Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/27/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Is bigger always better??

HI everyone-

We had a 55gal reef for a couple of years- but here is my dilema-Now that we have decided on getting back into the hobby, I know I want to go bigger and was looking at 100+ gals, specifically the tank being at least 5' long as I have read many of the fish need it. I plan on doing a FOWLR and I also want an anenome-

I am also considering a 90 so this is where I would like to get some opinions- People with 90's are you still wanting to go bigger or are you happy?

People with 100+ what do you have that you couldn't in a 90?

I am also interested in how much everyones electric bill goes up with everything running- My 55gal didn't raise our bill too much but we also didn't have halides on it!!??

Thanks in advance for all info.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

So far my 90 is doing well. 48x18x25. I use T-5's and keep it as simple as possible. Be sure it's reef ready, plan a large sump and you'll be set. My electric bills aren't bad. Now gas bills, that's another story.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:59 AM
Team RC Member

I don't have a 100+ setup yet, nor a 90, but I can tell ya that you'll have alot more options in the 100g+ system than a 90g. livestock wise anyways, and the larger water volume will yield more room for error as well.

Going FOWLR is typically easier, but since you want an anemone, going to have to have a nice mature tank (recommended to wait at least 6months to a year after setting the tank up so it can mature properly and stabalize) You'll also want to treat water quality as you would for a reef tank. keep it nice and clean, going to require good lighting. More than a Fowlr alone would need.

fwiw on electric bills. I had a 55g setup for going on 3 years now. Since running that tank, I've since added a 2 x 75g system, a 20g High, and a few other smaller tanks, Most are reef tanks, some FO, couple freshwater....I didn't notice an increase in my bill at all. surprisingly. But I also shop for equpiment with wattage and usage in mind. Koralia's for circulation (low wattage) and T5 lighting. Although I did run 3 x 250w on a 75g for awhile, it didn't seem to effect the bill much anyways. No central heat/air, poor insulation and overall, horrible little house I'm in and never had an electric bill over $150 in the past 3 years with fish tanks in all the rooms. Not to shabby.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/27/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

The tank definately has to be reef ready- I am too scared to drill- if something happens all that $ down the drain-
down and outman- what do you have for stock??
Old 12/27/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Thanks papagimp- thats why I am aiming at 100+ - with everything I have read- that is what I am understanding that it leaves less room for error- I absolutely loved our reef and miss it but I want to focus more on fish and maybe later go back to reef.
We will absolutely wait a long time before the anenome addtion- I want it to be healthy and happy!

Thanks for the info!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Oops forgot to comment on the lighting for the nems- do they need halides, I have read on the anenomes and clownfish forum and see people have different lighting-
Old 12/27/2007, 11:12 AM
Team RC Member

I have 2 Bubble tip anemone's (which I'd personally recommend as they seem a little easier to care for and host most anemonefish easily) and i keep em both under T5 HO fixtures. One is under a 4 bulb unit, the other a 6 bulb, but only just started running all 6 bulbs on it. Already had the RBTA split 4 times on me, the green bubble tip is still a baby and waiting on him to grow up some, but he's doing that quickly. Feed em both every other day, silversides and krill, occasionally some mysis, they seem to be thriving very well.

Old 12/27/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

papagimp- I have read alot about the BTA'S being easier- thanks for the lighting info. I will add it to my growing list of what I need!!
And it begins again haha
Old 12/27/2007, 11:23 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j4mypets

And it begins again haha
famous last words right their. lol.

Old 12/27/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks papagimp- thats why I am aiming at 100+ - with everything I have read- that is what I am understanding that it leaves less room for error- I absolutely loved our reef and miss it but I want to focus more on fish and maybe later go back to reef.
We will absolutely wait a long time before the anenome addtion- I want it to be healthy and happy!

Thanks for the info!
also go with a long tank rather then a high one. If you are going to keep tangs --they need the swimming room. Also for you anenome--less water depth to push lumens through so you can get away without halides.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

capn_hylinur- I really think thats why I am leaning toward the bigger tank - the swimming room- Is it just tangs that need the xtra length or all?

My idea so far is :
An angel of some kind
A tang of some kind ( we had a powder blue in our 55g he didn't do well-- duh newbie mistake)
a couple of clowns- and an anenome
So far thats as far as I have gotten- don't know what else to go with them yet-First I had to decide on the tank, and I think I will go with at least a 60" or 72"- Although I don't want to go to big- The jump from 55 to 100+ is nerve racking enough.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
capn_hylinur- I really think thats why I am leaning toward the bigger tank - the swimming room- Is it just tangs that need the xtra length or all?

My idea so far is :
An angel of some kind
A tang of some kind ( we had a powder blue in our 55g he didn't do well-- duh newbie mistake)
a couple of clowns- and an anenome
So far thats as far as I have gotten- don't know what else to go with them yet-First I had to decide on the tank, and I think I will go with at least a 60" or 72"- Although I don't want to go to big- The jump from 55 to 100+ is nerve racking enough.
no alot of other fish can benifit from a longer stretch of swimming area.
Not many fish swim vertically so a 120 gal high doesn't provide the longer type of swimming area that help some fish get up to speed.

the jump up should not be never racking at all---you get so much more stability in water parameters ect with more gal and much more margin to make small mistakes
eg even last night I was dosing two part---this was after a night of company drinks ect--I mistakingly doubled up on the alk part--it really had little affect on the total water column--tank plus sump plus refugium.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I can't tell you how much that puts my mind to rest- Now I am really starting to get excited instead of freaked out!

Thank you! and at least you didn't put the alk part in your drink!! LOL
Old 12/27/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Well ... IME, if you're on a tight budget there will be a sweet spot as far as upkeep goes. I've got a 90 and I know I'm limited, however, considering the cost of salt mix, RO water (water changes and top-off), CUC and suppliments, I wouldn't be able to take care of a much larger system and keep it healthy. I couldn't keep a 250 gal tank that was evaporating 3-5 gal a day and needed a 10% water change a week.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:36 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
capn_hylinur- I really think thats why I am leaning toward the bigger tank - the swimming room- Is it just tangs that need the xtra length or all? .....
i agree with the previous comments on this, plenty of fish will be much better off with the added swimming room, plus, that added room will yield more surface space in all likelyhood (I know, depends on the actual tank specs) as well as providing more homes and larger territories for the various fish in the tank.

I'd recommend a 6ft tank if at all possible. seems to be a nice length for tangs in general.

As for your fish list, make sure to have two of the same clown species, don't try different species. Angels stand a good chance at eating on your corals, many are strict corallivores, so reserach the individual specimens very carefully ahead of time. unless it's fish only, than no worries on corals, but possibly the anemone. Research will definatly be your friend on this one.

It may seem like a big jump, but i can almost guarantee that you'll like having a larger system much more than the 55g. When I upgraded to the 75g from a 55g, the added room made a world of differnce, especially with the aquascaping. I was able to make the tank "look" alot bigger. Then I added the second 75g to the system and it only got better. It's fun watching a pair of maroons and a pair of B&W ocellairs stare at each other through the glass. Think the maroons are jealous of the larger anemone just out of reach, lol.

Old 12/27/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Awwwe those poor maroons! LOL

Ok 6ft it is, let the search continue! Everytime I think I find the perfect tank- its always 10 states away- or if its around here its not reef ready, its gotta be out there somewhere! My lfs has a 150 with stand and canopy for $1350 (and the crappy lights that come with it). Think I can do better???
Old 12/27/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Tang, Cherub Angel, True Percula, Citron Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, One batch of green polyps, a few mushrooms, pincushion urchin, snails and crabs and a brittle star. I have enough fish at this point. I'm going after corals. Next I want some colorful Ricordea and other softies. My Tang seems to like the room, I have a lot of holes for him to swim around in.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I haven't had a prob with my Cherub Angel bothering my polyps or shrooms. I do keep them well fed. They run to the front corner every time I walk by. He's got awesome blue flourecent color. I've chosen easy to care for fish as I want to concentrate on corals.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jehudson
Well ... IME, if you're on a tight budget there will be a sweet spot as far as upkeep goes. I've got a 90 and I know I'm limited, however, considering the cost of salt mix, RO water (water changes and top-off), CUC and suppliments, I wouldn't be able to take care of a much larger system and keep it healthy. I couldn't keep a 250 gal tank that was evaporating 3-5 gal a day and needed a 10% water change a week.
my total water column is 180 gals. I use 90ml of b-ionics two part per day to keep a 8.1 pH, 9.3 alk, and 400 calcium levels. I need to only add t-m magnesium every two weeks.
That's about 35 dollars a month on dosing.
Add a carbon change every three weeks and a phosban every two months that brings it up to around 40 dollars.
Really not that much---and it could be even cheaper then that if I used Randy's recipes outline in the reef chemistry form.