mod on the 6025 would achieve) and a tap to stop the propeller and correct the flow.

In another word the 6025 is a 6045 with flow restricted so it can be used in a nano tank. Also a 6045 may have some other minor enhancement to justify the extra $30.
Old 02/17/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

That's really nice of Roger. That is certainly very good CS.

That's interesting to know about the 6045. If only the mod would reliably turn in the right direction every time it came on.

I certainly plan on doing the mod, voided warranty or not, but I'm glad that the only thing that will happen is I'd need to replace the screen.

Thanks for the info.!

Cheers,
John
Old 02/17/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Wow what an amazing thread. I will receive my 6045 next weeka nd just feel silly about it now. I would have much preffered the extra cash and done the mod. Then I could have bought a spare front cover and basically had an adjustable pump.

My question is, since the 6045 has a less restriced intake to begin with, I assume this mod will not work on it? That would be too bad since it is such an underperfomer anyways.
FB
Old 02/17/2007, 11:37 PM
Moved On

ya know... It wouldn't take that much to add a stopper to that so that the prop would the spin correctly each time.
Old 02/18/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Ok......Back to the mod......Should i drill holes or just hack the plastic?
Old 02/18/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
ya know... It wouldn't take that much to add a stopper to that so that the prop would the spin correctly each time.

You are correct sir...

Old 02/18/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I haven't noticed the need to add a stopper. From what I can tell the tube narrows toward the discharge end to create friction on the impeller to correct it if it spins the wrong way (which causes the impeller to go away from the motor). The mod cuts away the near side of the tube but leaves the far side intact to still perform the original functionality.
Old 02/18/2007, 12:02 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

mines been running without a stopper the whole time, 90% of the time it starts up the right way, probably 9% of the time it clicks and spins the wrong way, but corrects itself within 2 seconds, and 1%(1 time only) it didnt start at all, which was because i needed to be cleaned, i rinsed off the impellar and it started right up the right way

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 02/18/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Hmm...
Putting a 6045's propeller housing on a 6025 will convert it to a 6045?

"In fact Roger described the differences between the two, the only visible differences are a shorter inside tube (which the mod on the 6025 would achieve) and a tap to stop the propeller and correct the flow."

You can buy the 6045 propeller housing on the tunze site... Any ideas why I shouldn't try this? Are the two nano-streams different sizes or anything?

-P
Old 02/18/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by p-deezy
Hmm...
Putting a 6045's propeller housing on a 6025 will convert it to a 6045?

"In fact Roger described the differences between the two, the only visible differences are a shorter inside tube (which the mod on the 6025 would achieve) and a tap to stop the propeller and correct the flow."

You can buy the 6045 propeller housing on the tunze site... Any ideas why I shouldn't try this? Are the two nano-streams different sizes or anything?

-P
Are you talking about the front half of the pump cover for the 6045? How much is it as a spare part?

I was speculating about the similarity between the 6025 and 6045, it is certainly possible there are other differences, such as different propeller size or drive unit. But the reported flow rates on 6025 before and after the mod, the tested flow rate on 6045 and the tested power draws on both pumps suggested the similarity.

I will not be surprised if by slapping a 6045 housing one can turn a 6025 into a 6045. Something similar about Tunze products happened before, the one came to mind is one of their Doc skimmers. You can buy a less rated skimmer and an upgraded reaction chamber to turn the skimmer into one that is rated one level higher.
Old 02/18/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Well I just operated on one of my 6025's and wow, definetly a nice increase in gpm/gph. I would say by the feel of hand its around a 30-40% increase!

The kicker is my pump now starts in the right direction every time! I just tested it and it went 5 for 5.... oh well so much for engineering! lol
Old 02/18/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Are you talking about the front half of the pump cover for the 6045? How much is it as a spare part?
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The part is $12.24 on the tunze site under 'spare parts' (part no. 6045.130).

I'm gonna dig around on this a little bit more and I'll post to this thread if I pick a few up.

-P
Old 02/18/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Amazing mod. Couldn't resist but try it... Well I tested the flow on the Nanostream 6025 after I used a dremel and took off all the inside tunnel off the front housing, and...

amazing results... thanks to jacmyoung that turned me on to this thread. Mr. Pink floyd, my hat off to you for even thinking about the possibility... I don't know about the long term implications of the mod but I can report on the flow results...
I took 11 measurements in GPH on the nanostream 6025:
1182.91, 1173.91, 1166.30, 1139.24, 1122.66, 1115.70, 1098.67, 1078.92, 1058.82, 1045.49, 992.64
From the above, I discarded the lowest and highest 3 readings.
The resulting five gave me an average flow of 1111.04 GPH. THAT IS AMAZING. What a mod. Thanks again Mr. Pink Floyd for even thinking about it. Tunze did say that the 6025 was designed with a restriction to produce flows of about 700GPH for people that wanted smaller flow in their tanks. They also said that the 6045 was designed to produce the higher flow. Based on my previous flow measurements comparing the 6025 to the 6045, I say the modded 6025 rocks!!! It actually blows the 6045 away, considering that under the same test the 6045 was delivering 930 GPH... WOW!!!

Last edited by skydancer; 02/19/2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02/19/2007, 12:12 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Thanks, and once again im glad this helped people out, and thank you skydancer for finding the GPH readings

I think there are many more versions of this mod to be done, and many more i would like to try, i may buy a front plate and try the vortech mod i was talking about.(cutting off inside and outside tubes, glueing the "crosshairs" in the outer tube over the hole to cover it up)

Anyone who beats me to this, or finds any other mods to it, please feel free to post, this thread is to help people out

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 02/19/2007, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the test skydancer, did you check the power draw after the mod also?
Old 02/19/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the test skydancer, did you check the power draw after the mod also?
Ah, ha...

I forgot to do that... Let me run inside and plug that thing to the kill-a-watt and I'll be right back...