Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2005, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Question skimmers

Well its time that i get a skimmer, and want to get a a idea of what is out there b for i buy. i have 46 bow with assorted corals and dont know if i want a hang on or one that is submursable. my friend is a sales person and i can get it for cost so that id not a prob. i am going to builb a new sump out of a 15 tall and want to incorperate the skimmer b for i start on the sump, just want to pick some brains b for i get started.
Old 01/12/2005, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

ps look its almost 420
Old 01/13/2005, 12:01 AM
Anemone Rancher

Hey, Charlie! I think my very first coral came from that tank...the devil's hand.

I'd recommend looking at the Aqua C skimmers. I just got a Remora hang-on and it is doing much better than the Excaliber that I had on the 37. I got the option for an overflow fitting so that if the cup gets full it flows into a separate container. Haven't had that happen yet but I imagine it'll be about as appetizing as a saloon spittoon, but better than overflowing.

I bought a Turbofloater 1000 for the 140--if I had it to do over again I'd spend the extra bucks to get the Turbofloater Multi that can operate as a hang-on or in-sump. The regular turbofloater requires a second pump or an overflow to feed water in...seems wasteful of both space and power to run two pumps for one skimmer.

Getting an in-sump model (in general) seems safer to me just in case it overfills while you're not paying attention. I don't want the gunk going back into my water but I really don't want it going all over the carpet. On the other hand, it does take up valuable space if you don't have a large sump.

Sorry, no experience with anything but those three.
Old 01/13/2005, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

I had a 46 bowfront with a 20 gallon fuge/sump in the stand. For a skimmer I ran a ASM G-1X. I think its rated at 150 gallons. What a great skimmer. ASM is basically a cheaper version of the Euroreef. They have the same pump, same impeller, same everything for the most part as far as I know. The main difference which I prefer is there is no threaded union to take of the cup like on the euroreef. You simple twist it probably a quarter turn and it pops off on the ASM. I wouldnt use anything else. They are awesome and they are reasonable priced.

Good luck to ya!
Old 01/13/2005, 12:43 AM
DARC Board Member

I have a Aqua C Remora for my 75 and I love it. Never had a problem and it always produces

Dave
Old 01/13/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

I second the ASM skimmers. I'm sold on them.
Bill