Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 03/03/2006, 06:25 PM
Here's lookin at you

Here's some new pics. I modified the tank alittle by adding a tube to the box in the back to help eliminate microbubbles. In order to drill the hole I had to take the siliconed in box out, and accidently cracked the back alittle you can see the repair.

Here it is set up and ready for a plant, and lighting.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 03/03/2006, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Graveyardworm:

ok... now you've done it... I gotta see more pix of your setup. Do you have a whole room dedicated to the addiction? I'm envious! I currently rent so I'm limited to easily (relative term) movable setups. I'd LOVE to have my plumbing routed out and about - but the wife would probably kill me unless I had my own room for it ... Gotta see some pix so I can start living vicariously through you ROFL.

Also, have you had any problems with that shelving system you are using for the tank? It looks very similiar to one we used at one of my clients and the darn think kept bending with weight and eventually started to pull out of the dry wall (I'm sure you have it anchored better than just dry wall, but you get the idea.) It looks nice. It would make a great little rack system with 10 gal tanks stacked for macro or other cultivation.

I like your design for the bubble trap btw. So, the water spills into the ball chamber, then works it's way through the balls and out the drain tube, and exits at surface level... smart thinking...
So, is the water level in the ball chamber at tank level?

Dandy:

I'm supposed to get one from a friend beginning of the week, I should be able to get pix of stuff then. As for the additional thread - I think I would get laughed out of the DIY forum on my virgin post LOL... I might post something in the predatory forum (if they'll have me ) once I get pics. But - I agree - we should give the thread back to our tolerant friend.

Tek:

I think that container would work great. I'm not sure how deep it is, but it may be a little hard to get any flow over the top of the DSB to show off the submerged aerial roots. BUT, it'll make an almost perfect grow out tank to show off the trees trunk and leaves. you could probably fit 5 or 6 plants of ~4 to 5 years old in there with their roots nicely intertwined - should look great.

The really nice part about these trees is that with the sugar sized grain sand we use for a DSB, transplanting should be a piece of cake. You could use waste water from a system waterchange to rinse the DSB right out of the container and remove the plants from the container 100% intact without damaging the roots (unintentionally). I don't have much experiance with Mangroves in regards to root pruning, but this is a VERY common process in terrastrial plants used for Bonsai. I figure a few more years and I'll get to find out first hand about it as I'll be pruning my main mangrove (or upgrading tanks.... which may be more likely).
... still dreaming of a 15"wide x 14"tall x 12'long (yup, thats feet) lagoon system... going to practice by building the wife a 3' cube for her Koi...

Ok... I've wondered 'around' the mangrove topic enough for one post

Thanks,
John.
Old 03/03/2006, 11:50 PM
Here's lookin at you

I've got quite a few pics in the new lagoon thread, but I will have to take some new ones cause I've added quite a bit of stuff. It's a small room like 6 x 12, and it's about full. Right now my 90g mixed reef is in another part of the basement which needs to be finished. Once thats done I'll be expanding my room by another 9 x 12, and once the house renovation is done I'd like to add a small greenhouse for my addiction.

The water level in the ball chamber is level with the tank water. The only problem is its holding back my flow in the tank that drains into it so I'm gonna have to tweak the drain plumbing a little.

As far as the shelving I bought the strongest stuff I could find at HD, the shelf brackets themselves are good for like over 300 lbs the uprights they hook into, not nearly that much, but it's more than enough for a 10 gal tank just make sure you hit studs with your screws.

Old 05/12/2006, 12:38 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev

Its not pretty but thats what I'm planning on using for growing my mangroves. I'm home for spring break, so I have some time to work on the structure to hold these, and connect them to the sump, so I'll update once things get rolling.
Is that set up yet?

Graveyardworm, love the setup, what lighting did you decide on?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/12/2006, 12:55 PM
Here's lookin at you

I'm using a LOA 65 watt 6500k outdoor fixture. The single mangrove is doing well, there are also some macros in the tank which are doing very well. So far root growth is impressive, and this small tank probably wont contain the mangrove for much more than a year, but we'll see.

Old 05/12/2006, 01:36 PM
Here's lookin at you

Here's an updated pic probably a month old, I've made some minor plumbing changes which you can see Im in the process of here.

Old 05/12/2006, 02:51 PM
Premiun Member

Looks good David I really like your setup; it's unique
Old 07/19/2006, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

hello all....sorry to bring this back up.....

Contrasting info on some keeprs keeping the entire mangrove under water and some not keeping the leaves under water. I've seen both cases where the mangroves have done fine.

What do most of you do here?

Also, do you prune your mangroves at all? Roots and/or tops...
Old 07/20/2006, 07:35 PM
Here's lookin at you

I think keeping he leaves under the water would be bad, usually the seed pod is either suspended in the water, or the bottom is placed in a substrate with the top of the pod above the water.

Red mangroves which I believe are the more common ones typically do not take pruning very well. A well established tree with plenty of leaves could probably be pruned with no ill effects, but from what I've heard/read pruning the roots usually is not a good thing to do.

Old 07/20/2006, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

I agree, I myself do not keep my leaves under water. All the info I read said not to.

Someone brought up an interesting point, that when the props drop, they remain submerged under water until they can grow OUT of water, so why can't the props, go fully under water in our systems. Was pretty funny....

I've never trimmed any of mine....they don't grow so quickly and I had to keep mine suspended with styrofoam for a long while until the roots would hit the bottom. They now touch the bottom (in my old tank) not in the new tank it's housed in. I keep them raised a bit more to make the roots grow more, deeper and with more intricate looking patterns.

There is that write up that Anthony Calfo did that I love, on mangroves, in particular, red magroves. There was this one specimen used that was a TREE rather a prop, was amazing. A small tree, but nonetheless, nothing like a plain ol prop like most get. I'd like to do that sometime.....ANTHONY HAD MENTIONED THERE WERE DEALERS IN fLORIDA WHO SELL THE PLANTS AND CAN INFROM YOU OF THE SALINITY THEY ARE BEING GROWN IN, oopps, sorry bout those caps.

thanks for hitting this up.......
Old 07/20/2006, 08:46 PM
Here's lookin at you

I bought mine from an ebay seller, and was able to get the salinity it had been kept in with no problem. In this thread you'll find a bunch of links on mangroves that I dug up. Scroll down alittle bit.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...light=mangrove

Old 07/20/2006, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

thanks graveyardworm....i have sen those, those are great.

see the one nexus has? Compared to ours....his is like a plant/tree. Ours are just a single shoot of you will. Do you think you can direct to me where we would be able to attain maybe seeds rather than props or some more tree/plant looking specimens rather than our prop. types?
Old 07/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Here's lookin at you

Here are some new pictures. The first was taken on 6-10-06.

This one was taken today 7-21-06

Old 07/21/2006, 12:46 PM
Here's lookin at you

Triterium has gotten mangroves from I think its called Banana tree, or you could try Florida pets.

Banana tree

Old 07/21/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Thanks a bunch graveyardworm.....what growth you've had over just approx. one month. That's awsome.

I'll try to take some images of the one I have left, I busted up my other one.

Here is the one I'm speaking about from the member- the nexis one.

You'll certainly see the difference, I will PM him/her and ask about it. I check that banana link and thank you, they do have mangrove props for sale, but they will be like what we currently have ourselves.

Ok, pic won't work, I'll have to add it to my gallery first.
Old 07/21/2006, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Old 07/21/2006, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I H A T E to post mine after his gorgeous and amzing specimen but....mine are here

http://isleaquatica.com/gallery/v/algae/mangrove/
Old 07/21/2006, 07:41 PM
Here's lookin at you

Rocco, what kind of light are using for it? I like that Nexis is using the LOA fixtures on his tank, I thought of doing this myself on my lagoon with some actinic supplementation, but had never seen it done. Havent heard from Nexis in awhile I wonder whats up.

Old 07/21/2006, 08:24 PM
Here's lookin at you

Rocco, I was just browsing your website and noticed you have some unidentified macros. I'd like to take a stab at them.

First row 2nd pic - Botryocladia

Third row 3rd pic - Rhodymenia I have some identical stuff which was sold online as Rhodymenia.

Fourth row - Scinaia

Old 07/22/2006, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Hey David....I too use a LOA fixture on my 20gal Xtall reds shrimp tank. That is where the redmagrove prop. is as well. It's coming along nicely....I may get more down the road, we'll see.

Thanks for taking a stab at some of those macroalgaes for me, much appreciated. I will look into those species and check some other images out, thanks a lot. There's been so much back and forth about them I don't know which end is up!!!!
Old 03/26/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Any updated pics ??
Old 03/26/2007, 04:19 PM
Here's lookin at you

Mine grew too tall and was just about touching the light, and the light couldnt be adjusted up any higher. So it was moved to my lagoon tank.

Old 03/27/2007, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Nice, that must be great graveyard!

Mine since, died....I cannot remember how, but it was certainly fault of my own.

Once I have my custom tank up and running (if ever) I plan on throwing mangroves unter the t5's and see if I can get any growth like Nexis.
Old 03/27/2007, 11:28 AM
Here's lookin at you

Mine definatly did not appreciate the move from the sand bed it was in to being suspended in my lagoon. Leaf growth slowed alot, and it took a long time for the roots to make their way to the sand bed. Now that the roots have sunk into the SB growth has picked back up.

Old 03/27/2007, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Hi All! Sorry for my lack of activity, businesses have been booming and I haven't had the time or reliable interest to give this board the attention it deserves. My system has gone through many phases recently, which I hope to post up about in the near future. But for now, I got an email about an update in this thread and figured I would post up a quickie w/ an updated pic.

Hope this finds all of you well and systems growing strong.

Best wishes,
John.