Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

most wanted sps's

O.K. guys, I want to know, what's the most wanted sps corals out there? Sunset monti? Purple monster?
Greg
Old 12/02/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Purple monster is one I've always wanted to get. I also really would love to get my hands on a pink lemonade frag.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

You hit it right on the head for me. I would love to get my hands on sunset monti, pink lemonade, and purple monster frags. I also was after rainbow monti but I just got that one!
Old 12/02/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Oregon torts are always nice i dont have one im affraid to try cuz my tank for some reason doesnt like torts too much

MASVC member
Old 12/02/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Aren't there different pink lemonade's out there? Which one is #1?
Old 12/02/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah i guess there are different ones im not sure who had it originally you would have to figure out the lineage to see where it came from and if its from the original colony.

MASVC member
Old 12/02/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

at the LFS by my house they have a big cube tank running a 1000W 20K MH on one end and they have a colony of pink lemonade under it ... its the brightest thing ive ever scene... bright yellow skin with dark pink polyps very awesome but commands a high price i think they want $150 for a 1" frag

MASVC member
Old 12/02/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Wow. That sounds like the one the have on atlantisaquarium.net
Old 12/02/2007, 07:24 PM
Losing my mind

For me:
Orenj monti (spelling?)
sanddollar monti
a TRUE superman mille (blue with red polyps, unlike any I've ever seen)
Old 12/02/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

The LFS stores around here don't ever seem to get the high end sps...
Old 12/02/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

LFS's aren't going to get LE pieces from an order. Even if they get the same coral almost no one will think of it as the same. The only way for them to get the originals of anything is to get a frag and grow it out, then sell frags of it once it gets bigger.

I want:

M. Setosa
M. Undata
Orenji Danae
Sunset Monti
Godzilla Stag
Rainbow Sherbet Stylo
Any kind of Tricolor

There a lot of others too. I need a bigger tank
Old 12/02/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

O.k. I will probably screw this up as they are always complicated, if you read the history on Tyree's site about the Pink Lemonade, Tub's, being from the Bay Area had the piece, and Atlantis had the same piece named "Shades of Fall" given by ROAB another SF Bay Area reefer. So you have two names for one piece.

Eventually, the Atl was changed from the Shades of Fall to avoid confusion. About a year ago +/-, Ming reused the name "Shades of Fall", on another Nasuta, most likely because it is a cool name.

I could be wrong, as I find lately I am more and more as I learn more and more.

While on the subject, I would like from Santa:

Tub Pink Smoothie digi
ATL Rasbery Lemonade Nasuta
Fragfarmer Red Robin Stag
Old 12/02/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

I have the PL and Purple Monster and would trade a frag of both if I ever found someone fragging a Grafted Simplex. That to me is the ultimate coral, it's a freak that shouldn't have happened.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Broke1, is that the ATL simplex? I have seen pictures of it but I don't know the story behind it and why it's a freak. What makes it so unique?
Old 12/02/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

No, I actually had the ATL Simplex, but that was one of hardest RTNs so far. The Grafted is a freak, because it was formed when one coral fell into another and basically shared it's pigments.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedgraftedsimplex.htm
Old 12/02/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

That is pretty cool. I had never heard of that one before. What luck, when my corals fall into one another all that happens is one gets burned up!
Old 12/03/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I picked up an Oregon tort at a lfs this weekend. He had 2 frags and he claimed that he got them from a store in Oregon that sells them. I don't remember the name but it wasn't Upscales. It looked like all the pics I had seen so I bought one of the frags. Hopefully it does well in my tank. That is one of the frags on my top 10 list. I got a piece of Garf Bonzai this summer which was another acro I have been wanting. I want a piece of Pink lemonade and purple monster. I haven't gotten up the nerve to spend $400 to $500 in the for sale section to get a piece. I keep hoping a piece will show up locally. You would think you would see more of the rare stuff around Dallas but I rarely do. I think a few members in our local reef club have it but they apparently never frag it or if they do they don't offer it on the local board.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:25 AM
Nature is my valium =)

For me it was a red w/ blue tip A. hyacinthus. I tried two frags from an online vendor at two different times. One I lost last year to my aefw battle and the second just RTN'd on me Thanksgiving week. Luckily I found a 5" colony of one at my LFS that they had in the store for 3 weeks and it had new growth on it while there.

Only other sps I have a strong desire for is a red A. abrotanoides but have heard conflicting info on their ability to retain color so haven't actually purchased one yet...

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 12/03/2007, 01:26 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Orange and brown digitata.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/03/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

I would really like that fire engine (I've also heard it referred to as reverse sunset)...I would also like to get a pink lemonade someday, too.

I got lucky with Purple Monster when a young kid in the area suddenly decided to get out of the hobby...right place at the right time.

With enough patience (and money!!!) they'll all come around...then yr off hunting for the next "rare" frag.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

The Grafted Simplex was the final piece on my list of must have sps corals as well. It is so unique and the story behind it is intersting. I finally got a tiny frag of it and it is soooo cool. The green literally drips through the base color, which on my frag is a light brown with a hint of purple. I am hoping as it grows it will turn more purple. The green is a super bright green and it looks like someone threw paint on the coral and it splashed along the branches. When I get my new 105 macro lense I will be sure and get a picture of it.

There are folks, like myself, who sell the PL and Purple monster for really reasonable prices when frags of them are available...if you keep your eyes on the selling forum there are good deals on these corals from time to time. You just have to be patient and check the forums often. My frags go fast, lol.

Nanook .
Old 12/03/2007, 10:49 AM
My tank is too full

I really can't think of any other must haves at this moment A person with my addictive personality always wants more or "the next great thing", but for now, all I want is for all to have a great holiday season.

Alicia- Thats cool about the simplex.

To thine own self be true
Old 12/03/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Gravity in a jar
Old 12/03/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

i know its illegal and i will never get one but i would like to keep
A.cervivornis and A .palmata.
However i am too taking a liking to the crazy colored monti's that are getting passed around, i like the flourescent nodosa's and multicolored undata.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

i'm dying to add one of the true echinada, but am hesitant to try it now. i'm hoping my system will be ready in feb when the bidding war begins on the ice fire