Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

List of reef safe inverts?

Does someone have a list of reef safe inverts? I want to add more inverts to my tank but i dont want them to eat my zoas or toadstools or feather dusters. I currently have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, some hermits and snails. looking for some cool inverts for a 75g.

I was thinking of:
serpent star or two
emerald crab
porceline crab

i wish i could get some asteroidea star fish, i guess i could get a sand sifter but i only have a 3-4 month old sand bed.

A nice list of reef safe inhabitants would be nice. (im not worried about LPS or SPS since i do not have stong lighting)
Old 12/10/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

i wouldnt recommend getting a sand sifter... they eat all the good organisms out of the sand bed and then your tank will crash...
Old 12/10/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

I witnessed my emarld crab consumed my zoa's before I banned it from my tank.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Bump... any good lists? Or odds on the "safe with caution" some people dont like emeralds while others have never had a problem. What about the porcelain crabs?
Old 12/11/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I've never read anything bad about porcelain crabs, since they are primarily filter feeders it seems like it would be a rare one that goes rogue.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you don't get green serpent star. They're fish killers
Old 12/11/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I like queen conches. They are good sand shifters and good detritus and algae eaters. However, they will die when tank temperature is over 80F.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

On the sand sifting starfish- do not get one, please? They tend to pretty voraciously eat everything living in a sandbed before going off to die somewhere where, generally, a reef keeper won't notice until AFTER the body starts to rather quickly decompose (although, melt is really a more appropriate word) and foul the water. It's a gross, disgusting thing when a starfish dies, and there are really other starfish which are better suited to reef tanks.

On the emerald (mithrix) crabs- there are pretty even odds of getting a "good" or a "bad" one when it comes to polyp ripping/eating. Generally, the behavior is only saved for damaged or dying polyps (which could be considered a good thing to some). So, you'll probably hear equal arguments for and against emerald crabs.

I like boxer (pom pom) crabs, but you'll never see them in a tank that big.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the sand shifting starfish. They will turn your live sand bed to dead sand bed.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

This site may help some. It gives alot of info on all critters.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=497
Old 12/11/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Check out the PomPom Crab (or Boxer Crab, depening where you buy it).... they hide a lot but when they come out they shake their mini-anemones in the water - its pretty cool. Reef safe AFAIK - never bothers any of my corals.