Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Laminate hold the weight?

Hey guys,
I plan on putting a tank in a room which has laminate floors, the kind that snap and fit together. It is a floating floor and rests upon a concrete floor. Just curious if anyone else here has a tank on a laminate floor, to see whats the biggest tank setup. I am hoping for at least a 125g. Thanks guys(and gals)
Joseph
Old 01/11/2008, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a 90 with a 30 gallon sump on my laminant floor on a slab.
I have never moved the tank so I hope it is still ok.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

It should be fine. The weight is spread over a large area so the actual pounds per square inch is probably not great enough to damage the floor. If it does cause a problem laminate floors are easy to repair. In my opinion it will be fine.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:49 PM
Master of Funk

My 180 is on carpet...on a plywood sub-floor. This is much "squishier" than a tank on laminate/concrete. I have it braced in the basement, but I still wish my tank was in your situation!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I had that same question- so I contacted the company that made the floor and this is wat they said "It is fine as long as there is some type of cushion under the stand such as felt, b/c the stand may cause scratches and ultimately damage the floor". They also mentioned that most people put very heavy furniture on the floor and there is no problem with that.

When the flooring is installed, there are spaces by the base molding that allow the floor boards to move! This will allow the floor to relax (expand and contract).

You will be fine!

Just leave at least a 1 inch spacing from the base molding, but this should not be a problem b/c most tanks are more than 1 inch away from the wall!!