Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/03/2005, 06:08 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Sql

Ok which would be better MYSQL or MSSQL, I have a forum for or club running on MSSQL but most of the mods for the software are written for MYSQL. MYSQL is free so I got it to use but it is crashing sometimes and sometimes not letting me write to the database, Which is considered better, should I try and fix MYSQL or continue to us MSSQL
Old 05/03/2005, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I feel that MYSQL is superior. However if you are running it on Windows you could run into problems.
Old 05/03/2005, 09:18 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

yeah it is on a windows 2003 Server and I am having problems are there any fixes for it or would it be best to just stick with MSSQL
Old 05/03/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

I would wait and see if someone with experience using MYSQL on a windows box responds. I'm not sure what you could do to tweak it. I just know it runs much better on Linux. I would install Linux and MySQL on your computer, but thats me.
Old 05/03/2005, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I use MySQL but on a unix based server. For what it is worth I love it.
Old 05/03/2005, 09:43 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Can not really move to linux right now
Old 05/03/2005, 09:45 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

I liked some of the features of mysql but it stopped letting me write to the database so that sucked and then it crashed, I have it reinstalled and it has been running for 24 hours without any problems, just not sure I trust to leave it running and take it into production.
Old 05/04/2005, 09:15 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

mysql on Windows is akin to juggling cats. Sooner or later you're going to get hurt. Move to a more stable platform.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/04/2005, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
mysql on Windows is akin to juggling cats. Sooner or later you're going to get hurt. Move to a more stable platform.
Thanks Doug, I shot water out my nose at that one.

Just as a side note. I like winders, but think it makes a poor choice for a server.
Old 05/04/2005, 09:40 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

I have been running windows server for years with no problems and no money to change or time to learn a new platform. What it the best way to convert a MSSQL database to MYSQL
Old 05/04/2005, 10:19 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

There is no "conversion." You'll have to dump the tables into files and then create matching tables on mysql and import them.

I'm sure that you've been running windows servers for years. There is, however, a reason why nearly all of the "heavy lifting" on the Internet is done on other platforms. It's okay to stick with what you know. You just need to accept that doing some comes at a cost.

Old 05/04/2005, 10:42 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

what cost, if it stays running and does not crash then to me that it great
Old 05/04/2005, 10:46 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Security, stability and scalability. Like I said, stick with what you know. I don't care one way or another. What I do know is that the same box running mysql on linux vs on windows can handle roughly twice the number of connections.

Old 05/04/2005, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

How Omnipotent of you Doug. I tend to believe what the computer dorks say. So I believe Doug I guess.
Old 05/04/2005, 11:10 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

I know most of the internet is none windows but I also know several large worldwide companies that use windows without problems, I also was part of a few companies that moved to windows because of issues with others, I do not really care if anyone likes windows or not it is what I have now and I just want to know how to make sure MYSQL does not crash. I backup a test database last night and then today tried to do a restore and it errors out so I am not sure what it wrong there but that scares me since I need something I can recover from if something happens
Old 05/04/2005, 11:30 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by marinelife
I do not really care if anyone likes windows or not it is what I have now and I just want to know how to make sure MYSQL does not crash

That's what I've been trying to tell you. If you're tied to Windows you're better off with mssql.

Sure a few companies have switched, but that isn't the trend...

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

Cheers

Old 05/04/2005, 04:35 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

I found a program to convert the data base and it worked great.