Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Carpet on the rocks?

Is it normal for a carpet to migrate on to the rocks? Maybe its just temporary? When i first got it i placed it in a tupperware full of sand to minimize it from moving too much while it was settling in. Well its be about 3 weeks now and a couple days ago i removed it from the tupperware because it looked like it was trying to come out. It was in the same location for like 2 days, didnt look too good, and it didnt bother to bury its foot in the sand like it did in the tupperware. well today when i came home from school i found it about 2 inches,(not much) off the sand on the nearby rock. Looks to be alot happier and its not really bothering to go into the sand. I have a 55 gal with dual 250watt MH 15000k so i dont thinkt its a lack of light. Anyone else have similar issuses with thier carpet when it was new. I dont think it is the rock dwelling carpet. At the LFS it was it was in the sand, and in my tank it was in the sand for about 3 weeks. Im kind of confused. Ill try to post a pic later on for a visual id for you guys.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

The species of carpet will help souds like a Hoddoni, although ive been lucky w/ mine it has only romed in the sand bed. Give it time for a few of the guys that have more expertise to chime in. Good luck and Ill be fallowing the thread.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Heres a pic of him. Dont mind him being closed up, i kind of poked him a bit to close him up so you guys can see where he is attached. Come to think of it i shoul dhave taken the pic of him totally open, for id purposed, lol. ill just take a pic of him in a few mins when he opens back up. DOes he look healthy? like the colors and the foot and all? sorry its kinda blurry. anyways, this is my first carpet and would like some input. Thanks

Old 01/08/2008, 06:02 PM
The Clownfish COP

Looks to be a Haddoni (Saddle Variant) from the picture. My Blue climbed to wall of my tank once but I figured out it was because it was telling me to do a water change. I have seen carpets set up camp on rocks rather then the bottom of a tank etc. I agree with Charlie give it some time it is still new to your system. Has it eatan for you yet? Keep the pics coming.

-Ian
Old 01/08/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Ohh yea, he eats fine. so far atleast. about 1 med silverside every other day or so. i know thats kind of alot but id rather over feed right now while its settling in.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/08/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

sorry guys for the blurry pics. The nem is in a wierd angleand i guess the camera is having troule focusing through the glassand that extreme of an angle. Anyway, shoul dbe able to id it by those photos i think. Mostlytanish, but does have some green in it. if that helps.

Old 01/09/2008, 12:47 PM
The Clownfish COP

Still appears to be a S. haddoni (Saddle).

-Ian
Old 01/09/2008, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys for the input. Last night and this morning it looked like he was still inching upwards on the rocks, lol. Ill see when i get home from school tonight.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

yeah, definitely Stichodactyla haddoni (aka fish eater). Are those colt coral he's heading toward, the anemone can sting them pretty bad.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

i have that excat same anemone,mine dosent eat like he used to,i just give him a cocktail shrimp once a week and it grab it and swaloow it right up.now i have to put it right on his mouth for him to eat it,if i drop it on him hell grab it,but then he lest go of it after a bit.theres anemone crab living on him would that have changed his fedding habits? hes in the bottom of a 120 with 260 power compacts on him?
thanks
Old 01/10/2008, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Jason, maybe it has to do with lighting, or maybe it has to do with water quality. Params? Water change frequency? Brand of salt mix used?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Well mine seems to have started back down the rock work. It looks to be ok but i havent been home the last two days while the light cycle was on due to school. I guess ill have to see tonight when i get home.

-John
Old 01/10/2008, 01:22 PM
The Clownfish COP

jasonak, do you add any Selcon to the shrimp or do you feed it just straight shrimp? Im just wondering if the shrimp your are feeding it might be pre-cooked, etc. and might be lacking some benifical elements, hence thats why you have to place the food by the mouth now. I know with my anemones (haddons & BTAs) I try to add somewhat of a variety to their feeding schedule. I change it up between soaked squid, shrimp and silverside. I think variety is important for all marine inhabitants. Lets see some pictures.

-Ian
Old 01/10/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys
Ive had him about 4 or 5 monthes,everythings pretty good in my tank,
ph 8.2
zero nitrites and ammonia
nitrates 10
I did water change,30 gallons about a month ago when i noticed he wasnt eating as good,i dont do water changes that often as my water is always in good shape,so i didnt hink i needed to.I use the petco brand salt.
No i never add anything to the shrimp,i get them from supermarket,there fresh cocktail shrimp and then i freeze them.It used to love them,when i first got him he would snap them right up,I didnt realise that they would get tired of the same food,i give my fish a variety of stuff but didnt think to do that with my anemone maybe thats it.Ill try and upload a photo
I just added the clowns 2 days ago,they try and swim right in its mouth?
thanks
jason

Last edited by jasonak; 01/10/2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

I have been adding kent,liquid calcium,kent idodine and Seachem reef carbonate.I never uses to use these until last couple monthes.I always added purple up.the other thing i stated using recently is called reef soulution bye Ecosysytem.Not sure if any of these would ahve any effect othese guys
thanks
Old 01/10/2008, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Do ya test for all those things? If not dont add. Also the crushed coral substrate may be a prob they like a sane sub.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Also arnt cocktail shrimp pre cooked?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

No i dont have test for that stuff the guy at the pet store just suggested i use them.I guess i should get a test kit to test for that stuff.
Now that i think about it the cocktail shrimp are probally cooked,they are orange/white and firm which means there cooked.I just get them from the deli there laid out on the ice so i thought that they wernt cooked,,,,but yeah your right they must be cooked.
thanks
Old 01/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

what and where do all you guys that feed shrimp and squid get that stuff from, thats not already cooked like previously mentioned and drained of all the nutrients?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Im thinking a asian food store or tackel shop.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

yea i was thinking a tackle shop too. I can get a 1 lb bag of silversides at the tackleshop for the same price i get that lil package of silversides from the lfs. that hit me just as i was walking out the door with the lil pack of silversides in my hands, lol. oh well
Old 01/10/2008, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Anemones seem particularly fond of variety. I get shrimp uncooked with the head still on at an Asian seafood store. In the pics, the anemone (Jason's) looks good. As someone else mentioned, if you dose, you should test for whatever it is you're adding. Regular water changes are the best way to go here, rather than trying to keep the water quality up with dosing. You might want to consider a remote deep sand bed to get the nitrates down--there is thread on the general reef forum on the topic.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

As for shrimp, what about the packages at the tackleshop? Thier usually fresh frozen shrimp, i could just thaw them out, cut of the heads, or even totaly clean them of the head tail and exo-skeleton. Would that work? I mean one of those packs are like 2$ and some change.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, that should be fine. I've noticed that keeping things in the freezer for more than a couple of months it loses its freshness and the anemones aren't as eager to eat it. You might want to buy some type of fish for your carpet such as silversides, or, if you can get fresh mackerel, they might like that. I've tried canned tuna and that is a waste of time, it is too processed and rejected by any anemone I've tried it on. If you can get fresh mussel or clam, scallop in the seafood section of your grocery store, that would likely be accepted. Even uncooked salmon might be eaten. Try a small piece and see how it reacts to it.