Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2005, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Royal Gramma

I purchased a Royal Gramma and added it to my 30g cube three days ago. I have not seen it since. My question is, how long do they typicaly take to acclimate to there new surroundings?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 10/05/2005, 05:15 AM
Garbologist

Every fish is different. Some feel at home within minutes, while others will hide for days. It is a little unusual to not see a fish for three days, but it does happen.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/05/2005, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

The gramma that I had did hide. But I was able to see it from time to time. It stayed put in its cave most of the time but I knew where it was and was able to peek in to check up on it. Try to look for it just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 10/05/2005, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

My gramma hid too, for almost a week. They love caves and overhangs and get territorial with them. In my 12g he was not great because he considered the whole thing his territory and tormented my perc and firefish.
Old 10/05/2005, 10:03 PM
One Millionth Poster

I put one in 3 days ago, me thinks hes dead.
Old 10/05/2005, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Last night I finally spotted him. I fed the tank and could watch him through the tank reflection. Tonight he came out a little further. Do they ever become relaxed enough to swim out in the open? They are beautiful fish. It would be nice to see it out and about.
Old 10/06/2005, 06:14 AM
stop the insults, please

They are VERY shy at first. They'll eventually warm up, but they'll never be out swimming nonstop in the open like some other fish. Its just not in their nature. They like to hang out in caves and under overhangs. They do eventually start coming out around their cave more though, and once they settle in you'll see a lot more of them.
Old 10/06/2005, 09:31 AM
One Millionth Poster

Mine came out too!
Old 10/06/2005, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

My gramma hangs out in the water column quite a bit. He's been in the tank about a month. 140 gallons/ 200 # live rock.
Old 10/06/2005, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I had a gramma that love to hide in a hole on a piece of liverock that was an overhang. It also loved to basicaly lay down on the one rock to hide even though you could obviously see it through the front of the tank. after awhile it would come out all the time esp. before feeding! I wouldn't worrie about not always being able to see it though.