Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Should I rinse my Carbon in Tap water then RO Water? How much carbon to use? Help

Hi,
I know this may be a stupid question...I'm sorry. Since I've gotten quite a bit of Acropora Frags I need to know for their health and safety....well my tanks health and safety.
I've always wondered how you all rinse your carbon? I've heard people rinse with tap water. I was always wondering though, wouldn't chlorine get in the tank? I rinsed with tap water first, then rinsed with RO water. Should I let it dry before I place it in my sump?
Boomer I am using Black Diamond. I know you suggested it on another forum. I would like to know how much to use and how often should I change it? My total water volume is 65 gallons. I have a medium bio load right now. Sorry.... I just needed to be sure. Thank you very much for reading this.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 06/15/2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

I really don't like carbon and prefer either chem-pure or purigen... I just rinse mine in tap water and let it drip off then just throw it into the sump.
Old 06/15/2007, 07:55 AM
Moved On

carbon absorbs chlorine, rinsing in tap water with chlorine only shortens the life span of the carbon, use RO for the rinse.

kc
Old 06/15/2007, 08:03 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

re: carbon

I agree with Eklikewhoa, Dont use regular activated filter carbon, I have always used Chemi Pure, now they came out with a Chemi Pure elite, it now removes phosphates and silicates. Its a great choice.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Is rinsing carbon in tap water really going to reduce its lifespan significantly? The carbon block in my RO/DI filter lasts for 6 months with thousands of gallons of water running through it. I wouldn't think 10 seconds of tap water running over carbon is going to make a noticable difference. I guess if it does, we can all change out our carbon every 29 days instead of monthly.

For those who don't like using carbon, is it just because Chemi Pure and Purigen are better, or do you actually see issues with running carbon?

-Mike C.
Old 06/15/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Are you that low on RO water? I just let it soak in RO water for 10 minutes. Then rinse it quick with some RO water. Why use tap when you don't have to.
Old 06/15/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

As far as Chemipure Elite goes ....it is just carbon with other additives. No need to run additional carbon if using it. If you have a lot of leathers though it may be necessary to run added carbon to absorb the chemical warfare and Black Diamond is the best.
Old 06/15/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Yup got a Yellow Fiji Leather. Using black diamond. Good thing I got this right. =) Ty

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you that low on RO water? I just let it soak in RO water for 10 minutes. Then rinse it quick with some RO water. Why use tap when you don't have to.
Truthfully, it's just easier and faster to rinse it in the sink. I don't have a tap between my RO and DI stage, so I'd actually be using DI, so I'd be using up life on the carbon in my RO/DI, plus the RO membrane and DI resin just to save a little life on some carbon? Seems like a lost investment in both time and money to me. Not that you're wrong, but I think maybe I may just be right too.

-Mike C.
Old 06/16/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member.

ditto

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
carbon absorbs chlorine, rinsing in tap water with chlorine only shortens the life span of the carbon, use RO for the rinse.

kc
Old 06/16/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCrow
Truthfully, it's just easier and faster to rinse it in the sink. I don't have a tap between my RO and DI stage, so I'd actually be using DI, so I'd be using up life on the carbon in my RO/DI, plus the RO membrane and DI resin just to save a little life on some carbon? Seems like a lost investment in both time and money to me. Not that you're wrong, but I think maybe I may just be right too.
I could care less about saving the carbon, I don't want to add any tap water into the tank. But that's just me. A little bit of RO water is not gonna kill the RO/DI system.