Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 03:49 AM
TRC Leader

From what I was told by the trainers, Otters can be pretty ferocious if they want to be. I think I'll just watch

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/11/2008, 11:46 AM
I play with water

A little back story on those Clarion's...

They originally came from a confiscated alleged illegal shipment that passed thru L.A. about 3 years back. I won't get into specific numbers but the shipment was pretty large and they were in very bad shape. Sadly, the majority didn't make it.

Clarion #1 went into Garden Eels and was doing extremely well last I checked. He would just about eat out of your hand. Clarion #2 was in holding up on the 3rd floor above the large Tank (aka: Big Trop) and was only visible on behind the scenes tours. Last I heard he was slated to go into Sea of Cortez but why he wound up in the Anthias exhibit I do not know.

And for those interested in owning one, the only viable opportunity that I am aware of to legally own one here in the U.S. looks like it will be thru those collected from Baja/Mexico as they have somehow found their way there. Whether they are a hybrid or a pure blood line seems to still be up for dabate. Either way, a few are trickling in, but the days of 400.00 Clarions are long gone.

These fish are expected to fetch several thousand dollars on the open market when they clear customs.

Brett

Last edited by Putawaywet; 01/11/2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818
I want to swim with the otters!
And I wanted to steal them !

"Am I gay for seeing a musical with two girls?" ~LOL hmmm ~

"A good kick in the nuts solves everything"
Old 01/11/2008, 11:52 AM
Reef slave

no clubing them either.=).. lol
Old 01/11/2008, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wishntoboutside
no clubing them either.=).. lol

I just want to them as a pet hahah I promise

Old 01/11/2008, 12:20 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Putawaywet
Clarion #2 was in holding up on the 3rd floor above the large Tank (aka: Big Trop) and was only visible on behind the scenes tours.
Thanks Brett, that's the one I took the picture of. It was in the frag tank so you could get really close to it for a good picture.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/11/2008, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

ive heard some of the local wholesaler dudes went to jail for bringing them clarions in...
Old 01/11/2008, 12:48 PM
I play with water

Well, I know Fish and Game was looking to prosecute one importer in particular. Apparently, his story was that they were all legally imported. F&G didn't seemed to agree. It was serious enough at the time that F&G wanted all DOA's bagged for pickup. It was the first time I had ever heard of a fish being referred to as "evidence" before.

Brett
Old 01/11/2008, 05:20 PM

Mind if I post some of the pics I took as well?

Here's their two cylindrical acrylic tanks containing the large leather.. what a sweet setup

Another cylindrical tank with a mangrove... imagine this in your living room.....

More cylinder setup.. this one's right next to the tidepool where you can touch the inverts..

The tank with the HUGE Montipora Capricornis..

The SPS tank.... this one's mind boggling. If you look at the tank it looks like there's not enough flow.. but the corals are thriving! Also, if they are using 10K's, why does it look very blue?

Clownfish dominated tank

This is THE huge display with gigantic Hippo tangs. This tank is HUMONGOUS. It's insane. Right above the viewing area is a warning that says: "Ozone Alarm - Evacuate the area if Ozone is detected" or something like that. Pretty cool.

This is the "calm" tank - a South Pacific biotope that looks exactly like my back yard in the Philippines

Here's the outdoor lagoon. Imagine having this on your backyard.... complete with mangroves, Hippos, and Moorish Idols... so beautiful.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:40 PM
I play with water

I really love the "Please Do Not Touch" signs on those cylinders. Stand there for 15 minutes and I can guarantee someone's finger WILL go into one of those tanks as soon as the volunteer turns their head.

Last edited by Putawaywet; 01/11/2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:46 PM
TRC Leader

15 minutes? When those bus loads of kids show up it takes about 30 seconds!

I wish they had signs that pointed towards the touch pools instead.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/11/2008, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Oh man, people need to stop this... When I went they said they have Hippos and Moorish Idols. Then they said they are gone... I really thought they had the huge Hippos... the kind that eat people.

Hippo Tangs, Regal Tangs, Blue Tangs at least... The word Tang holds so much LMAO damn....

ps.. In my backyard I will take some otters any day and spank them when they wanna get crazy... I will win in a breathe holding competition any day

Last edited by 818; 01/11/2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

dp

Old 01/11/2008, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 818
Oh man, people need to stop this... When I went they said they have Hippos and Moorish Idols. Then they said they are gone... I really thought they had the huge Hippos... the kind that eat people.

Hippo Tangs, Regal Tangs, Blue Tangs at least... The word Tang holds so much LMAO damn....

ps.. In my backyard I will take some otters any day and spank them when they wanna get crazy... I will win in a breathe holding competition any day
YEAH FOR THE LAST TIME THOSE DARN TANGS AND IDOLS GONE LIKE THE WIND !

If you spank my babies I will club you !

Old 01/11/2008, 07:32 PM
I play with water

Ken, you wouldn't believe what I saw. Totally common to see parents actually lifting kids up so they could stick their hands in coral lagoon (the "calm" tank that XTM posted above) so they could try and touch the fish. I amused myself by waiting until they went fingers wet and then I would call out over the crowd in one of those polite but firm... "Oh please don't do that, some of those fish BITE!

It was hilarious how fast they reeled those kids back in.

Brett
Old 01/11/2008, 08:12 PM

BTW, One of those "North American Coast" tanks right across the theater have a low-arching concrete "frame" that is easy to miss. I sat there for 10 minutes and didn't realize it was there. When I got up, I hit my head HARD it almost cracked.. lol I'm sure I wasn't the only person who got hit by that wall..