Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Evaporation!

My tank level is becoming low due to evaporation. When i open the lid theres water all on the lid. What can i do to stop this, keep the lid open?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

evaporation is part of the marine tank. the water evaporates, leaving the salt in the water, causing the specific gravity to rise. You need to top off daily with fresh water to account for the evaporation, so the specific gravity remains the same.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Are you talking about your Glass lid or the lid on your canopy?

Mark the water level where your salinity parameters are perfect. Use a refractometer to measure this. Then when water evaporates use freshwater to fill the tank back to the marked level. Don't fill the tank with more salt water. Consistently check the water with the refractometer.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

so, this is good? all i have to do is top the water off every now and then? Is just dechlorinated water good or should i add a little salt?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

An auto top off (float valve with solenoid valve) connected to an RO water source makes this a lot easier. You should be able to purchase one from a local strore or you can make one yourself. You nee a float valve for a sump pump (PVC not ABS) and a 12 volt solenoid. When the float drops from the position you have it at the solenoid will open and water will flow in until the float rises. There are a lot of do it yourself auto top offs out there. Make sure you get a normally closed solenoid. This way when the power is off the valve is closed to prevent flooding your sump/tank.

Best of luck,

Chris
Old 01/03/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

use RO/Di water if you can. you may need to add salt to the water every once and a while if the salt level is not at the correct level. But normally this salt level is achieved through water changes. I use an autotop off system which is a good investment for 50 bucks make water evaporation a mindless issue and one less thing to worry about. now the hardest thing I have to worry about is filling the autotop off bucket
Old 01/03/2008, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

i would invest in an ATO. it will definitely ease your anxiety. i use 1 gallon container for my AP12 and only need to refill every 10 days. here's a pic of the setup:

Float Switch

Water Pump

RO/DI Water
Old 01/03/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys, but 1 thing whats RO/DI water?
Old 01/03/2008, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Yeah just top off with freshwater, I usually do it on Saturdays . . ., evaporations is all part of the owner a marine tank. You take the the good you take the bad and then you have the facts of life. Ok, I just could not resist saying that.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

A couple of months ago I had the exact same problem with my Aquapod. Do youself a favor early on...buy a different light. I bought a SunPac and it is very useful.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:05 PM
How a relationship works

Quote:
Originally posted by kyman2391
thanks guys, but 1 thing whats RO/DI water?
ro=reverse osmosis
the di is not that important di=deionized

or you can use distilled water

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 01/03/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Is it just that the light is not putting off the right spectrum?
Old 01/03/2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

If you open the lid the evaporated water will humidify the air instead of condensing on the lid with at least some of it raining back into the tank. The salt doesn't evaporate. So you only need to add fresh water for top off preferably ro/di. After a period of time some salt may be lost to "salt creep" Salt deposits on and around the tank. This circumstance makes it neccessary to check salinity and add a little salt water from time to time.