Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2003, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Asparagopsis taxiformis

Who has had this stuff and been successful in beating it?

Mine started out as a little patch on a new rock with some zoanthids on it a little over a year ago. It has since exploded and taken over every rock in the tank. Same with the refugium.

At first I thought this stuff was a sp. of Gelidium, but I soon learned that was not the case. Ater a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that this stuff in none other than Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte state.

I was able to glean a lot of information from this thread in Eric's forum.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
In this thread Edsreef talked about a sample of his he sent to Dr. David L. Ballantine from the University of Puerto Rico Dept. of Marine Sciences. Here was the Dr's response:

Hi Ed:
The red algal sample made it to me this morning safely. Your red
alga is something that used to be called Falkenbergia hillebrandii.
However, it was found to be a morphologically different life history
alternate of another red alga (approx. 20 years ago) that had been formally described earlier, Asparagopsis taxiformis. So by taxonomic rules of priority the latter name is correct. So your plant is the sporophyte (or diploid) generation of Asparagopsis taxiformis. It is quite a common alga in reef environments and growing on mangrove roots throughout the Caribbean. It gets as far south as Brazil and as far north as Florida and Bermuda. One of its interesting biochemical features is that it concentrates bromine. This probably makes it inedible to most herbivores - so that would complicate its control. It undoubtedly accompanied in a reduced state, one of your additions to your aquarium that originated in Florida or the Caribbean. Other than physical
periodic removal, I wouldn't know how to get rid of it. Sincerely,
Dave Ballantine

David L. Ballantine
Department of Marine Sciences
P.O. Box 9013
University of Puerto Rico
MayagĂĽez, Puerto Rico 00681

I have also gathered from conversation with other hobbyists that there are a few expierenced reefers out there who fought the battle and eventually gave in and tore their systems down. In my quest for a fix I have tried all the standard pest algae controls you can think of.
  • Manual harvesting does not work. Algae has a tenaciuos grip and is somewhat like valonia in that if one little strand gets away from you....well, you know that story.
  • No luck in finding a natural predator...snails, fish, crabs, limited success with urchins (but, they can only stomach so much before they move on
  • Tank nutrient control has little to no effect (strong skimmer in place, tank feeding decreased drastically, boatloads of water changes)

I am looking for any and all expierences anyone may be able to provide.
Old 03/27/2003, 10:35 PM
Reefer

The following is mostly theory, as I have never had a problem with Asparagopsis sporophytes, except maybe keeping them alive.

---

Yes, Asparagopsis taxiformis concentrates bromine into secondary metabolites, for example bromoform and dibromoacetic acid, and yes, these are proven deterrents to many would-be herbivores.

Nevertheless, your experience with the urchins should be instructive. I've mentioned frequently before how urchins can go 'drunk' after consuming too much of some 'red hair' (be it Asparagopsis, Gelidium or other). They can't eat a whole lot, but they nevertheless will consume some.

Normally everything from urchins down to amphipods would be taking nibbles at the simpler, sporophyte phase of this alga, before moving on. The cumulative effect of these short bites may constitute a control.

HOWEVER...
In some cases, having a sizeable and diverse complement of herbivores FAVORS Asparagopsis dominance.

Herbivore-exclusion experiments in the wild ---for example Sala & Boudouresque 1997 showed that Asparagopsis dominance was eliminated by the resulting resurgence of of more-edible algae --the very competitors that herbivores would have eaten all up: cages were used to keep urchins, fish and other large-ish herbivores out.

Apparently when algae are allowed to duke it out with suppressed interference from herbivores, the preferred food of these herbivores kick Asparagopsis butt. Apart from any hostile secondary metabolites leaked/employed by the more-edible algae AGAINST Asparagopsis, there is good old overgrowth/overtopping and possibly nutrient hogging that may explain how they do it.

So, theoretically, if you're crazy enough, you can allow the dominance of a known edible alga up to a point where Asparagopsis gives up the ghost, then sic the herbivores on the edibles to get a clean slate and seed the substrate with something we can all love and cherish, like live coral, sponges or some of the more aggressive crustose corallines (though less aggro than that homicidal Pneophyllum everyone is whining about, of course)

-----

I have TRIED to get A. taxiformis sporophytes to grow in my basin-system, all by their lonesome in one basin. The lighting, temp, and water are all good for decent coral growth (indeed especially for algal growth). The terminal basin (pre-sump) is chock-full of rock and macroalgae, over forty species observed and thriving, with about thirty more transient in the past.

The A. taxiformis simply did not prosper.
My Diadema setosum made very short work of the fluff (about 4 square inches each time). Without any large herbivore present, the basin was quickly colonized by spores/zygotes from the system's older algal residents, and the swatch of A. taxiformis declined within DAYS into nothing.

hth.
horge

Last edited by horge; 03/27/2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03/28/2003, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Horge - Thank you for your response. I was hoping you would see this thread and offer your opinion.

I had seen your previous posts on the urchins and the "drunk" effect. I am currently using a small herd of Mespilia globulus in an attempt at control. I was thinking of adding some Diadema savignyi also to see if they would have any appetite for this stuff. I think I may try and locate some setosum also.

I will also try and put your idea of Herbivore-exclusion to work in my refugium. Perhaps another diverse influx of competing algae would be in order. More diversity would be welcome there regardless.
Old 04/04/2003, 10:01 PM
Minion

Breakthrough!

I picked up a pair of larger rabbitfish that we received from a tank breakdown on thursday. Well, both are much larger, AND fatter then the ones we normally get from the wholesaler. (wholesale ones we get seem to be always emaciated). Well, to make a long story short, I left the store a happy man thursday, having picked up two varigatus (sp?) rabbits that had been in a tank for over two years...

Tonight I see both of them slowly chomping on my Asparagopsis. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can eat it faster then it can grow.

Will update as I can...

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 04/23/2003, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

Horge and I spoke of this awhile ago. I will try to gather as many pictures and as much information as I can and post back.

Somewhere in 2000 I noticed this red macro algea on one rock that looked REALLY kewl under actinics.

Aprox 75 awsome sps frags later the battle started.

Life is Good - Phill
Old 04/24/2003, 08:39 AM
Reefer

Phill,

Hey there, old buddy!

If and when you do get clear pics of that reddish nightmare, ...post away! My e-mail account seems to obliterate all image attachments sent to it... sigh.
Old 10/17/2003, 12:20 PM
Any South Siders?

Seems i have this issue also, see pic!
Its really only on two rocks, the largest of course, and two smaller tonga branches.
ive been batteling this for about 6 months now! Seems to go away alittle at a time, but still hanging around and comes back with a vengence!

You think that i can remove the red cover rocks to a QT and rid of it that way?

No light, no food, skimmer and H20 changes!
What do you think?

Algea problem

RK
Old 10/17/2003, 10:15 PM
10 & Over Club

Since it's isolated to just a couple of rocks the QT in the dark trick should work out fine

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/18/2004, 12:27 AM
stinky reefer

I am also having a problem with this red algae. I was doing some research and read that the Turbo fluctuosus prefers red algae over green and brown micro-algae. I was wondering if any of you guys with Asparagopsis have any of these Pacific turbo snails and if so do they eat the algae? Thanks.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Found this old thread

I'm battling this algae now and wanted to hear some updates - success stories I hope!!
And with the success stories please share how you won the battle.
THanks!
Old 12/10/2007, 09:31 AM
Here's lookin at you

Some Turbo snails are reproted to eat it. There was an article posted here somewhere indicating that Turbos of Pacific origin would eat it, and competition for nutrients with a fast growing macroalgae like cheatomorpha. Basically the same as with most nuisance microalgae. Better control of nutrient imports and increase exports. You wont fix it overnight, but with better controls it will slowly go away.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 12/10/2007, 10:22 AM
10 & Over Club

The large Mexican Turbo's have been reported to eat it.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/10/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!
I bought 2 (all the store had) fairly large turbo snails. At first I was impressed they seem to be working on it. Well here on day 2, they seem about half dead, not dead but not moving around or attaching to anything, yet not closed up tight either. I'm hoping they are just gorged on the algae, and will be okay, I took care in acclimating them to the tank. But I wasn't overly impressed with the store they came from, these were the only 2 snails they had in the store. And they also had this red fuzzy algae and the green bubble algae over taking several of their tanks. They could only tell me they were turbo snails but not which type.
I got a small sally light foot crab too. she picks at it - not sure if she eats it or just plucking it outta her way.
Does anyone have a place to reccomend -where I can order Mexican turbo's that will have Hearty, maybe even tank raised snails? Or a shop in Mid or NE OH.

I'm still waiting to hear a SUCCESS story.
I'd be happy to get it back in check, atleast. I have cheato growing which is some what covered in the red algae now.
I've also started using phos-X.
Here's a bad pic. off the snails tried several times but can't get a good shot.

Thanks for replying Bill and David.
P.S. Creed rocks! wish they'd hook back up!

Last edited by brat213; 12/10/2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:40 PM
Here's lookin at you

Here's an article

http://www.marineland.com/seascope/ss2003_issue3.pdf

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed