Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2006, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

210g reef in a 3rd floor condo

hi, my question is do you think that I will have a problem with that much weight on a third floor, I estimate the total weight will be somewhere around 3000 pounds. I dont think there should be a problm as there is cement between the floors, although just want to make sure. thanks in advance
Old 03/18/2006, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

The total weight is less of an issue than the pounds per square foot that the floor will have to take. I would be very careful with this; consult someone in the construction industry on the weight your type of floor can take, then do some very comprehensive calculations on the weight and area of your proposed setup.
TLF phos reactor w/Rowaphos
Seachem Nitrate sponge
2x55w 50/50 actinic PC Current USA
0 amm, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 0 phos
Old 03/18/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

anyone have a big tank on a second or third floor?
Old 03/18/2006, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

With the weight evenly distributed across the floor, you will not have any problems.... If you had 3000lbs all in one square foot of space, then you'd have cause for concern.... Just think of all the folks that have king size waterbeds on the third floors of apartments.... You'll be fine IMO...

Bob
Old 03/18/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

take pictures if it doesn't work
Old 03/18/2006, 01:28 PM
sarcastic reply expert

i think you would need to take in concideration what your subflooring is made of. If its just a framed subfloor, you might have an issue, if it is a concrete slab, then you'd be all good.
Old 03/18/2006, 01:48 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

what to do...
Old 03/18/2006, 02:26 PM
Bimmer Fanatic

My brother has a 75 with 29 sump on a thrid floor, but I dont know it it is a bearing wall, floor type etc.

*-Semper Fi-*

The Few,
The Proud,
The Marines!
Old 03/18/2006, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

I agree it's best to consult someone in the construction industry to find out what the limits are, but I think in a building with concrete slab floors you'll be just fine. We've got a large waterbed in one room, a 65g tank in another and never give it a second thought. I know live and dead loads aren't the same, but imagine having a bunch of big guys over to watch a football game in your living room. You could have a lot of weight in a small area (couch, loveseat); highrise floors are designed to take that and much more.
Old 03/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

If you're really worried, ask superintendant which walls are "load bearing" , and place the tank against one, if possible.
Old 03/18/2006, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

I really think that you need to check with the management of the complex ... If they have restriction's on having a waterbed above "ground level" of your complex then, be concerned.. Otherwise, don't worry about it.....

Bob
Old 03/18/2006, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

My contract in my apt specifically says No water containing furniture. I asked specifically about my fish tank and they said, oh that's fine. It just meant water beds. But that was with a 20 Gallon. They may have different feelings about a 210. I wouldn't worry about the weight though, so long as you spread the weight across several floor joists, rather than along the middle of one joist. In other words, find out which way the joists run and put the tank perpendicular to the joists rather than parallel. Good luck
Old 03/19/2006, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

I would be very concerned about putting that much weight on an upstairs floor. I got an ok from a contractor for my 75, but they said absolutely no more than that. You definitely need to consult someone.

Also, take a good look at your homeowner's policy. I have read alot of posts where people said their sump overflowed for one reason or another. If someone below you ends up with several thousand in salt water damage you want to make sure you're covered.
Old 03/22/2006, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

my tank will be running perpendicular to the beems against a saporting wall, so hopefully it will be ok. I am waiting for the contractor to get back to me, although he said there should not be a problem.
Old 03/22/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I can almost guarantee that if you ask, tell or hint to the HOA/management that you want to put a tank that size in your condo the answer will be NO. I think your doing the right thing consulting a contractor, but I wouldn’t advertise what you’re doing until its installed and complete.
Old 03/22/2006, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

If its concrete like you said it shouldn't be a problem...but always check with contractor like you are doing. I put off setting up my 120 on the 3rd floor condo I used to live at because it was wood floors and the 55 I had there would wobble when you walked past it. Thought it would be better if I waited till I got my house.

Click the Red house for my (just another) 120g in wall thread.
Old 03/22/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, make sure its as close to a wall as possible, as opposed to a 'room divider'. That will give a lil more support if its closer to a load bearing wall. Most apartments will have identical floorplans stacked up, so most all of the walls should be LB.
Old 03/22/2006, 06:13 PM
In over my head!

Paaty, my 250g reef is on the 2nd floor of my townhouse. Counting the sump and mixing containers, I have ~350g of water in a 72x36" area. It's probably close to 5000lbs when you add the weight of the stand/tank/equipment. It doesn't budge, even if you jump up and down right next to the tank.

Why? The floor is a steel reinforced concrete slab about 7" thick, and the tank is placed against a concrete block exterior wall. (As much as can be, it's a "room divider")
Old 03/22/2006, 06:34 PM
Arrowhead Puffer

I lived on a the 2nd story of a 2story apt, one of the 1b/1b standard looking apts with a balcony, it was a rather new building, built in the early 90s, wood.

I had a 90g up there with a 20g fuge. I have to say that everytime someone walked past the tank and the powerheads were off you could see the water ripple. It was NOT good. I personaly would not put a 210 up there.

If you live in a concrete steele reinforced building like jeff, its not a prob. But for most places I would never even do my 80g there again. Imagine what I would have to pay if the floor fell through...
Old 03/22/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Hi
How are the orange zoos doing ? Good I hope. Are you planning on keeping the 75gal running or are you tearing that one down?

If you're in an apartment IMO look into the restrictions on your lease, I had a lease once (years ago) that specified no waterbeds, aquariums amoung other restrictions.