Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2004, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Off Topic: PS2 or XBOX

Hi there,

I have only played computer games so I have very little knowledge of Play Station 2 and XBOX games. My family recieved a gift card to buy one of the play systems. I have a 4 year old so I am looking for a gaming system that he can use and of course myself. Which one would you recommend? Also if you can provide the reason why like PS2 or XBOX it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12/27/2004, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I have both and like both. the graphics are better with the xbox but the ps2 has more games. so it is a toss up. I say get both of them. JK I would say go with the xbox the graphics are great and the picture is alot more clear. Plus xbox games dont have as many glitches.
Old 12/27/2004, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

TRADE THE CARD FOR FRAGS!!!!! wait 4 years to see what changes are made to the boxes and your son is really old enough to enjoy the full capacity of these boxes. JMO as I look at the dust collecting on the NINTEDO,PS,PS2,XBOX, and all versions & colors of gameboys collecting in my kids closets.
Old 12/27/2004, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Just asked my boys 7 and 11. Both said Xbox
Old 12/27/2004, 01:26 PM
Got nothing

I have them both, I bought the PS2 first then after a year or so, bought the Xbox. I haven't't turned on the PS2 since. I hate messing with the memory cards on the PS2, xbox is much nicer with recalling games. The PS2 will play DVD out of the box, the Xbox make you buy a remote to play DVD's, that's was kinda cheap of Microsoft. I would still go with the Xbox and a football.
Brian
Old 12/27/2004, 02:38 PM
Retired Reefer

I have both as well. I like the xbox for the same reasons as listed above but I've been playing my PS2 alot more. (Back into Grand Tourismo and Grand Theft Auto SA)

Some people say that the PS2 will work better for little kids because the controller is smaller. This is true but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. A kid will learn to play with any controller.
Old 12/27/2004, 02:52 PM
Got nothing

Hey SeaMatt, did GT4 come out or are you still playing GT3. I loved GT3 on the PS2 and thought about buying the GT4 whenever it came out but haven't kept up. Spent some time play Rally super challenge 2, that is a great game on the xbox.
Brian
Old 12/27/2004, 02:56 PM
Retired Reefer

From what I can tell, GT4 will be out in February 05 or later. I don't know why it's taking so long to release. Hell, Volvo is using the graphics for their commercials now...
GT3 is taking care of my racing hunger for now. I never beat it the first time around. I started playing it again last night and realized that I must have deleted my memory from the first go around. I was racing in the advanced levels so I had to start all over again. I was kinda ****ed but found it to be very fun to start again with those weak cars.
Old 12/27/2004, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by FishnWishn
TRADE THE CARD FOR FRAGS!!!!! wait 4 years to see what changes are made to the boxes and your son is really old enough to enjoy the full capacity of these boxes. JMO as I look at the dust collecting on the NINTEDO,PS,PS2,XBOX, and all versions & colors of gameboys collecting in my kids closets.
Want to sell that dusty X-Box?
Old 12/27/2004, 03:24 PM
Colorado Reefer

xbox

Play Halo 2? World of Warcraft? Send me a PM!

John Michael - President RMRC
Old 12/27/2004, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for your replies.

I also have heard that the xbox has better graphics but the one concern I have is that does it have games for a boy that is 4 1/2 years old. I heard that most of the games on the xbox are more violent and the ps2 has a more balanced amount of games (violent and kid friendly).

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12/27/2004, 04:35 PM
Colorado Reefer

Just get both.. Well, I would get the gamecube for the 4 1/2 year old.. And the xbox for you.

Yes you are right.. There are not many games out there. My daughter plays finding nemo but has alot of problems with it. I have been thinking of getting her a gamecube as it has more games for her age.

Play Halo 2? World of Warcraft? Send me a PM!

John Michael - President RMRC
Old 12/27/2004, 04:48 PM
Retired Reefer

I was also just reading that the PS3 will be out sometime in 2005. You might want to go the cube or xbox route for now and wait for the PS3. Should be great fun.
Old 12/27/2004, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Xbox no comparrison. I actually have two PS2s(1 in the car and one in the house) and I never play with em. I just got an Xbox and it is far superior. The Xbox isnt a game console like the PS2, it is a computer built for gaming. The graphics and capabilities are far greater than that of the PS2. Although PS2 has typically had better games because of the Xbox's versatility that is changing quickly. Good luck!
Old 12/27/2004, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

I also have both. Xbox wins, but point about games for younger players is valid. PS2 has more...

If you have an HDTV, then definitely Xbox it is hdtv compatible I just havent gotten mine home to try HDTV yet.

Anyone out there use xbox with HDTV?
Old 12/27/2004, 07:03 PM
Retired Reefer

I have high def on my tv/xbox setup. It's great! I use the fiber connections as well.
Old 12/27/2004, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Maybe I will just get the xbox because I know I will probably use it more than him until he gets older. He uses my computer to play a bunch of educational games so he should be set if I just buy him a few games for the xbox. Plus, the cost of the games I probably will not be able to afford too many anyways.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12/28/2004, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

X box rules, but I would not reccomend it to a 4 year old. Stay away from PS2 just because the games are so generic, and it does not have any stand out games like Halo, Halo 2 ect.ect.

I would say that a gamecube would be the best for a four year old, it has the most kids titles and the controler is tiny!

But hey if you know you will use it more than he will get the X box! See you on x box live!

Also Grand theift auto san andreas is out now and has been out for a month.
Old 12/28/2004, 10:09 AM
Just like everyone else..

If you are looking for something that will entertain a 4 1/2 year old in a while, get the Gamecube. Nintendo definitly has the younger market cornered.

If you want a HUGE selection of games, including many cheap $20 titles, get the PS2. Sure, everyone says that PS2 games suck compared to XBox, but its only because there are soooo many more. The good, tested, major PS2 games can compete with anything on the Xbox.

If you want one or two "killer" games, like Halo, or Halo 2 get the XBox, or get them for your PC

Murdock
Old 12/28/2004, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

I want to invest in a Gamecube. I miss MarioKart!!! I would also agree that it would be more kid friendly then the PS2 or Xbox. We have an Xbox and we play the 'violent' games on it.

"Hunter, The Reckoning" owns all!
Old 12/28/2004, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

My vote is for xbox because of support for xbox live. The only reason I still have my ps2? GT4.

As far as the gamecube, I would agree that nintendo has TONS of GREAT kids games. If its for the kids, can't go wrong with the cube. If its for the kids (and yourself) I'd go with the xbox.
Old 01/03/2005, 04:01 AM
Registered Member

I can't wait till the new zelda comes out...looks good.
If I had to choose between the xbox and the ps2. I would choose the ps2 just for GT4 alone. I think all the Final Fantasy games are for the ps2 or cube too so that might be another factor.

The only game I like on the XBOX is collin mcrae. But I also might chose the xbox because it can be modded to be an divx player also. The only divx player I can find locally is the philips 642 (which I have) and that dvd player doesn't support the new codecs =(
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer