Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

For chat, I am much more inclined to use something that allows a standard IRC client, since I have IRC windows open all day anyway. Of course there are web interfaces to IRC as well.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Oh wait...you posted before me!

I like the RSM hood better...much better...but that's just me...
I am leaning the same way Rue, which bums me out a little. I was so looking forward to a MH system, but I am just so not liking the open top!!
Old 01/08/2008, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Y-DesygnGuy: I would agree, I prefer the look of the RSM hood, however I do not think the new hood looks bad at all. Occasionally we must sacrifice some form for function. Of course in this case, there is secret option C, the nano-customs hood which gives both form and function, but at a cost.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iostream
Y-DesygnGuy: I would agree, I prefer the look of the RSM hood, however I do not think the new hood looks bad at all. Occasionally we must sacrifice some form for function. Of course in this case, there is secret option C, the nano-customs hood which gives both form and function, but at a cost.
Completely agree with you...

Here is the cost break down...

New fixture as it sits $198.00 for everything.
Need to buy: New Bulb, New Ballast another $150 at least for a total of $350.00 give or take a few bucs.

Nanocustoms set up is $500 and only 150 watts not 250.
But I can keep the sleek clean look of the tank. So its about an extra $150 bucs for the nanocustoms set up...

Old 01/08/2008, 11:17 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - I see that the new hood is also thinner than the Orbit. It's like a major life change when you first replace the RSM hood! Although I don't have it on anymore I always did like the stock look of the RSM hood. I'd give it a day and a night to "soak in". Try just the actinics later tonight with the room lights off & see what you think. With just the actinics on several of those Rics should look like they're glowing. To be honest I was surprised that you ordered the hood, as I know how much you liked the clean lines of the stock tank. How is the new hood for noise level vs. the RSM hood? My Orbit fan is very quiet, and one of the reasons I got rid of the RSM hood was the dang noisy fans in it.

(I'd almost bet that you go back to the RSM hood )
Old 01/08/2008, 11:23 AM
Genuine reef addict

Just remember that with the Nanocustoms mod, you'll almost definitely need a chiller too. The open hood in my case can be cooled with fans, but I think that the Nanocustoms enclosed hood may definitely require the chiller. The cabinet may be a place to keep the chiller. but a lot have found the chiller gets too hot in the cabinet and have to place it outside the cabinet. All kinds of other things to consider!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

You were going to upgrade the ballast. Upgrade the light, phoenix 15k I believe. Who knows replace the T-5.
I think Nano customs is the way to go. Think about it, its in the ballpark of a Current Orbit. Just try to get the bulbs you want in it

Marty

Update, You don't need a 250k HQI. For a 18" tank (including sand bed, a 150 is enough. If you get the sump, you could do your cooling there

If I do decide to ditch it, I think I will drop the money on the NanoCustoms HQI upgrade... Uggg $500 for that and only $160 for this...
What do you all think? Keep it? Ditch it?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Yeah the hood is very thin I like that actually. It is a HUGE change for me, I keep walking out and looking at it I am so torn! I did try the auctinics only this morning, WOW those rics are so amazing and crazy looking! I would say the fans are not any louder than the stock rsm ones honestly. Heat is not an issue that I can see really, with it open like that the surface of the water isn't warm at all. I know that the nanocustoms would keep the clean look, but wow its several hundred more to do. I have to pay to ship it so on top of the cost of the set up I would be around $550-$600 for nanocustoms set up I would say. Vrs $350 for this set up with the open top, new ballast, new bulb. Nanocustoms might require a chiller so there is several more hundred. Leaving the top open like this I could change the skimmer out easily. I could set up a sump easily, keep the temps down... UGGG I just don't know!

martinphillip03 -- I hear ya man I am leaning that way myself! I have been told by lots of people 250 is to much for this tank, but then again I have heard it would be fine. The sump would reduce the heat of things for sure...

God I hate being so confused normally I am spot on with decisions. I got my couches in and within 30 seconds I knew I hated them and they had to go. This is hard for me because it is a form and function thing.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

Marty - I got the Outer Orbit, new, for only $366 - a great price. I considered the Nanocustoms too, but it was more expensive and I'd need the extra cost of a chiller. I've also heard of some possible issues with the heat from the Nanocustoms mod causing an eventual warping of the plastic on the RSM hood.

Y-DesygnGuy - It's a bummer that every advantage always comes with a disadvantage! Just my opinion, but I also think a 250W MH is too much. Even with my 150w I don't think my standard mushrooms that are exposed to it are doing as well as the had - the Rics as well as all my other corals seem to be doing great with the 150W though. Plus the 250W MH will just cause more heat. Like IOstream says - it's a form & function decision. Do you really want to keep things in the tank that will require the MH setup? The RSM lights are capable of quite a lot as received.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...bigger isn't ALWAYS better...

You guys crack me up...
Old 01/08/2008, 01:14 PM
Professional Obfuscator

For the record...all the stuff in my tank is doing fine under the stock lights...even the teeny tiny acro frags I picked up to experiment with are growing nicely...

I do however have new lights on order since it's been a good 6 months...I don't want to overlook changing them before they loose their oomph...
Old 01/08/2008, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

chris the fixture looks good! i like it alot! if u dont keep it i will take it asap!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
Completely agree with you...

Here is the cost break down...

New fixture as it sits $198.00 for everything.
Need to buy: New Bulb, New Ballast another $150 at least for a total of $350.00 give or take a few bucs.

Nanocustoms set up is $500 and only 150 watts not 250.
But I can keep the sleek clean look of the tank. So its about an extra $150 bucs for the nanocustoms set up...

Okay...I guess I'll weigh in now. As a Nanocustoms hood owner (one of the first I think) and a happy owner at that, there are some things you have to know.

I do not believe there is any way around a chiller. Factor in $250 for a used 1/10hp or $350 for a new one. I would not go any smaller than a 1/10 and would definitely not go thermoelectric (been there, done that). If you go Nanocustoms then make sure you tell them to keep the stock fans in place, in addition to the fans that they add. You will need them to move all of that hot air. Run the Phoenix 14,000K. It provides great color.

Having said that, I think your tank looks fine with the new fixture (and it is ultimately a lot cheaper) but I do like the AIO look better.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Rue,
Where did you order stock lights from. I keep meaning to find replacements before actually needing them. I agree with you...stock lights seem to be fine for the sps I have (montipora digitata, Pocillopora)

Y-DesygnGuy,
Thats a tough one, I like the MH set up, but couldn't keep my cats out of the tank if I had it.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

My lfs is getting them from me. He has an account with RSM as I understand it...
Old 01/08/2008, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Well I think I need to leave it for one day and think about it. I will try and slow down and take it all in and really figure out what it is I don't like. i know I don't like seeing the skimmer and all the stuff back there. But maybe I can fix that easily and that would be a quick fix. I did talk to someone who has the Nanocustoms mod done with the HQI 150watt. He did tell me it gets hot and their ballast gets hot. So he thought a chiller would have to be purchased for sure, this is a fellow AZ reefer. And I see LPSLuver just chimmed in and agrees with the chiller. For some dumb reason I put the tank on the west wall in my family room. Which means when its 4-5pm in the summer and the sun is beating down on that side of the house, the open top might be very beneficial!

So if I go the nanocustoms route then im getting close to $700+ for new lighting and a chiller which I think is just crazy! I could go and buy another RSM and place it on the other side of the couch and have two!!

I think the corals LOVE the new light myself, the rics opened up quickly today!

Here is a short video I took of it you can see the shimmer! Please excuse the dirty glass I didn't clean it yet today, ive been to mesmerized by the light!

Thank you all for the comments I really appreciate it!

http://www.y-desygn.com/tank/RSM_MH.mov

*edit* Hodge thankfully my Jack Russell can't jump that high!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

My Newbie to RSM 2 Cents Worth....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
For the record...all the stuff in my tank is doing fine under the stock lights...even the teeny tiny acro frags I picked up to experiment with are growing nicely...

I do however have new lights on order since it's been a good 6 months...I don't want to overlook changing them before they loose their oomph...
Rue - I'm with you! Keep the stock hood and spend the $ on frequent lamp changes!

Y-DesygnGuy - The "light leakage" above your RSM would bother me since it would detract focus on the tank itself! If I were to consider this light, I would be looking at a way to make an attractive "light shroud" for the front and sides to reduce that leakage without increasing the heat build-up too much... IMHO!

Fishy Something & Reefmack - Thanks for the solid reasoning and advice for owning a TDS meter... I don't think I will make it a high priority purchase for now...

LaurentSeattle - Keeping marine aquariums is a constant, and sometimes disappointing, learning experience; which is why we all participate on this thread! I wasn't aware of "basslets" sensitivity to Magnesium levels??? I also thought that most of the "Royal Grammas" available today are tank raised. My first one in 1967 was definitely not..... he was wild collected.

Awaiting delivery of my RO/DI today.... Wahooo!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I've got a chance to pick up some corals from a local guy who's tearing down his tank due to a serious algae problem and a lack of maintenance.
Do you think it worth trying to nurse unhappy corals back to health if they can be picked up real cheap??
Ones I'm interested in are:
two different Favia (pineapple,moon)
Lobophyllia
Trachaphylia
Montastrea
Oulophyllia
porites
Some look to be in pretty good health (favia) and some kinda sad looking (open brain) from what I can tell from the pics??
I wish I had a quarantine tank!!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy -

Thanks for the video.... Appears that the Naked Clowns are bonding? Wahooo!

Are you going to get increased tank evaporation, saltwater crusting outside the RSM because of the open top?

Regards,
Kent
Old 01/08/2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
I've got a chance to pick up some corals from a local guy who's tearing down his tank due to a serious algae problem and a lack of maintenance.
Do you think it worth trying to nurse unhappy corals back to health if they can be picked up real cheap??
Ones I'm interested in are:
two different Favia (pineapple,moon)
Lobophyllia
Trachaphylia
Montastrea
Oulophyllia
porites
Some look to be in pretty good health (favia) and some kinda sad looking (open brain) from what I can tell from the pics??
I wish I had a quarantine tank!!
Hodge - Your a FIREFIGHTER! Trained in saving life.... Correct?

Rescue those corals, my RSM firefighter friend! It's your sworn duty.... especially if they are being offered CHEAP!

Kent
Old 01/08/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone got a Flame angel in their RSM...I can't remember??
Everything I read so far seems to be contradictory...seems to depend on the individual fishas best I can tell.
I can get one from the same guy as the corals (he has great fish, but all too large for the RSM except the flame angel)
Old 01/08/2008, 02:59 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - the video was great! And the new clowns really looked good! While I was watching the clowns I realized that the first time that most tank raised fish ever see live rock is probably when they go into our tanks. The Rics looked awesome under the new lighting. I need to make more "Ric Room" in my tank somehow!

NaCl - on the grammas, from Wet Web Media: "Males build nests from algae and plant scraps; both parents guard the gray eggs, numbering up to four hundred. The Royal Gramma was one of the earliest tank raised species back in the 1960's. Gramma loreto is unfortunately still wild caught in commercial quantities to satisfy demand." Soooo, probably no guarantee that what we get is tank raised without buying direct from the breeder. I sure hope that RO/DI of yours does arrive today! Maybe the seller will surprise you & sent a TDS meter as well. When I got mine it had a built in pressure meter freebie that was a surprise.

edit - on the open hood - yes on the increased evaporation, but i haven't noticed any increased salt crusting beyond what i saw with the RSM hood.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Hodge -- Hmm if you had a quarantine tank I would say go for it, other wise I would be iffy. I wouldn't want things decomposing in my tank or polluting it with algae myself. I remember seeing a picture of some ones RSM with a Flame Angel. Don't get me started with Angel fish, I really want one, but I hear so many different stories on them.

Kent -- Your are welcome, yes the clowns are much more friendly to one another now. Yes the tank evap will be a lot more this way for sure. I will not let any salt crust on anything, that is one of my biggest pet-peeves with salt water tanks. The light has been on for 4 hours and the water temp at the surface is much less than what the stock rsm lights kept it.

Reefmack -- Yeah you know I never thought of that with tank raised fish. I still want to see them host in something, that is one of my goals is to get them to host!
Old 01/08/2008, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Hodge: I dont have a flame, but do have a Potter's. Basically any of the dwarf angels are a gamble with regards to corals, particularly lps... Mine has been good so far, but it can be an issue. Since I plan mainly mushrooms and zoa, I am not too concerned yet. They sure do make an interesting addition to the tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Hodge -
Hope his link helps with your "Flame Angel" decision... Suggested that 'Angels' are kept solo... and in 50 gal. tanks for room to roam although this is a dwarf species and they are good algae eaters!

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

Reefmack -
Good point about WHAT YOU ARE GETTING when purchasing fish... re: tank raised vs. wild collected. I guess you need to develop a close relationship with a trusted LFS!
Happy to hear there aren't any salt crusting issues with your Orbit lights and the fans are quiet!
I am hoping I receive a TDS bonus with my RO/DI.... still waiting!

Y-DesignGuy -
It only makes sense that the 'open' lighting, exposing the water surface would lower temps compared to the stock RSM hood. Happy the 'Naked's' are getting along. Keep the videos coming!

Thanks Guys!