Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2005, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

For your reference. How a GFCI works and how an outlet is setup. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

And finally I would never put a meter in the HOT side and in the tank. You are creating a circuit if you have a miswired outlet any where in the house.
Old 10/10/2005, 10:42 AM
In over my head!

Erik,

It really doesn't matter as long as you have the meter set to measure voltage. The resistance through the meter is at least in the order of Mega-Ohms (theoretically infinite). So, even if you're measuring 120V, you're not going to draw any significant current. Just a handfull of microamps, probably less less.

Now, do that same test with the meter set up for measuring curent and you're going to have problems.
Old 10/10/2005, 11:31 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffbrig
Erik,

It really doesn't matter as long as you have the meter set to measure voltage. The resistance through the meter is at least in the order of Mega-Ohms (theoretically infinite). So, even if you're measuring 120V, you're not going to draw any significant current. Just a handfull of microamps, probably less less.

Now, do that same test with the meter set up for measuring curent and you're going to have problems.
Yea but what a way to catch a troublesome Damsel

Poke and catch... Poke and catch hehehhehe

GFCI principal is pretty basic

/ compares current in with current out.

If there is a differenece IE current going into water and out say a ground probe or your body, the unit senses it and breaks the circuit. The same number of electrons that go into the device come out . (conservation of energy principal) GFCI just makes sure that the current is going out the neutral lead is all.
Old 10/10/2005, 07:19 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffbrig
Has anyone heard from Marc in the past 12 hours?
Old 10/10/2005, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Is that bbq I smell?

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it"
- Henry Ford
Old 10/10/2005, 08:31 PM
Standpipe Guy

Smells like burnt socks to me...

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 10/10/2005, 08:45 PM
TRC Leader

Don't worry, I have no idea what they were talking about and moved on to something I do know something about.

I am so impressed by my little corals, and how they are maintaining their colors instead of turning green green green. Capturing the true color is tough under all the different lighting I have, but I still try as best I can.

Here is a frag of Tyree A. valida - viewed from the side.

Same piece, from above.

I don't remember what this coral is called, but if Nathan is reading this thread he can tell me. It is doing very well, with lots of potential bursting out along many new tips.

And this WAS a fuzzy green millepora. Now look at the crazy thing! Do you see all those new bumps, especially along the left side? I can't believe this coral survived the PO4 Wars of 2005. At night, all the SPS extend polyps to feed.
Old 10/10/2005, 08:51 PM
TRC Leader

This coral was in Keith's tank when he was tearing it down. I think I found it in a baggie in the sump or on the substrate, ignored or considered dead. It looks super healthy to me.

Some Bytor orange zoos.

Diploastrea (top), micromussa in the center perhaps (or maybe favia, I don't know).

A. millepora - with the Clown Goby gone, I thought it would get furry, but it hasn't yet. Strange.

A frag from the above coral is doing great!

These finger Lobophyllias were brown at one time. Green now. Still fluffy and mostly happy.
Old 10/10/2005, 08:55 PM
TRC Leader

This coral is kinda peach colored with light blue or lavendar tips.

This is that Acropora I've had about two years, with all of its strange color changes. The polyps are purple, but the body looks brown, orange, and green in various areas.

Hammer

Mean Greens and a Favia

I've had this Psammacora for about two years or so, but part of it died off. It is a very slow grower, and about 75% of it is still doing well. It too survived the PO4 wars.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:07 PM
TRC Leader

This frag was mostly green, but it has some strange reddish color mixed in now. Kinda shimmery from the side and neat. It isn't growing, but it looks unique. The orange dot to the right is the sun coral baby all closed up.

This frag may be from Keith. The one to the right definitely is, and that is the one I thought was 100% dead 6 weeks ago. I was about to pluck it out of the tank but when looking from above I saw bright green tissue. It has since grown around the front to where you can see it on the part that faces the viewing panel. The other coral on the left has lots of potential tips bursting out.

A very hairy milli from Zenya that I got at MACNA

The Surabaya acropora continues to heal. Remember this is the coral I gave a haircut to, and hoped the tissue that remained would do better. Some nuisance algae is trying to remain, but it seems to be losing to the healthy tissue.

Dr Mac pink Pocillopora

Lavendar rim and a beautiful sps - they came like that from Keith's tank.

Dr Mac blue tipped acro. The color didn't come out correctly, because the main part is teal. It looks lighter, like a pastel, not so green as in this photo. Oh well.

Another piece with new tips budding. Yay!

Tom the Copperband Butterfly - I think he ate a big aiptasia today. Also, the Longnosed Hawkfish that no longer can close his mouth - ever. He seems fine, but can't close his mouth.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:08 PM
TRC Leader

That's pretty much it.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:12 PM
R I P we miss you...

Marc, why can't the Hawkfish close his mouth?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 10/10/2005, 09:15 PM
TRC Leader

I don't have any idea. He's been like that for the past few months. He still eats and jets around the tank, but short of grabbing his beak and squeezing it shut, I don't know what I can do.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:18 PM
R I P we miss you...

Strange... Poor little guy.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 10/10/2005, 09:47 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

everything is looking good. glad it is all coming back

weird about the hawkfish....wonder what happend

nice CBB...wish mine still was still alive

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/10/2005, 09:50 PM
TRC Leader

I totally agree. Just seeing corals exhibiting new growth at the tips reminds me of the excitement I felt in the past. It's about time!

I have to change out the phosban reactors tonight to put in fresh media. I'm running fresh carbon in a third Phosban Reactor, and changed a total of 80g of water over the weekend.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:53 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

so the po4 staying down???

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/10/2005, 09:53 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
nice CBB...wish mine still was still alive
I haven't had any luck with them either. My holding tank during construction was loaded aiptasias. Tried two different sized CBB that ate at the LFS and refused to eat anything at home. Not even the aips.

What happened to yours?

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 10/10/2005, 09:56 PM
Zeolishious

I knew a girl that told her parents she got lockjaw from saying "Happy New Year" on New Years Eve . But I knew that wasn't the truth and now you guys know too. Maybe it is a female????

All things aside, I hope "she" recovers!!!

Clint

I am the coral king! I can do anything!

Click on the red house and see the my reef.. (2-10p.m. pst.)
User name= reefcentral
Password= password
Old 10/10/2005, 09:56 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i believe it had a bacterial infeciton...but some thought that it was sucked up against a powerhead...which i don't think could have happened.

mine was eating and lived for 1.5wks but then its side looked terrible and it died that day

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/10/2005, 10:03 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
so the po4 staying down???

Lunchbucket
I tested it two days ago, and it was around .5 to 1, so I'm going to assume that PURAphos isn't really as good as they say. The jar has a label announcing it will treat 900g of water. Humm. I guess that would be water in perfect condition, not mine. I dosed a half bottle of Phosbuster Pro after completing the water change, to help bring it down a skotch more. That was dosing it at 1/3 recommended strength.

I'll check it again tonight to see what the level reads, and get the media replaced in the two reactors.

Quote:
Originally posted by original-reefland
I haven't had any luck with them either. My holding tank during construction was loaded aiptasias. Tried two different sized CBB that ate at the LFS and refused to eat anything at home. Not even the aips.

What happened to yours?
Rich, I tried once before this one. I got one that the LFS had for a month (they say) and it was eating. I put it in a tank full of featherdusters and aiptasia, and six days later I realized its stomach was badly pinched. The next day it was dead. I told myself that next time I buy one that is eating, I'll buy the food the LFS is feeding it as well to increase my chances.

This one was my second one, and it came from a club member's tank. He'd had it two months and it was very happy in his tank, but it was nipping at his clam and he decided he wanted the clam more. So I bought it and put it in my tank. 24 hours later I couldn't find it anywhere. The next day I looked for bones or any clues, but it had vanished. Five full days later, I happened to be looking through the overflow box in the rear corner of the tank (from in the fish room by the power panel) and found him cowering inside a cave in the rockwork. Still surrounded by aiptasia that he never ate. Day after day he got more and more courageous and now he is out most of the time, if he's not looking for food in the back.
Old 10/10/2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Rowaphos! You know what it did for me once!
Old 10/10/2005, 10:14 PM
Reef Mania

Things are really looking good, I am glad to see it and can't wait for your tank to start growing out, it should be totally sweet!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/10/2005, 10:14 PM
TRC Leader

Oh I agree. I was all out and bought what was available locally.

Thanks RJ.
Old 10/11/2005, 06:32 AM
Premium Member

Very nice Marc. It is nice to see stuff doing well again! You might just have to make Phosbuster part of your routine to keep it low. The SPS though finally look pretty healthy to me so I think your through the worst.

Are you still looking to catch the hippos or is that on hold since they seemed to stop munching?

Click the red house above to visit my thread