Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 01/07/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Hair algae problems

Anyone have any advice/suggestions on getting rid of my hair algae? To be completely honest, I have no idea why I am getting any hair algae, with the possible exception of maybe a bad supplement. I was having some nitrate issues, but I upgraded the skimmer and added a fuge. My Nitrates and PO4 was just tested and came out at 0 for each. I also have put on a Phosban reactor with RowaPhos, as well as put in mangroves. Nothing has seemed to help other than just siphoning it off. So, I guess I am looking for any other biological means of removal. I bought a Rabbitfish, but am a little concerned that he may turn to eating the corals instead. The tank is a 240, so I have room to add some different things. Was thinking about getting an urchin. Anyone have any experience with these and hair algae? Also maybe a tang - I only have blue tangs that don't want anything to do with the stuff. sailfins, Koles, Yellow, Scopas? All advice eagerly awaited.

Oh yeah, the only other thing I can think of would be the lights - which are under a year old (though I am planning on ordering new bulbs now), but if my No3 and PO4 are zero, I can't imagine why the lights would matter?

Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 06:31 PM
It's Domo-kun

Do small water changes daily until the algae goes away. Try to siphon it out in the process. This is the safest and most effective way. Biological controls are spotty at best.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Raising your magnesium level is one way to deal with it. Read this for more info:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1222071
Old 01/07/2008, 08:46 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by skairik
Raising your magnesium level is one way to deal with it.
But that's only for bryopsis, not hair algae (if that's what it is).

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/08/2008, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Water changes, lowering light and lettuce nudibranchs did it for me. There's also this "stop hair algae" chemical that works but you have to trim the algae prior to adding it. I heard algae blennies work well too and a friend of mine used a black molly (with slow acclimation to salt water) that went crazy on his hair algae.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:29 AM
Premium Member

What do you have for filtration? If you have any type of mechanical filtration start cleaning it every 3 days. Run with the lights off for a week if you don't have a bunch of corals. One reason you have no detectable Nitrates and Phosphates is because the Algae is feed of of it. What do you have in your refugium besides mangrove. I would ad cheeto and run the light 24/7. Blow off your rocks and suck out what you can when doing water changes. Good luck!
Old 01/08/2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

what do you have as far as a cleanup crew?... Hermits and snails and a shorter photoperiod has always worked for me.. along with a more frequent small water change
Old 01/08/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

So many thgings to respond to here - I will try.

I may be crazy, but isn't bryopsis = hair algae? That said, I have definitely thought about upping the Mg levels, though I need to get a good kit to make sure I don't overdo it. I will definitely do the water change thing, but just ordered new filters and DI resin so I can't mix my own for a few days. I usually try to do Scripps water when possible though. Don't really want to lower light, as I don't want the corals to suffer, and I really don't think my photoperiod is excessive anyways. Would consider getting a nudibranch, but I have an Asfur angel, which I think would do it in. In my fuge I do run Chaeto and mangroves, but I can definitely up the timing of the fuge lamp to 24/7. As far as cleanup crew, I do have hermits and a variety of snails, but as I said in the thread opener, I am looking for any suggestions as to more types of potential cleanup crew inhabitants.

I read the thread for Mg - can anyone tell me about dosing Mg with epsom salts? Thanks all for the input thusfar!
Old 01/08/2008, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

You definitely don't want to raise your magnesium level with Epsom salt because of the high amount of sulfates you'd be adding. Use either Magflake or something like Kent Marine magnesium.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

GFO, but start slow.. like 1 gram/4 gallons for the first few weeks. what is your Po4?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

556 - sorry, but what is GFO? unfamiliar with that acronym. PO4 was at 0. thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

ferric oxide, or phos ban.. it does work.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

I could also be from Silicates. How is the DI resin? TDS?

I would use PO4 remover (Phosoban or Phosar, etc through a reactor) and 20% w/c.

Also pick up a Sally Lightfoot crab. She ate all my HA within a day and I still have her after 1 year. She hasn't touched any corals, clams, or shrimps -- model citizen.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

This is what I did with my algae problem. I reduced feeding (didn't feed 2 days a week), reduced my lighting (turned off lights 1 day a week), increased my water changes, and got a sea hare to take care of my hairy algae. Make sure you give the sea hare back to the LFS after it's done with your algae or it'll start eating other stuff in your tank.

It only took 2 weeks and my problem was completely solved. Hopes this helps.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Oh, and Ive tried emerald crabs and other clean up crews. They don't work or at least not for me.