Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2005, 08:42 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Special thanks goes to nine9d for the addition of two cool banners for the swap. I'll be posting them later when I get a lunch break today at work.
Old 02/23/2005, 08:45 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Here's a reminder of the web page again:

www.troyradtke.com

or head to this thread as the official sign up thread with instructions:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...18#post4380218
Old 02/25/2005, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

BUMP.

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 02/25/2005, 09:24 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

In the processes of compiling all the information. Taking a bit longer than I thought so I'll hope to have a good update this weekend. Should have started this while I was home sick last week with nothing to do... =?P

Good news is that my ReplayTV is toast, so now I won't have to worry about watching tv shows that I wanted to record with it, so more time to work on this all too....
Old 02/27/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Ok well I just thought I would let everyone in on some tips. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought my Thermos's I bought two of the Cambells soup thermos's. The were $3.94 each, I don't think you can get them any cheaper on-line. I found them in the kitchen section, where they have all the tupperware and such. I also ordered some boxes from USPS. The boxes are free, but take a few weeks to be delivered so order now. Finally I read that if you fill the thermos with very hot water, for 20-30 mintues prior to adding the frag, it will help the thermos stay warmer. Of course you pour out the water before you add the frag. Well here are some links to the boxes and pics of what thermos I bought.

If you have a big thermos I would use this box

My thermos should fit in this box

And finally here is the link to order, but order soon so they get to you in time. You can also usually go get them at the post office. But mine does not stock boxes for some reason. HTH.
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po.../Priority+Mail
Old 02/27/2005, 06:49 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Thanks for the info!
Old 03/05/2005, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Hey peeps, I just wanted to do test run of how the priority shipping would work. So a member on RC was nice enough to donate some frags and his time.

The frags were put in some nice small thermoses with water. I was sent two different kinds of zoo's and some button polyps. The package was mailed on Monday and arrived on Wednesday. It was mailed from Spokane, WA to Manhattan, KS. The temp in KS at the time was high of 40 degrees. When they arrived they were very well packaged and had no leaks. Shipping was $5 for priority.

Ok well how did every thing do? Well the zoo's looked very good and had no weird smells. They were placed in the tank and opened by friday. The buttons smelled like death and looked it also. But knowing how tough they are I put them in the tank. By Friday they were also open and look good. I am still waiting for them to fully color up, but I had no deaths and everything looks great.

I just wanted to share this so that people could see that if we do priority, not only will we save a ton of money, but it will work. I took pics of everything and will post them in the next few days when I get a chance to upload them, and snap some of how they look now.

Ok well if you have any questions let me know.
Old 03/05/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Hey you can count me in

thanks for doing this
Old 03/05/2005, 11:22 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Priority is the cheapest way to go. Otherwise this can cost close to $100 for shipping for some people!
I just recieved zoos from Southern Cali to Southern New York. Took 3 days to get to me, they opened in 3 hours; and we had a large snow storm here in NY the day they shipped. No mortalities.
Paid $20 USPS priority mail.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 03/06/2005, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

When the weather gets a bit warmer it will be ever smoother doing Priority mail. And we can all get good stuff cheap!
Old 03/09/2005, 09:17 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I talked to the lady at the FedEx depot down the street from where I worked and she said that next day shipping from a downtown L.A zip to a downtown NYC zip was about $14 for 2lbs, which is what my thermos weighed with water in it.

Once again, I'll say that the preferred method is next day, but if BOTH of you agree to 2 day delivery, then go for it. I hope everyone understands that with about 40 people doing this (~80 shipments) 1 is bound to get lost somewhere and 1 is destined to self-destruct in transit. Next day is just less time in limbo where something can happen.

If a shipping company can lose a $20,000.00 server for 3 weeks, I'm sure losing a small frag box that sitting on a cart for about a day has odds that even the guys at Vegas wouldn't offer a bet on.

Just remember to be good to each other! I like happy people. No, really, I do..... =?)
Old 03/10/2005, 01:43 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Humm, $14 from LA to NYC! That's even better then USPS.
Maybe I shall reconsider?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 03/10/2005, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Enter shipping information Enter package information Get rate quote

All packages are being shipped from 19301, U.S.A. to 90210, U.S.A. (Zone 8) on March 10, 2005.

Service
Delivery commitment
Rate (US$)

FedEx First Overnight®
8:00am or 8:30am the next business day to major cities

FedEx Priority Overnight®
10:30am the next business day to most cities

FedEx Standard Overnight®
3:00pm the next business day to most cities

FedEx 2Day®
4:30pm in 2 business days to most cities

FedEx Express Saver®
4:30pm in 3 business days to most cities

Those are the rate fedex gave me from PA to CA, thats of course the worst it will get.
Old 03/10/2005, 01:30 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Ok, I'm guessing the info that I got was way wrong then.....

I'll stop by there tonight and beat some heads around.
Old 03/10/2005, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Yeah overnight on average is $40, I was amazed to here $17. But I just did another test swap and had a ricordia sent to me in the mail in a thermos. Mailed on Monday arrived on wednesday. Looks great, opened up no problems. I also shipped some zoo's to him and he said they were looking very good.
Old 03/10/2005, 02:26 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I'll make adjustments to the rules then tonight if I feel I need to and update tomorrow with what my offical statement on this will all be.

I know I ruffled some feathers when I said next day, and I'm sure I'll ruffle a few more if I change it to two day. But I know a lot of people said they were doing this to save money, and I think $160 is a bit much to spend on shipping......
Old 03/11/2005, 11:42 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Bah, people at FedEx were not making me happy last night. Second day shipping it is.

I'll make the adjustment to the web pages tonight since I never made it to my place last night.

I got about the same numbers as Ben did when I grilled them at the counter. The difference in price between 2nd day and Express is so low that the method will be 2nd day.

If anyone has major issues with with, feel free to either post here or e-mail me if you'd perfer to do that.
Old 03/12/2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm... so what exactly does priority mail gaurantee? If people could use the flat rate priority boxes that could save money.

I know that personally I'm going to be contacting whomever my partners are and asking if they'd rather do overnight.
Old 03/12/2005, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

I would prefer overnight, but for $40 I can go to my LFS and get exactly what I want. The whole point of this is to save a couple bucks. Whoever I trade with I will be sending priority and am just fine with it coming back that way. I have tried this twice already and havent had any problems.

If you don't think that priority will work, then take me off the list. If I am gonna spend $80 I will just go to the LFS and get exactly what I want.
Old 03/13/2005, 10:19 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Per USPS site:
Priority Mail (1 to 3 days) (flat rate box)
Priority Mail is used for documents, gifts, and merchandise. Any mailable item may be sent as Priority Mail. The maximum weight is 70 pounds. The maximum size is 108 inches or less in combined length and distance around the thickest part. Mark each package "Priority Mail" in the postage area or use a USPS-provided Priority Mail envelope or box.

Features

Priority Mail offers 1-3 day service to most domestic destinations. Priority Mail envelopes, labels, and boxes are available at no additional charge at most post offices or by calling 1-800-222-1811. Pickup service is available for $12.50 per stop, regardless of the number of pieces.

Priority Mail Flat-Rate Box (more info) 2 Day(s)(or 3) $7.70

Per FedEx
FedEx 2Day (2nd Business Day - ship tuesday, get wed by 4:30)
Delivery Times By 4:30 p.m. in 2 business days to most areas (by 7 p.m. to residences). Check transit times.
Service Days Monday–Friday, with Saturday service available for an additional charge.
Delivery Area Available to and from all 50 U.S. states.
Package Size and Weight Up to 150 lbs. each; 119" in length; 165" in length plus girth (L+2W+2H).

Using the zip codes from above, it's about $17.50 to go west to east coast, but at $9 for staying in that region. Cost varries. Used 4lbs.

Per UPS:
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Guaranteed by: By End of Day
Thursday March 24, 2005
Billable Weight: 4.0 lbs.

26.33*
Old 03/13/2005, 10:27 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

If you're sending coast to coast, then flat rate express USPS will take 3 days. If you live just about anywhere else, it should only be two days but it may take three.

If you're sending coast to coast, then look at FedEx second business day. For less than $20 you get 2nd business day by 4:30 business/7:00 residential delivery.

UPS is just plain expensive.

Everyone has to remember these numbers are CA to PA, if it's CA to FL or WI to KS, the prices could be a lot LESS.
Old 03/13/2005, 10:38 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

BTW, using FedEx for both no matter where you are sending it, 2nd business day, the cost for shipping will not go over $40 TOTAL.

AND since the shipping guideline is for 2nd day now, the most ANYONE could pay if they want to is $40. The last time I check the stores in central Wisconsin (which was yesterday) I picked up the ONLY two retail zoanthid frags in the cities of Wausau and the surrounding areas, and within 100 miles, and I paid $40 per and they're no bigger than what we're swapping.

$80 for 2 and one day of my life and 370 miles on my car and $30 in gas vs $40 shipping for 2..... I can't see this being more expensive for anyone this way.....
Old 03/13/2005, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

For me I have stores in the area that I can buy from and get a 60 polyp frag for $39.99. There are tons of differant color choices for me. So if I want to spend $40 I will get what I want. So if you want to drop me that is fine just let me know. I would really prefer to send priority. As I have said I had some stuff sent to me twice and both times all did well. I have also been in contact with several members that have done a mass swap similar to this. He stated they had about 30 people involved and used priority. The had zero losses.
Old 03/13/2005, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

I too am really only willing to send priority, if you want to drop me also let me know.
Old 03/13/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

the whole point of thermos trading Is to send priority. Otherwise, why do you need the thermos? I have been looking forward to this for weeks, but if I can't ship USPS priority, then there is really no point.